Wiki Posts
Search

Talk to me about the ebags TLS mother lode 21

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Talk to me about the ebags TLS mother lode 21

the ebags site has great reviews. what are your thoughts?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I have one, liked it, used it for a few years and still use it now and then. I like it much more than the Hartmann spinner I got from Delta as a MM gift.

I started out the with weekender convertible, which I liked a lot. My problem with the convertible was it was just a bit too big so I often overpacked and it got too heavy to carry around so much. That was more my fault than the bag's -- while I try to pack light sometimes my "kitchen sink" personality comes thru

So I bought the wheeled one you mentioned and was generally happy with it. My biggest complaint was that it really didn't work as a "one bagger" -- I needed to also bring a briefcase/backpack for my laptop and gadgets, except on short trips. If the 22" one had been around I probably would have bought that as it would have fit my needs better. But the 21" was find -- solid construction and the zippers worked well (which has been a problem on some other cheaper bags over the years)

Now I am mostly back to wheelless using a Nomatic backpack/duffel which I am (so far) happy with but I've only used it on two trips. Next trip I will use the eBags roller again as I am traveling with She Who Must Be Obeyed and She will be rolling, so I guess I will as well
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I have one, liked it, used it for a few years and still use it now and then. I like it much more than the Hartmann spinner I got from Delta as a MM gift.

I started out the with weekender convertible, which I liked a lot. My problem with the convertible was it was just a bit too big so I often overpacked and it got too heavy to carry around so much. That was more my fault than the bag's -- while I try to pack light sometimes my "kitchen sink" personality comes thru

So I bought the wheeled one you mentioned and was generally happy with it. My biggest complaint was that it really didn't work as a "one bagger" -- I needed to also bring a briefcase/backpack for my laptop and gadgets, except on short trips. If the 22" one had been around I probably would have bought that as it would have fit my needs better. But the 21" was find -- solid construction and the zippers worked well (which has been a problem on some other cheaper bags over the years)

Now I am mostly back to wheelless using a Nomatic backpack/duffel which I am (so far) happy with but I've only used it on two trips. Next trip I will use the eBags roller again as I am traveling with She Who Must Be Obeyed and She will be rolling, so I guess I will as well
I am glad others here are using Nomatic bag. I just got an email saying that my bag will be shipped to me on 04/18. I am looking forward to start using it in some of my non photography trips when I dont carry 2 of my photography bags as my carry on.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
I noticed that the eBags TLS 22" Expandable Wheeled Carry-On is currently on sale for $99. If I hadn't just bought the 21" mini just a few weeks ago I would have jumped on this deal
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
how are you liking the 21 mini?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by theshaun
how are you liking the 21 mini?
I haven't had the opportunity to use the mini yet, but I've been very pleased with its big brother, a 25" Mother Lode which has accompanied me on several 2-3 week long trips abroad over the past few years.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I had the bag and loved it for the design, but I wasn't happy with one thing. The zippers. THEY SUCK! Constantly failing.

Nowadays, if it doesn't use YKK zippers, I don't buy it.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Have it, love it. No problem with the zippers. I'm sure mine are YKK and ebags say they use YKK......

The split sections are a real boon for me - with the end pouch used for toiletries. Also the ability to expand and check if you need more space.

In solid back it looks very professional and is fine for taking to the office on business.

However - cabin bag and weight restrictions are starting to grow and it isn't always an option to get this on board easily. I have switched to using the Weekender and the TLS professional weekender for most of my carry-on.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Have it, love it. No problem with the zippers. I'm sure mine are YKK and ebags say they use YKK......

The split sections are a real boon for me - with the end pouch used for toiletries. Also the ability to expand and check if you need more space.

In solid back it looks very professional and is fine for taking to the office on business.

However - cabin bag and weight restrictions are starting to grow and it isn't always an option to get this on board easily. I have switched to using the Weekender and the TLS professional weekender for most of my carry-on.
I think they changed the zippers at some point in their production run. Like I said, this is my favorite wheeled bag... especially because it fits into the overheads on ERJs (when not fully packed). If they went back to YKK, then I might consider buying another one.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Independent
I know I am in the minority, but I personally have not been thrilled with it. I keep it only as a back up or loaner bag when needed. In fact, it hasn't been returned to me by the last person borrowing it and I am not sure I am going ot ask for it back.

Anyways, my issues with it are:
1) And biggest - the handle mechanism/plastic housing take up far too much room in the bottom of the bag. You loose a lot of space to it.
2) The bag splits in half kind of like a hard-sider, but because there is a bottom to the upper section if you don't use it as a duffell you end up with two too small sections to be able to utilize them to their full potential.
3) Strangely there are no cinch straps in the lower section. There is one in the upper section but I found that one kind of useless.
4) If you do unzip the floor of the top section you have to put everything in through the top, but that does not open up all the way. And the roll-up floor eats up space.
5) I like the idea in theory of the outside cinch-down straps, but in practice they really didn't do much because they only pulled down the edges, the top still bulged.

I did like the extra long handle extension and the good wheels, though. If you are not going to fill up the bag and like lots of organization, you might like this bag. For me it did not work.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I pack mine full of clothes in the lower section - assorted work stuff in the top. Never needed the cinch straps. The handle does take up room, though I manage to pack around in to create a flat base. That's the price you pay for wheels, unless you have B&R, where you have unusable space outside
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I think they changed the zippers at some point in their production run. Like I said, this is my favorite wheeled bag... especially because it fits into the overheads on ERJs (when not fully packed). If they went back to YKK, then I might consider buying another one.
They changed once again to YKK zippers. The new bags with the ebags logo in the lower left corner all come with the new improved zippers.

The mother lode is a great carry on for sure!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:18 pm

Have it and love it and have been using it for over 7 years with zero problems. I originally bought it because I had some severe chronic shoulder problems and needed a very light carry on so that I'd be able to lift it overhead with little to no assistance and basically one-handed. We've also got 3 eTech Mother Lode bags and I actually probably prefer those for leisure travel because it packs more like a duffel bag and I can fit a LOT of stuff into them. We easily travel 1 or 2 weeks using just the eTech carry-ons. We've got 3 eBags carry-ons, the first one purchased in 2009 and they are all are going strong.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I've had the bag for years and hardly ever use it. It just won't fit what my Travelpros of the same size do. I also much prefer spinners, ever since I bought my first one 4 years ago.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I have the big mother lode, I really like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.