Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A question on big of a carry-on bag that would be allowed as free check-in

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2023, 4:02 am
Original Poster

A question on big of a carry-on bag that would be allowed as free check-in

I just about do all my flying international (US-UK-EU), and trying to really maximize what I can get away with for a carry-on, done only to avoid the rapacious charge for having a check-in. It seems that the one big difference between the US & UK-EU is that the US has the 14" (36 cm) limit whereas UK-EU has this as 40 cm (OK, there are airlines like Ryan Air, but I don't see myself using them). It seems that the test that needs to be passed is the cage, which is 22" x 9", and this the 14" is not a constraint.

I just have to believe that since so many folks from UK-EU are flying with their slightly larger carry-on bags in the US (i.e., as part of the total ticket) that airlines always allow this, and at the very worst will ask to check-in the bag at the gate, which would be free even for passengers with a ticket that has no checked bag. Would this be a good assumption?
Old May 14, 2023, 4:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Particularly if travelling longhaul business class you’re unlikely to face many issues (apart from on Qatar, possibly Austrian). That said, assuming this is for work do you really want to systematically run the risk of having your bag confiscated and put in the hold without notice?

You’re right that they’ll just check the bag and not put you in handcuffs or anything, but why make life difficult by deliberately breaking an airline’s rules?

Interesting you say that EU bags can be larger - generally I expect US carry-ons to be larger (and observationally is what I see on flights by nationality): see the Continental vs. International Tumis, or the Cabin/ Cabin Plus Rimowas.
TGarza likes this.
Old May 14, 2023, 7:41 am

In the US other than regional airlines, I have never had my bags checked for size or weight. My last 2 trips with Swiss, I have had my bags weighed for the 8 kilogram limit without the size being checked. Depending on the Swiss ticket, your carry on will be 1 + 1 or 2 + 1.
Old May 14, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Which carrier do you anticipate using UK-EU? If its U2 ( I note you have indicated that Ryanair are not likely) then you will need to be careful unless you pay for a large carry on bag..
TGarza likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.