FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - what percentage of people actually put their smartphone/laptop into airplane mode?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:33 am
nmenaker

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
There are numerous threads here about using skype, most places are blocking the protocl outright. I have found that skype and vonage and fring work on my iphone though, and have made SOME calls in the lavatory just for fun to check it out. I think the traffic from the iphone apps at the time at least must have appeared different and therefore NOT blocked on UA or Delta since nothing worked on the laptop. As well, I cannot get slingplayer to work on delta on a laptop, but from the iphone it works fine. I think at the time they just weren't catching it properly.

That said, the skype quality was NOT good for a call, the latency of the internet connection was soo poor that there was a great deal of blocky speach and dropped data. It is NOT a viable voice solution (and I am pretty happy it isn't) but the IM or SMS features could prove useful. (for SMS I just use the iphone textfree app) which allows me to text to people back and forth just using a data signal.