Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

what percentage of people actually put their smartphone/laptop into airplane mode?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what percentage of people actually put their smartphone/laptop into airplane mode?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 1:29 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Radios always off - laptop and mobile phone.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Curious - with the planes that now have wi-fi service, how do they deal with skype?
That's an interesting question. Anyone know or tried it?

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
There are numerous threads here about using skype, most places are blocking the protocl outright. I have found that skype and vonage and fring work on my iphone though, and have made SOME calls in the lavatory just for fun to check it out. I think the traffic from the iphone apps at the time at least must have appeared different and therefore NOT blocked on UA or Delta since nothing worked on the laptop. As well, I cannot get slingplayer to work on delta on a laptop, but from the iphone it works fine. I think at the time they just weren't catching it properly.

That said, the skype quality was NOT good for a call, the latency of the internet connection was soo poor that there was a great deal of blocky speach and dropped data. It is NOT a viable voice solution (and I am pretty happy it isn't) but the IM or SMS features could prove useful. (for SMS I just use the iphone textfree app) which allows me to text to people back and forth just using a data signal.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EP 5.0 Million Lifetime Miles, HH Honors Diamond
Skype Chat

I have used Skype IM from DFW to LAX with no problem on the entire flight. Facebook chat has worked as well. I have never tried to make a voice call however.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:12 am

I usually turn my phone off/wifi off of anything else I bring. Does anyone know why they specifically tell you to turn off phones when in flight?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by gman7424
I have used Skype IM from DFW to LAX with no problem on the entire flight. Facebook chat has worked as well. I have never tried to make a voice call however.
I was really thinking more of Skype IM than voice or video calls. Thanks for the update.

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Everything off (or in flight mode) for the duration of the flight.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Over the past 20 years there have literally been BILLIONS of civilian passenger flights. Not one has been lost due to cell phone, wifi, bluetooth or any other consumer electronic device or emission.

What more proof do you need that these rules are a bunch of crap.
I worked at a place where certain areas of/rooms in buildings were mobile free, and you were deeply unpopular if you had one on in those rooms/areas. What I do find interesting is that pilots can hear the mobile contacting the base station on the ground. If enough mobiles were switched on (and not in flight mode) then the pilot 'could' get enough constant interference to make communications impossible. Which isn't impossible, my TV in the bedroom picks up my blackberry more than three meters away and causes interference with the sound. Would depend on the signal strength of the TX phone and the proximity to the radios, I suppose.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
The other thing to keep in mind is besides the battery drain, the phone is putting out more power trying to find a signal, which could be bad for the body. I'm not 100% sold on cellphone dangers to the body, but it makes sense to take precautions to limit things like this which would cause the phone to spike in radio signal usage.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
I always put in airplane mode. When landing, it's faster to turn feature off on than to power back on.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have a new laptop and took it with me on a flight from LHR to the USA the other day. Somewhere over Greenland, I switched the laptop on, realised that I had not previously switched off the wi-fi and noticed, while searching for the ability to do so, that there were 6 other wi-fi signals on the plane.

That said, I do try to follow crew instructions. I don't think it's right to ignore them just because a plane has not crashed so far (for which, read "I'm too arrogant to obey rules made for the little people"). There is a standing instruction that all electronics should be turned off for take-off - on my last flight a person continued to play games on his Nokia mobile on the opposite aisle and a woman in front continued to read her book on a Kindle throughout taxi and take-off. This is not untypical, at least in the UA E+ section which is full of frequent flyers.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:22 pm

By the book

I turn my Iphone off when asked, and airplane mode when allowed. By the book all the way.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:41 pm

I turn everything off. In the rare event I use my phone, I always switch to airplane mode.

IMO, the ban on cell phones has nothing to do with interference with cockpit equipment or crew--although it may have in the past. It does serve two important purposes. First, it helps reduce the impact of the extremely annoying .......s that have the special combination of self-importance and apparent lack of hearing (AKA the phone screamers). I pray often that they do not allow cell calls in flight. Secondly, it is important--and I believe the real reason for the rule--that people not be distracted during take off and landing (why we have to turn it off) or get hit in the head by flying iPads (why we have to put big stuff away).

On a related note, I feel a rant coming on. Wait for it...

There's nothing worse, IMHO, than the screamer who just has to get on his phone the second the wheels hit and start rambling about all kinds of useless BS. This is the same guy who hits people with his bags (that he pulls out with one hand) while he's holding his phone. Is his life so damn important that he can't wait five minutes to get off the plane?!?!? I really don't need to hear about little Suzy's role in the school play at 100+ decibels. Is it just me?

OK... I feel better now.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ScatterX
There's nothing worse, IMHO, than the screamer who just has to get on his phone the second the wheels hit and start rambling about all kinds of useless BS. This is the same guy who hits people with his bags (that he pulls out with one hand) while he's holding his phone. Is his life so damn important that he can't wait five minutes to get off the plane?!?!? I really don't need to hear about little Suzy's role in the school play at 100+ decibels. Is it just me?
+1

Amen, brotha.

Jason
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
For those that do not like the rules....I would suggest letting the FAA know about it if you have not already and perhaps they can change it. I just think it is rude to the FA's to completely disregard them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.