Wiki Posts
Search

How to solve a DVD drive problem?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2010, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
How to solve a DVD drive problem?

Out of the blue, my DVD drive is not working. It disappeas from Windows Explorer (under My Computer). When I check the Device Manager inside Control Panel, it is there. I have tried to un-install & re-install; as well as update the driver to no avail. Look into description of problem, it give me this as shown below:
"Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a proble when it tried to run. The problem code is 39"

All cables and power are good.

BTW, while this DVD drive wass out of commission, I tried to plug in an external USB-DVD device. No dice. Exact same problem encountered.

Did a bit of searching online. Invested an hour or two reading. Read lots of people having similar problem, but I could not find one solution. Some mentioned something named StarForce (no clue what it is) might be screwing up the DVD and lockup its driver. I reeally dont understand itall but I tried download the fix, again to no avail.

I am about to trash my computer (2 year old, and good in all other manner except this) because I CANNOT do without a DVD drive.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Starforce is a particularly nasty copy protection scheme used on some games. It tries to stop you from copying the game disk even when the game isn't running. It's prone to messing up the use of the DVD for legitimate purposes.

I haven't heard of it making drives actually vanish, though. What it does is cause them to step down to insanely bad performance. There have been *CLAIMS* of actual hardware damage from it but they seem a little shaky to me.

If worst comes to worst do a repair install of Windows.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Before doing a repair install, you could try to do a restore to a time before the problems occurred.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:24 pm

check the BIOS if it is being detected. then try and open your desktop to see if the cables intact
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Hi loren, sbc & chee,
Thank you for your suggestions. I am not all that handy when it comes to fixing anything. Only know how to use computer. Re StarForce, I am not a gamer.

How do I do a reapir install of windows?

How would I do a restore operation?

I checked all cables and they are OK. I am cautius about messing with the BIOS as I don't know what I am doing.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chee4869
check the BIOS if it is being detected. then try and open your desktop to see if the cables intact
It's being detected--he sees the hardware but it doesn't get a drive letter because the driver is unhappy with something. Such messages are generally quite uninformative.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:24 am

Have you tried KB929461? Some programs, such as DVD recorders or games with copy protection, install "filter" drivers that work with the existing DVD drivers. The problem is when one of those drivers is bad -- it's corrupted, or missing due to a bad uninstall.

The article tells how to remove all references to those filters. You'll need to reinstall any program that depends on them.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Don't trash the computer because of a software problem. That's like throwing away a MP3 player because the music on it sucks.

Save your data, then reinstall Windows on it. After 2 years it's a good idea to reinstall Windows from scratch because it will speed up performance and allow you to start fresh.

Use a back up software like Acronis True Image to make a snapshot of your laptop once you have everything reinstalled. You can use True Image to roll back to the snap shot in the future should you run into problems.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by alanh
Have you tried KB929461? Some programs, such as DVD recorders or games with copy protection, install "filter" drivers that work with the existing DVD drivers. The problem is when one of those drivers is bad -- it's corrupted, or missing due to a bad uninstall.

The article tells how to remove all references to those filters. You'll need to reinstall any program that depends on them.
You might also try this fix for Code 39. I've also seen it work with Code 19 problems. There is a simpler registry fix, but this does the work for you automatically.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try a "system restore" and do back to before the problem happened. For me it solves most of the problems most of the time with little cost of any time and money. Nicest deal in windows.

MisterNice
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:21 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
deleted
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

My DVD Drive is now WORKING. Thank you all

Thank you to all who have been so helpful making suggestions & recommendations. I followed through with most of the suggestions and have learned a great in the process. At the end, it was deubsters link to the fix for code 39 that helped successfully ended my frustration. That DVD drive is now declared 100% functioning again!

That link points me to a page on the Microsoft site that deals specifically with code 39. I downloaded the app & launched it. In less than 3 minutes, the rest was history. In looking at the log, it found filter driver corrupted & fixed it in the process. Very impressive stuff.

You guys are AWESOME ^. I am indebted particularly to deubster for his quick diagnosis of the problem and pointed me to its solution. Thank you deubster.
^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.