Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[archived] Favorite android application

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Can anyone recommend a PC program that can manage my phone's contacts and calendar entries (like Palm Desktop)?

I've heard HTC Sync would do that, but I heard it won't work unless you have Sense installed on your phone.

I've also seen CompanionLink, but I don't think that software is worth $40.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone recommend a PC program that can manage my phone's contacts and calendar entries (like Palm Desktop)? I don't need/want synchronization with Outlook (or Google, for that matter).

I've heard HTC Sync would do that, but I heard it won't work unless you have Sense installed on your phone.

Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Can anyone recommend a PC program that can manage my phone's contacts and calendar entries (like Palm Desktop)? I don't need/want synchronization with Outlook (or Google, for that matter).

why not use google? it is seamless and relatively easy.

if no, what phone are you using, the stock software (HTC Sync for the Hero) often will allow you to do this.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:19 am

I second the suggestion to just use Google. It can be hard to find, but http://www.google.com/contacts allows you to easily manage, group, and edit contacts. Google Calendar is constantly being improved, and an advantage of using it is that you can edit it from any computer, and it'll be updated to your phone.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aitchly
why not use google? it is seamless and relatively easy.

if no, what phone are you using, the stock software (HTC Sync for the Hero) often will allow you to do this.
I have the new T-Mobile G2, which doesn't have HTC Sync.

Originally Posted by godlovesugly
I second the suggestion to just use Google. It can be hard to find, but http://www.google.com/contacts allows you to easily manage, group, and edit contacts. Google Calendar is constantly being improved, and an advantage of using it is that you can edit it from any computer, and it'll be updated to your phone.
Contacts is actually easy to find: it's listed under "Mail" in the upper left-hand of the page.

Nonetheless, I'd rather have an offline editor instead of having to make changes on a webpage (or a phone).
Old Oct 8, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I just got a Droid X and am loving it. I've had an iPod Touch for a while and am used to managing my apps from my computer through iTunes. Is there a similar windows based application to manage and back-up apps I've installed on my Droid?
Old Oct 9, 2010, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
I just got a Droid X and am loving it. I've had an iPod Touch for a while and am used to managing my apps from my computer through iTunes. Is there a similar windows based application to manage and back-up apps I've installed on my Droid?
Not really. There are many areas where Apple has made the process so much smoother. However, there is a great app and website called "Appbrain" that lets you search for applications, manage and install apps on a website. You can find it marketplace and www.appbrain.com.

For true backing up of apps, I know Astro File Manager can help you, but it's an android app (not a windows application) and only works for apps that allow it.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:17 am

I have a Droid X and these are my favorite apps so far:

Back Country Navigator (great topo maps for hiking)
Google Earth
MixZing (to manage music and video files)
Barcode Scanner
WunderRadio (thousands of radio stations from around the world)
RoMote (an extra remote for my Roko player)
Paper Toss (a great time waster)
Wikitude World Browser (explore and search what's around you)
TripIt (track air and hotel reservations)
Amazon Kindle Reader

Last edited by BLI-Flyer; Oct 12, 2010 at 9:29 am Reason: Added to list
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Contacts is actually easy to find: it's listed under "Mail" in the upper left-hand of the page.

Nonetheless, I'd rather have an offline editor instead of having to make changes on a webpage (or a phone).
You're right, it is easy to find. I think this is a result of the recent gmail redesign... or I need to see a doctor.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: US Silver, HHonors Silver
Has anyone heard anything about Gate Guru coming for Android? I've never played with it but have herad it is a good one. I have Fly Smart right now, but the thing I don't like about that is that it doesn't show where the airline clubs are. I belive Gate Guru does that correct?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
CoPilot Live is $4.99 in Android Market.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Angry Birds full version is now free on android market (with some ads)
Old Oct 18, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
How does Wunder Radio compare to IHeartRadio? IHeart works great over wifi, but is useless over 3G which is where I want to use it most. I don't want to pay $6.99 if it is not going to work either.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by tev9999
How does Wunder Radio compare to IHeartRadio? IHeart works great over wifi, but is useless over 3G which is where I want to use it most. I don't want to pay $6.99 if it is not going to work either.
I've used WunderRadio over 3G on long road trips and it works great.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:29 am

Thumbs up My top 5 android apps

1. ASTRiD (Android’s Simple Task Recording Dashboard)
  2. FXCamera
  3. Nesoid Lite
  4. Qik
  5. Weather Channel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.