Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa Lock Pops Open

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2023, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Rimowa Lock Pops Open

I have a large Rimowa aluminium suitcase, I think the 71 cm model. It is very large. It has two locks and one clasp without lock. Here is the problem. One of the locks pops open when any pressure is applied to the suitcase. For example, if you place the suitcase with the largest side down, and drop another suitcase on top, the lock pops open. So, when I collect my luggage after a flight, the one lock is always open. Because other suitcases are plopped onto of mine in the normal loading of the aircraft. However, it doesn't pop open completely. The side of the lock which doesn't have the push tab, which is usually used to open the latch, is the side which opens. The side with the push tab stays latched. This is with the combination wheels turned to a number which is not the combination. Because the combination is not correct, the push tab cannot be pressed, and that side of the lock stays engaged. I can also cause the lock to open by pounding my fist on the largest side of the suitcase (not very hard either) directly above the lock in question.

I will take the suitcase for service. But there are a few days before I can do that, so I thought I would also here if anyone has this problem before me and if they had a (simple) solution? I've had a lot of Rimowa luggage and never had this problem. But this is also my largest suitcase, by far.

As far as I can see, the suitcase cannot be opened, because 1) the locking side of the latch holds and 2) the whole entire lock on the other side of the suitcase is OK.
​​​​​
I cannot see any reason for this to happen, when I inspect the lock and the suitcase, it seems identical to the lock which is working fine.

I used to use the repair shop in Hong Kong (Kowloon), they were great and fast, but it seems they are closed? I will try my luck in Dubai soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.