Exterior measurements 29” x 20.5” x 12.5”
Print Wikipost

AWAY brand luggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Away brand Luggage

Away Luggage

Anyone have a set from them? Looking to hear any feedback from folks that may have them. The USB feature is neat, I'm sure other brands do the same thing so it's not the main reason I'd be looking for them, although I haven't purchased yet.

Any referral codes someone can share?

Last edited by cmatthews11; Aug 6, 2017 at 2:09 pm
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:57 pm

I decided to avoid for two reasons/ The battery for the USB is super hard to remove, it involves screws. So if bag has to be checked for any reason things will get complicated. The carry on size is US carry on size, too big for European flights.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:31 pm

It's a marketing gimmick. Avoid.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Definitely get that the USB charger is a gimmick (dont see myself every needing it), but what about the bags themselves? Not worth the money compared to similar styles?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by cmatthews11
Definitely get that the USB charger is a gimmick (dont see myself every needing it), but what about the bags themselves? Not worth the money compared to similar styles?
For $200 based on build quality? Probably about the same but a lot of spinner hard sided bags are built very similarly for a good bit less. I think you do pay a bit based on the aesthetic if you disregard the charger.

http://fromsqualortoballer.com/away-...n-muji-review/
Away Luggage. Rimowa competitor?

Similar bags are < $150
eBags has a few with their own Limited Lifetime Warranty
https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/...uctid=10472649
https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/...uctid=10287884

I'd go with a longer established luggage manufacturer if the warranty is important to you. Lifetime warranty is only as good as the company's longevity and you definitely are paying for warranty, not just build quality, on the more expensive bags. At least brands like Eagle Creek & Rimowa have replacement parts so you don't need to send it in for certain things like wheel replacement and have regional repair centers, if you happen to be close to them. If not, the shipping is usually at your expense, repair only on them. Think about what price point does it make sense for you to ship & fix it (and not have the bag) vs replace it?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:45 am

Sorry to take this in a slightly tangential direction but does anyone know if the battery pack needs to be removed when going through security in the UK or US?

I got my away carry-on at the start of the year - before the first electronics ban - and haven't taken it on a trip yet. From memory, the batter pack is bigger than current the 16x9.3x1.5cm size restriction for electronics going through UK airports.

As for the quality of the suitcase, I'm pretty pleased with it. There's maybe more give in the shells than I'd like for the price but I suppose that gives it some flexibility should it get bashed around.

Removing the battery at first is a pain. The included screwdriver is not much more than a keychain and pretty difficult to use. I took the screws out of mine and and put tape over the access door. I figured that if it was ever questioned I could remove it a bit more quickly that way. Even then, you need to empty out one half of the case, unzip the lining and then open up the bottom of the battery compartment.

I'm still happy with mine but bear in mine that battery weighs significantly more than an Anker 10,000mAh battery, albeit more convenient to use while travelling.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL GM
I just got my luggage yesterday. I was definitely surprised the battery can be removed simply with a push down and it pops right out. I thought I needed a screwdriver but nope. Click mechanism in place.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:10 am

My existing luggage just bit the dust and I am going to give the carry-on lifestyle a go.

I was considering the Away carry-on ($225) and the Muji carry-on ($160). Eventually decided on a Delsey carry-on because eBags.com is offering 15 miles/dollar spent on the AA Shopping portal currently and it is $100. Plus I already have a small USB power bank that works just fine.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: SPG/Ritz/Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
My friend just bought the Away Bigger Carry-On. She loves it. According to her it can pack a lot more in the bag than she can with others. The battery pack was upgraded, not it pops out with the push of a button. The frame is still there though.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:37 pm

This space is going to get disrupted once again, soon.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
My daughter selected the carry-on Away bag. She's now jealous of by B&R carryon and wants that.

Her's seems good - size virtually the same outside; haven't done an interior sizing test, but seems similar. Don't see the value in the battery, but she was using it on our trip (I prefer my Anker, which I can take wherever and doesn't need to be removed).
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: too many
I'm torn between the Away and TP Crew or Magna series. I've had great results and years of use out of both hard and soft designs. I proly fly about six times a year. I travel with a 25" or 21" but rarely both.

I like the look of the Aways and with wireless earbuds, phone and tablet I think the charging port could come in handy--I ran low on my last trip and had to buy a $10 pair of earbuds for $22 at the airport... My real concern is that they have only been around for a while and there are no long-term reviews to reference. I want to hear how they hold up after five years...
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by diggitydog
I'm torn between the Away and TP Crew or Magna series. I've had great results and years of use out of both hard and soft designs. I proly fly about six times a year. I travel with a 25" or 21" but rarely both.

I like the look of the Aways and with wireless earbuds, phone and tablet I think the charging port could come in handy--I ran low on my last trip and had to buy a $10 pair of earbuds for $22 at the airport... My real concern is that they have only been around for a while and there are no long-term reviews to reference. I want to hear how they hold up after five years...
Remember as of January 15 you can no longer have the battery powered luggage to be stowed. You have to remove the battery before the flight. This kind of kills away and the rest of the luggage that you can charge your electronics with.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by powerlifter
Remember as of January 15 you can no longer have the battery powered luggage to be stowed. You have to remove the battery before the flight. This kind of kills away and the rest of the luggage that you can charge your electronics with.
Thanks, I wasn't aware that went into effect. I see that as a non-issue as both TP Crew 11 and Away make removal of built-in or third party battery-packs a breeze now. They can be removed and used in-cabin to charge your devices or to be recharged themselves in the case an outlet is available.

Regardless, the point of my post was long-term quality of the luggage.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:34 am

Cool brand. Poor quality.

AWAY has a nice instagram but that's about it. I own The LARGE. Did not buy Carry-On because removing their battery is a pain - they send you a screwdriver with you purchase. Not very user friendly and now Delta is asking customers to remove batteries before coming on-board. Have used the LARGE on 6 international trips and it it looks no better than the previous big suitcase I purchased on Canal street for $39.99 in NYC. The top two corners caved in - so far haven't cracked but I'm concerned. The handle is rickety and the wheels are tiny for the size of the suitcase. I don't use it anymore because I'm concerned it will crack en route and I don't like zippers. They can be broken into. Bottom line is that Away luggage is way overpriced for what it is. $295 vs $39.99 on Canal Street or $90 on Amazon Basics. Same cheap quality.

I also a RIMOWA and ARLO SKYE customer. They feel robust with latch locks and a frame construction and after looking into the shell material composition - they both use "virgin polycarbonate" instead of "regrind polycarbonate".

AWAY luggage is over-hyped, over-priced and below-average quality. Spend it elsewhere.

Last edited by lovemymiles_; Feb 13, 2018 at 9:53 am Reason: I could be more concise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.