Rimowa Carryon- which model & warranty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb

I usually travel with just a carryon and a backpack or a shoulder bag that slips over the pull up handle of the carryon. I want to buy a new suitcase & am thinking about Rimowa. I'm not near a store so I would love any feedback you can give me. I'm tempted to buy the Essential Lite Cabin because it is so light but the inside looks so basic online. I also think that my shoulder bag would slip around on a single pull up pole handle. I'm not sure what to call the compressor flaps in the insides of the other models, but do they work well? Also I read online that someone bought a Salsa model that got smashed in transit, and the person claimed that Rimowa wouldn't replace it because they weren't supposed to check their bag. What experiences have people had with Rimowa warranties? Thank you for your input!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: M/M
Any damage incurred during airline travel should have been declared by the Passenger upon arrival and receipt at their destination airport.

For any luggage that you have made a considerable investment in, I always keep a digital copy of the receipt, when I purchased the item, and an original photo of the condition of the luggage before travel.

That way, when it comes to filing a damage claim with an airline, I have more substantiating documents to recoup the most value of what I paid for the luggage.

Without supporting documentation, you will have a weaker case to recoup the cost of the damaged luggage.

It is not RIMOWA's responsibility to repair luggage that was deliberately damaged by a third party, in this case, an airline. However, RIMOWA will gladly repair damage that is a result of faulty manufacturing and basic wear and tear through fair use.

All of my RIMOWA trolleys are registered on the RIMOWA website and I keep photocopies of every purchase receipt, serial number and photo of each item. RIMOWA has always been more than helpful (even post-LVMH acquisition) to repair any issues I have had with my trolleys, so far.

When you make a significant financial commitment purchasing high-end luggage, it is also the owner's responsibility to be accountable in having anything/everything ready to help the manufacture create, complete, and file any repair/warranty claim.

I have toured the Cologne manufacturing facility and have seen the holding area where RIMOWA trolleys await repair or shipment back to their owners. Everything from vintage trunks to current generation trolleys could be seen on their respective storage racks. Quite the site indeed and envious of many of the vintage pieces that are still cared for by RIMOWA, generations after original purchase.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
@hornillas1. Thanks so much for the great ideas. What do you think of the compression flaps or whatever they call them in the suitcases? The lightest possible suitcase, which I think is the Essential Light, doesn’t have them. Is that a wise choice or are the compression thingies really worthwhile ?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:38 am

The "Flex Divider" system that is featured inside the RIMOWA Original and Classic lines are nothing to be impressed about.

The single piece of hook pile tape (commonly referred to as "Velcro"), does little to hold the contents of your bag if you are one to pack heavier items in the top half section when you open your suitcase on its side profile.

Compared to the Away compression system, Away uses two separate hook pile tape straps to hold their contents in place.

I much prefer the Away compression system when compared to RIMOWA's design.

The Essential Lite features two slide fasteners (commonly referred to as "Zippers"). Most users should be fine with the slide fasteners, so long as they do not pack any sharp or overweight objects in the compartment. Be wary of sharp objects that can cut the mesh fabric that is keeps your contents in place. Damage would result in you having to replace the entire interior lining, rather than just the Flex Dividers of the Original and Classic lines.

The Flex Divider is a mute feature for my personal uses. I tend to pack my contents on top of the Flex Divider, rarely using the feature.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
I find the compression system very useful. It helped me squeeze a lot more items into the luggage.

I agree with hornillas1 that the Away straps are better than Rimowa's velcro. I haven't had issues with the velcro... yet.

Rimowa has also been great with warranty repairs. If you ever need a loaner, their retail stores have them available as well.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

@fishy21. Could you explain what Away straps are? I am new to luxury luggage, but I am tired of lugging around heavy carryon bags.

I am a little concerned about the single telescoping pole on the Essential Lite. Has anyone used that bag to give a brief report?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

@hornillas1. Thanks for the tip re: sharp objects. As I also asked Fishy21, what are Away straps? And if you were getting your first Rimowa carryon and weight was a major concern, which bag would you pick? BTW, I tend to use packing cubes in my suitcase.

Do you happen to know if I can purchase a Rimowa cheaper (if tax free is actually cheaper?) in Doha, Dubai or Abu Dhabi. I will be there in a few weeks. It would also be nice to see and feel the different models. I could start my trip with my old suitcase and discard it after purchasing a new one.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
check out post #91

AWAY brand luggage
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:28 am

There is a RIMOWA store in the Abu Dhabi mall.

Global Blue is available in the UAE, but tax savings is marginal at around 10% off US MSRP.

I don't really consider anything less than 20% off the current generation RIMOWA trolley's as a great deal since the company just went through their latest price increase in August 2018, with the introduction of their latest generation models.,

Best prices are still within the EU, especially Germany. Any chance for a layover in Frankfurt or Munich?

RIMOWA continues to streamline their distribution channel so you'll see fewer choices from authorized dealers and retail flagship stores.

The best deals are still a luck of the draw coming across New Old Stock (NOS) RIMOWA trolleys from former or current authorized dealers. Those clearance prices average about 20% off EU MSRP with another 19-21% less VAT, depending on the EU country.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:57 am
Original Poster

@hornillas1. Thanks for another quick and informative post We actually have more time in Dubai to go to a mall. Do you know if one of their malls would have a Rimowa store. I'd just like to be able to see and feel the different models and colors. I will be in Europe July- Sept, mostly in France. I am on a wait list for Singapore Suites FRA- JFK. If that clears, I'll be really thrilled. If not, I hope to get a Lufthansa flight 2 weeks before leaving. How much cheaper are the suitcases in Germany vs France (or any EU country) vs the US? I agree that 10% off in the UAE isn't worth the hassle of the VAT paperwork.

Is New Old Stock discontinued models that the stores are still selling? The percentages off certainly sound like a deal.

I also looked up Away after you and another poster mentioned it. I am going to call tomorrow and see if they can send me one to try out if I can get it shipped to me ahead of my trip on 2/17/19 since they have the wonderful 100 day tryout period.. However, I think I have my heart set on a Rimowa. Which model would you recommend if weight is the biggest consideration.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:27 am

If the weight of the actual trolley is the most important metric, then the Essential Lite Cabin is my recommendation to you.

The difference in weight compared to the Essential Cabin is 2.2 lbs (3.2 kg vs 2.2 kg).

Price difference in Germany is based on the Essential Cabin Lite, compared to the US MSRP:

Essential Cabin Lite
German MSRP: €400 - Global Blue VAT Refund (€45) = €355/$404.50
US MSRP $575 + 4% Hawaii Sales Tax ($23) = $598 Total
Total Savings = $193.50 (32% Off)

Yes, NOS are the discontinued models that the authorized dealers still have left over.

I was able to pick up a RIMOWA Titanium Topas 67L eTag for 51% German MSRP, last month.

The only RIMOWA flagship store is located on the first floor in the Abu Dhabi mall.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
I’ve been looking at rimowa and am noticing all of their bags are slightly too big for carry on

delta is 22x14x9 and rimowa is all 21.7x15.8 x 9.1

how common is it to have to gate check if I can board in the first 2 zones with this bag I wonder
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Rimowa tends to have a 5 year, essentially no matter what policy, especially if you take the bag directly to them. They may even do minor/cheap repairs after that and not charge as a matter of goodwill, but YMMV.

Originally Posted by cboy
I’ve been looking at rimowa and am noticing all of their bags are slightly too big for carry on

delta is 22x14x9 and rimowa is all 21.7x15.8 x 9.1

how common is it to have to gate check if I can board in the first 2 zones with this bag I wonder
If a Rimowa is sold as a cabin trolley, it will fit any US carrier, with ease.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:52 am

The current generation "Cabin" sizes are mostly in excess of what domestic carriers permit.

However, so long as you aren't travelling on a budget carrier, last boarding group or regional aircraft, your likelihood of being able to carry the current generation "Cabin" on-board is still likely.

The previous generation "Cabin" sizes were 32L in volume, a guaranteed fit for most domestic carriers, as the dimensions were IATA-compatible.

The current generation"Cabin" sizes are 36L in volume, a guarantee the trolleys now, exceed most carrier carry-on limits.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by N1120A
Rimowa tends to have a 5 year, essentially no matter what policy, especially if you take the bag directly to them. They may even do minor/cheap repairs after that and not charge as a matter of goodwill, but YMMV.
That was Rimowa before LVMH had move this far into integrating its acquisition of Rimowa. Is it still the way under LVMH’s hands-on management of its Rimowa property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.