Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance that will redeposit points for award travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I have maxxed out all of my points on all cards on an upcoming trip to Egypt. I am currently shopping for travel insurance and need a policy/company that will assist in getting my points back and redepositing them in case of unforeseen cancellation or delays.

Allianz and the companies on Squaremouth do not seem to cover this. Is there any such company that will help under those circumstances? Also, for the declaration of total trip cost, do you include the cost that the flights/hotels would have been if you would have paid cash instead of using points?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
I have maxxed out all of my points on all cards on an upcoming trip to Egypt. I am currently shopping for travel insurance and need a policy/company that will assist in getting my points back and redepositing them in case of unforeseen cancellation or delays.

Allianz and the companies on Squaremouth do not seem to cover this. Is there any such company that will help under those circumstances? Also, for the declaration of total trip cost, do you include the cost that the flights/hotels would have been if you would have paid cash instead of using points?
I'd suggest contacting www.TripInsuranceStore.com - a broker who handles several different vetted travel insurers.
We've purchased policies from Travel Insured from them, and had no trouble with claims.

Our understanding is that our coverage includes a reasonable amount to cover the "re-banking" of points that we had to cancel, IF the entire trip ends up covered by the cancellation or interruption clauses (not just because you wanted to make a change).
They won't "do it", but they'll cover the fee if you have a receipt from the airline/awards program. We haven't found it difficult to re-bank, but the times we've done this have been because we "wanted" a change, so the insurance wasn't applicable.

GC
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP has not provided the name of the FFP. But, it appears to be one which will not redeposit the points if he cancels. Your reference is to policies which might cover redeposit fees.

What OP wants is going to be tough. Insurance companies have access to cash, not to miles/points. So, not sure how an insurance company would return points in a FFP program.

In any event, it would be helpful to know what program OP is talking about as there may be other solutions.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:31 pm

I have bought travel insurance which included “Reimbursement of Miles or Reward Points” from Travel Insured International thru USAA (which one can become a member for free and get a big discount).

I have this website bookmarked: https://www.squaremouth.com/
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by boboqui
I have bought travel insurance which included “Reimbursement of Miles or Reward Points” from Travel Insured International thru USAA (which one can become a member for free and get a big discount).

I have this website bookmarked: https://www.squaremouth.com/
Are you sure this isn't just reimbursement for the "redeposit fee"?
We've got coverage from Travel Insured also, and that's what what I thought it was. However, we've never had a claim for that particular cost... yet...

And how does one become a member of USAA?
Thanks.

GC
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: *G
Travel Insured says

" Can reimburse you up to $250 for any penalty cost of putting the miles or reward points back in the account they were removed from when you must cancel your trip. "

They do not reimburse the actual miles or points. And to my knowledge noone really does.

Also USAA membership only available to military and close family.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Are you sure this isn't just reimbursement for the "redeposit fee"?
We've got coverage from Travel Insured also, and that's what what I thought it was. However, we've never had a claim for that particular cost... yet...

And how does one become a member of USAA?
Thanks.

GC
I also never made a claim to recover award miles, I don’t know how it’s paid.

I joined USAA even though I’m not in the military, I think because Red Cross family members are also eligible.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by boboqui

I also never made a claim to recover award miles, I don’t know how it’s paid.

I joined USAA even though I’m not in the military, I think because Red Cross family members are also eligible.
Could you quote from the terms and conditions of the specific Travel Insured policy how it actually "recovers" the miles?
You don't have to make a claim to know the terms and conditions, which you should understand *before* one buys a policy...
(We've never made a claim about the awards, but we understood our policy to pay for some of the *fees* for re-banking them, if allowed. And all of our programs allow us to do this, one way or another.)

deniah's quote above is consistent with TI policies we've had, and other insurers we've investigated.

That is, the award miles are NOT "recovered". IF there is a fee for *you* to re-bank them, then the insurance will cover up to a certain amount for that purpose.

What does "Red Cross family" mean, exactly? Someone who *works* there? Someone who *donates"? Someone who receives services? If it is the first or last, then obviously it's not the case that anyone (or even most people) can just join for free (or even join for a fee!).

GC
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:02 am

Little OT. This is my experience with USAA. You can "join" and access limited features. You have to have a family member in the military in order to access all of the products. My father was in the Air Force, and I was able to join and access everything. And now, my children can also do the same. My son used USAA Mortage Services to buy his house last year. He got access thru me, who got it from my parent. I forget what it's called, but when you join, you need some number of the military persons. A "G" or "D". I asked my Dad for it, he knew exactly what I needed. AFTER I joined, he then contacted them, and switched his insurance to USAA, which was much cheaper than whatever he had.

As for Trip Insurance, I've bought my share of policies. From ether Insuremytrip.com or Squaremouth.com. I know EXACTLY what I am purchasing, and have never had a claim denied. I have never seen a policy that re-imburses for actual miles. Just for the re-posit FEES.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thank you all. I think I originally misunderstood and that insurance companies do not redeposit your miles for you - that is something I would have to do on my own. So I guess what I would want is reimbursement of the fees to do so.

I am using Marriott, AA, and Chase UR points for my trip.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:31 am

Could you quote from the terms and conditions of the specific Travel Insured policy how it actually "recovers" the miles?
You don't have to make a claim to know the terms and conditions, which you should understand *before* one buys a policy...
I agree, but I didn't do it.

What does "Red Cross family" mean, exactly? Someone who *works* there? Someone who *donates"? Someone who receives services? If it is the first or last, then obviously it's not the case that anyone (or even most people) can just join for free (or even join for a fee!).
What I remember is that I was able to join as my late gramma was a member of the Red Cross.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:56 pm

Points/mileage bookings are usually at least changeable (flights) if not refundable (hotels), as long you make the change within the required window (usually 24 hours in advance?). It would seem that the most you would be out is the change/cancellation fee on a flight and maybe one night in a hotel if it were a last minute emergency. At least that is the case with airlines and hotel points; are CC points more restrictive? I would think that this is a better question to ask the travel agency/CC than the insurance company, as I would imagine that would be the first question asked if you made a claim.

No experience in booking with CC points, so my comments are more out of curiosity than authority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.