Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Backpack recommendations sought

Old Jun 20, 19, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)

I currently own a Tumi Alpha Bravo Knox backpack (21L capacity ) which I love. Itís well made, looks sophisticated and just generally suits me well for work every day. The problem is, after also using it extensively as hand luggage over the last few years - itís not quite big enough for me. So Iím looking for recommendations.

Features that are vital to me:

Handle pass-through so I can easily transport it on top of my wheelie.
Good brand/well made - my Tumi is 4 years old, heavily used and doesnít even look halfway through its life.
Easy to access 13Ē laptop and iPad.
Some kind of compression feature so Iím not carting a huge, half-empty backpack between the hotel and the office each day while Iím away.

Cost at not an issue - just looking for the features I need.

Thanks in in advance for any help!
Old Jun 20, 19, 7:44 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I have the Everki versa backpack. The last compartment can hold a laptop up to 15 inches on the other side there is a pace for your Ipad It is orange on the inside so you don't lose things on the bottom of the pack. I travel internationally it has gone with me for the last three years and still looks brand new. Fits under your seat or in the overhead bin. Of course, it fits over your wheel luggage or I would not have it. Hope this helps.
User Name likes this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS
WaterField Designs

I switched from Tumi backpacks and briefcases to Waterfield. I always liked my Tumi bags. But Waterfield might have something that meets your needs and has high-end quality.

Their site: https://www.sfbags.com
User Name and GadgetFreak like this.
Old Jun 21, 19, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Forget about asking for advice though, unless you can talk to people who actually own the bags. You need to SEE the ins and outs and size and fit of the bags..to that end i am going to post you some youtube reviews.

Here is ranking from someone who travels with every major indie bag in the buis.

Minimal Travel Hybrids:
https://matterful.co/hybrid-travel-backpacks/

I do have one piece of opinion/advice here. Chase lists the smaller hybrid bags (which seem to be what you are looking for) but rather than buy the mid size hybrid type bag....my philosophy is to buy the fuller size bags and just under pack them to make them lighter and use the various compression mechanisms to make them smaller. Given i literally have an entire closet full of bags i find it easier to compress a full size bag and to use for less packing but still have it for bigger trips if needed than to have to collect both mid sized and full sized travel bags. Be that as it may, you may strictly NOT be wanting any bags that ever do full size so if so, you can disregard all this part ii'm talking about right now and the list below. There is some merit to the more midsized, as if you are carrying even a compressed full sized you COULD still end up being asked to check it...especially on commuter flights.

More full size travel packs
https://matterful.co/one-bag-travel-bags/

Anyway, I use all of the above. If you don't mind the "im elon musk" the Nomatic Travel Pack (not the 40l travel BAG but the travel pack that is 20l compressed and 30L expanded) might fit the bill.

If that is too techi the highest rated bag in the buisness is the Peak travel bag which can go from 35L when compressed at the top to 40l in standard to 45L expanded.

Another highly related option would be the 35L sized Tortuga setout or the Setout divide (if you like more organization).

Tortuga: Not as waterproof but you can buy the water cover, you can also get a side strap for duffle mode....its light weight and with best suspension system in the buis. I am not sure if the 35L Tortuga has the luggage pass through (the 45l i have does not have one which is a bummer because it compresses down nicely).
Peak: Best overall, not cheap (let me know if you are interested and ill show you how to get a good discount), not as compressible as tortuga and nomatic. Very water proof, can also add water cover, best packing cubes in the buis. Probably the most amazing hide away for hip straps (and to a lesser extent, the shoulder straps) in the buisness. Also the only bag with side access on both sides and handles on all ends. Has the luggage pass through. No side satchel straps but that isn't really a con here.
Nomatic: Comes with it's own packing cube, also fairly water proof, no cover available. Has nifty features like built in key cable, sun glasses box, a some what usable "brief case handle" for side carry when compressed. Compresses to the smallest of the bunch while not looking compressed.

I also use the Tumi bags (I have the Nellis Alpha Bravo leather) and Travel Pro platnium. As you said, those are more like "book bags". I just keep one of everything and grab what ever i think i need given the weather and what i want to take and the kind of image i want to portray on the trip.

I own some of these bags so if you have questions let me know. Some other bags i don't own but i think are worth looking into are the AER Travel Bag and the Minaal. If you like that tactical look the Go Ruck
Ill post some reviews below.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ic+travel+pack

User Name likes this.

Last edited by Allentown; Jun 21, 19 at 8:54 pm
Old Jun 21, 19, 11:42 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I currently own a Tumi Alpha Bravo Knox backpack (21L capacity ) which I love. Itís well made, looks sophisticated and just generally suits me well for work every day. The problem is, after also using it extensively as hand luggage over the last few years - itís not quite big enough for me. So Iím looking for recommendations.

Features that are vital to me:

Handle pass-through so I can easily transport it on top of my wheelie.
Good brand/well made - my Tumi is 4 years old, heavily used and doesnít even look halfway through its life.
Easy to access 13Ē laptop and iPad.
Some kind of compression feature so Iím not carting a huge, half-empty backpack between the hotel and the office each day while Iím away.

Cost at not an issue - just looking for the features I need.

Thanks in in advance for any help!
I use a 33 liter Timbuktu Aviator in Navy. Depending on your airline and class of service, it might be a touch too big for a personal item, however.

What I like about it is that it's a convertible brief format with a proper suspension and hip belt that has great back support while maintaining easy access to the laptop compartment. Also my version can be divided into 2 sections (via zipper) to separate quick access items, like tablets, headphones, or chargers, and packed items.
Old Jun 21, 19, 11:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Originally Posted by kp333 View Post
I switched from Tumi backpacks and briefcases to Waterfield. I always liked my Tumi bags. But Waterfield might have something that meets your needs and has high-end quality.

These are great bags that i have never seriously looked at before. Thank you for sharing.

I am not sure if the pro executive https://www.sfbags.com/products/pro-...aptop-backpack is really going to have that much more capacity than something like my Nellis? https://www.tumi.com/p/nellis-backpa...r-01033031251/

(I am definately checking out Waterfield though..thanks again.)
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by kp333 View Post

I give a very strong second to Waterfield Designs. The backpacks are relatively new product lines. I have a couple of their messenger bags and other products and they are unbelievable quality. They are also made in the US. One time they shipped me the vertical edition of a notebook sleeve instead of the horizontal one I ordered. I called and the man that answered the phone said to just ship it back and they would return the correct one to me. I explained that I wanted to use it on a trip I was going on and I would be leaving in three days and that wouldn’t allow the two shipments to happen in time. He said he was the owner (Gary) and the FedEx offices were still open there so he was going to go to the warehouse and get the right bag and take it to Fedex and send it to me. He said don’t worry about it before my trip just put the old one in the box he was sending when I got back. Sure enough I got it and as I recall he even added a prepaid return address label. Customer for life. Great company, great products.

Search this Thread