Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Getting the best deal on Tumi: Negotiating in store, outlet or online?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting the best deal on Tumi: Negotiating in store, outlet or online?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: MP Gold, HH Gold, PC Plat Elite-RA
I have had my 22" leather Tumi for 23 years (G3?). Out of the few hundred flights that I have carried it on, only Lufthansa in Mia, and Air France in Berlin have made me check it.

I saw a 22" leather of whatever the new models are called for sale yesterday for $840 at the PTY airport. Anyone know if this is a good price
Old Mar 3, 2008, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and AA Concierge Key
Tumi has two big sales in a year, one that starts a few days after Christmas and one that starts sometime in June. Sign up for the mailing list to be notified. They tend to have limited selection on the website, but if you go to a B&M Tumi store they have more styles on sale. Also check out Nordstroms, who puts all their stock at 35% off, regardless of how new it was. Or at least they did after last Christmas.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 9:22 pm

Programs: 1K UAL Marriott Platinum Premier - Ambassador thing-y Hertz President's Circle
haven't read all these responses, sorry

got mine at Nordstrom. think i paid full price. i didn't care. they have a GREAT policy for returns.

if something breaks on the bag, you drop it off and they give you a loaner Tumi bag. A luggage store loaner usually is some cheap nasty day-glo bag.

if you don't live close to a Nordstrom to pick the bag up, they UPS it to your front door. free.

I've taken my Tumi bags in there in the past and have had them just GIVE me a replacement for free.

i'll never buy elsewhere. incredible service.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by letsgofire
Also check out Nordstroms, who puts all their stock at 35% off, regardless of how new it was. Or at least they did after last Christmas.
I think I might have in advertently come across one of these today!

For some reason on the way home from work I decided I'd go and get the bag so went to Nordstrom. They had reorganised the whole Mens Furnishings Dept and most of the Tumi was gone. The chap asked me to pick the bag out of the Tumi book and called another store to see if they had one of the 20" bags there. He said it'd take a few days to get delivered but took down my details and credit card info.

I went to sign the receipt and noticed it was only $369. I asked the sales guy to check again to make sure he did the right bag and he showed me the screen. Regular Price $555. Promotional Price $369.

What a steal! ^^^
Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AA 2MM+; Marriott Plt; SPG Gold
I own a lot of Tumi. I've grabbed some great buys at the Leesburg outlet but the absolute best Tumi purchase I've made is at Macy's. My wife was going to buy me a large duffle for my birthday last year during a luggage sale. I think we got something like 30% off plus 20% off right off the bat. Then the salesman told us that we could open a joint Macys account (we each already have our own) and get an additional 20%-25% off for opening a new account. My lovely wife ended up getting me 3 new pieces with that deal. Of course, my discount was 100% (happy birthday!)

The Leesburg outlet has great prices every now and then but I've never been able to get them to tell me what's on hand by calling them. Last purchase there was a large garment roller at 50% off (about $450) with a 22" roller also at 50% off.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The spring Tumi sale has been going on for the last week.

I picked up a travel briefcase for $150 off last weekend.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another round of Tumi arrived at TJ Maxx (at least in SoCal)

Nowhere near as extensive as last fall with only Tumi T-Tech but once again at >50% off.
Picked up style 5541 for $79.99 ^
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:13 pm

Programs: ex-AA EXP, DL GM, ex-1k SPG Plat
Tumi at TJ Maxx on the east coast.
Never seen in in NY or So Fl.

Originally Posted by azepine00
Another round of Tumi arrived at TJ Maxx (at least in SoCal)

Nowhere near as extensive as last fall with only Tumi T-Tech but once again at >50% off.
Picked up style 5541 for $79.99 ^
Old Apr 13, 2008, 4:57 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GaLupo
Tumi at TJ Maxx on the east coast.
Never seen in in NY or So Fl.
I've seen some Tumi in TJ Maxx on 18th & 6th (or near there ...) in NYC around Thanksgiving for the past few years ... Not extensive, but some good pieces. I've bought briefcases, carry-ons and larger cases there every year ...
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: ex-AA EXP, DL GM, ex-1k SPG Plat
Good to know thanks!

Originally Posted by JAP
I've seen some Tumi in TJ Maxx on 18th & 6th (or near there ...) in NYC around Thanksgiving for the past few years ... Not extensive, but some good pieces. I've bought briefcases, carry-ons and larger cases there every year ...
Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Does TJ Maxx (or any of its or similar Tumi 'outlets') sell online?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:11 pm

I have found lots of Tumi items at Marshalls in addition to TJ Maxx. The last time was when the G3 was discontinued, but only in the silver color.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond // Marriott LT Titanium
tumi warranty?

Guys - I just purchased my first Tumi laptop bag:
Tumi Generation 4.4 FXT Ballistic Expandable Organizer Computer Brief

It is not offered on tumi.com anymore, because they have the new style. I got this for $260 from Orlando.

I was contemplating between this one and the new Victorinox Trevi
http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swis...modelid=109993

One major dif: tumi 5 yr warranty in US, Victorinox lifetime warranty.

Have you guys had any issues with warranty with Tumi? Do their bags made to last?

Lastly, anyone has a similar bag like this one? if so, are you happy with it?

thanks!
Old May 4, 2008, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
In case any of you reading this are thinking about getting Tumi and it is stocked at your local Macy's you might want to go there today or tomorrow. Today I popped in there and was given a 20% off vouchers that note '20% off or 10% off with the least exclusions of any event. It even includes all our best brands!'

Might be worth a look if you are considering it...
Old May 8, 2008, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation

Wow, a nearby costco just received a shipment of Tumis - 5 different models from alpha collection (2 backpacks, 22" carryon, wheeled brief and wheeled duffel). Priced <50% of retail. I picked up tumi 26102 for $230 (costco item 296478 if you want to call and check).

Costco return policy + Tumi = ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.