Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

I could use some situation-specific luggage advice

Old Jun 13, 19, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Although I have used the forum often for research I have just registered hoping to get help with a decision. I travel frequently on dive trips and take heavy and bulky dive photo equipment. I carry the camera(s) and lenses with me, but have to check the underwater housing, large glass dome ports and a variety of bits and pieces. I have used Pelican cases in the past but am increasingly hearing about these being theft targets and see that these cases increasingly generate increased scrutiny by airline security people. The cases frequently get a manual search and that is fine, but in some foreign locations they just get too much attention.I would like to see if I can find a durable piece of luggage that I can use instead of the Pelican. I don't care about fashion or appearance, in fact, the more pedestrian it looks, the better. I can pack the enclosed equipment in padded cases within the luggage itself. I need something that will withstand the abuse it is going to get both from the standpoint of not falling apart and protection of what is inside. A crushed bag will almost certainly damage the equipment.

A shattered port or damaged housing would be horrible. And just to complicate things, I don't want a hugely expensive case like I see discussed here sometimes. Up to 300 or 400 USD would be okay if necessary. maybe a bit more if I am being unrealistic. I need a fairly large case in the realm of a 27-29" case. My trips often involve 3-4 airports and a couple or three different airlines so the bags get thrown around a lot. Looking for suggestions for something as close to the protection of a Pelican as possible, but without the "hey, steal meI have expensive stuff inside" or the "warning-may contain dangerous items, extra security needed" look of a Pelican. If there is such a thing. My practice and ongoing expectation is this will be a checked bag in excess of the number allowed, and I will just have to pay the extra bag fee. Weight is not critical, to a reasonable degree, and I need wheels of some sort.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 14, 19, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
I don't know if you are going to find a bullet proof non assuming case. Everything that meets your requirement is going to stand out and be rather obvious as exhibiting features of A) Very nice B) Very expensive C) Very tough, D) Some combination of the aforementioned or E)All of the above.
Old Jun 17, 19, 10:09 pm

Instead of getting a new case, have you considered just putting the Pelican inside a cheap-looking duffel?
tentseller and chrisl137 like this.
Old Jun 17, 19, 10:22 pm

One other thought...I've also heard it suggested that covering an expensive bag in stickers, tape etc. makes it look cheap. At least it might make someone think twice about opening up such a recognizable bag.
Old Jun 18, 19, 11:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec
Originally Posted by ordx View Post
Instead of getting a new case, have you considered just putting the Pelican inside a cheap-looking duffel?
Was going to suggest the same. If you can spare a few lbs of weight, this is the obvious choice. Put your pelican inside the biggest piece of crap suitcase from walmart, and go.
Old Jun 22, 19, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
They do have newer pelican cases out which look more like regular luggage and supposedly do not get regularly searched as a matter of procedure like standard pelican cases (though i assume they probably will still draw more attention than a standard bag). They have them in carry on size for those of you interested in that but have to valet your luggage on commuter flights frequently. Might be worth a cross shop for those looking at luggage works and strong bags.
https://www.pelican-case.com/lg-ba22-gryblk.html
Old Jun 24, 19, 7:17 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Look at www.redoxx.com. They have bags that are designed for camera and accessories. My client ships our equipment to our houses before we go overseas in pelican cases. They tell us not to take them as they are held hostage in some countries for bribes.
RoyalFlush likes this.

Search this Thread