Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

what percentage of people actually put their smartphone/laptop into airplane mode?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what percentage of people actually put their smartphone/laptop into airplane mode?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sarah Kirschbaum

what percentage of people actually put their smartphone/laptop(with built-in 3G, for example) into airplane mode while flying?

on more than a few occasions, I've hear the phones ring while the plane was flying... there was this guy sitting next to me not too long ago... he was using his Nokia smartphone and it rang. the flight attendant was only two row behind us and heard it. the guy told her "oh, I accidentally hit something when I was changing my ringtones, but it's cool, the phone is in airplane mode" The FA accepted that and left. guess what happened next? the guy covered his mouth and phone and said "don't call me now, I'm on a plane!" Not even sure how he got a signal, because I could swear that the plane was pretty high at the time...
Old May 30, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by greenbears
what percentage of people actually put their smartphone/laptop(with built-in 3G, for example) into airplane mode while flying?

on more than a few occasions, I've hear the phones ring while the plane was flying... there was this guy sitting next to me not too long ago... he was using his Nokia smartphone and it rang. the flight attendant was only two row behind us and heard it. the guy told her "oh, I accidentally hit something when I was changing my ringtones, but it's cool, the phone is in airplane mode" The FA accepted that and left. guess what happened next? the guy covered his mouth and phone and said "don't call me now, I'm on a plane!" Not even sure how he got a signal, because I could swear that the plane was pretty high at the time...
I certainly do. If no other reason than I appreciate my phone having more than 3% battery left when I land.
Old May 30, 2010, 8:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
On a recent PS flight where there was an equipment change to a plane with no internet, it was a bit of a shock when I turned on my laptop to have it say there were wireless connections available, and there were three MiFi signals available. I didn't have clue that they would work from the plane.
Old May 30, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, CO Plat, MR Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite, Hertz#1 Gold,Hyatt Plat
I'll admit that I don't bother to put my blackberry in airplane mode, although I do use it only briefly in flight usually.
Old May 30, 2010, 10:54 pm
formerly lelandv

My blackberry will send/receive data sometimes in flight but it is a serious drain on battery...I would rather have a charge when I get somewhere than get a few emails on the plane.
Old May 31, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bdesmond
I certainly do. If no other reason than I appreciate my phone having more than 3% battery left when I land.
+1

Leaving my phone on and not in airplane mode kills the battery.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cordelli
On a recent PS flight where there was an equipment change to a plane with no internet, it was a bit of a shock when I turned on my laptop to have it say there were wireless connections available, and there were three MiFi signals available. I didn't have clue that they would work from the plane.
That could have been that people had just forgotten to turn off their units and they were in their bags. Just because there was a wifi signal on the plane doesn't mean the unit had a cellular connection at the time.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I turn off my Blackberry and phone. If I use my computer, I turn off WiFi and Bluetooth.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA MR UR AA
I do turn off my iPhone and blackberry, simply to conserve battery life and money My wife forgot to turn her phone off on one of the long flights we had (AMS-KUL) and she received several "welcome" roaming SMS messages from the various countries we flew above. I'm surprised there's a signal 35000 feet in the air...
Old May 31, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Everything off.
Old May 31, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
I read something a few years ago that something like 100 cell towers could provide cell service to every plane in the country simply because there are no obstacles blocking the signal. I'm no cell expert though, so don't hold me to that.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:48 pm

One time I am taking pics inside the plane with my phone cam and the attendant asked me to turn it off even after I said its in airplane mode.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:59 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
A couple of years ago I read an article that said approximately 30% of cell phones are accidentally left on during a flight.

I know it has happened to me more than once that I went to turn on my phone on landing and found it was already (still) on when I was sure I had turned it off.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
Similar story

Originally Posted by farulg
I do turn off my iPhone and blackberry, simply to conserve battery life and money My wife forgot to turn her phone off on one of the long flights we had (AMS-KUL) and she received several "welcome" roaming SMS messages from the various countries we flew above. I'm surprised there's a signal 35000 feet in the air...
Left my phone on, kept hearing SMSs coming in and thinking "who's the idiot that didn't turn his phone off", then when we land I actually see all those SMSs and figure who that idiot was...
Now I make sure I turn everything off, mainly to save on battery usage (which is pretty bad on both my laptop & my BB)
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:21 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I put my phone on airplane mode, as it drains battery when constantly trying to find a network. I rarely turn it off, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.