Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

AWAY brand luggage

AWAY brand luggage

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 28, 19, 6:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Aero137
Wiki Link
AWAY Brand Luggage
https://www.awaytravel.com

- Durable polycarbonate/aluminum shell
- TSA-approved combination lock
- 360° spinner wheels
- Suitcase features leather details
- Black leather luggage tag
- Interior compression system
- Hidden laundry bag

The Carry-On
Exterior measurements 21.7” x 13.7” x 9”
Designed to fit most airline requirements

The Bigger Carry-On
Exterior measurements 22.7” x 14.7” x 9.6”
Designed to fit most baggage sizers
Confirmed on to fit in sizers for:
United
Alaska
EasyJet

The Medium
Exterior measurements 26” x 18.5” x 11”

The Large
Exterior measurements 29” x 20.5” x 12.5”
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 20, 16, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
AWAY brand luggage

Has anyone tried the AWAY brand luggage? It looks like online only with a concept store in NY. I looked back to the 2015 posts and didn't see any comments. They promo the luggage as high quality with no middle man.

I have no personal or financial interest in this product just curious.

www.awaytravel.com
Old Jul 27, 16, 6:33 am

Programs: AirNZ Silver, UAL, Delta
I just came here looking for the exact same answer myself. I can't really find any good independent reviews. I'm trying to decide between their https://www.awaytravel.com/luggage/carry-on or getting a TravelPro Crew 10 21"
Announcement4u likes this.
Old Jul 28, 16, 9:51 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Looks like it was founded by a couple former Warby Parker (online glasses frames) folks.

Some web-based reviews:
https://blog.hip2travel.com/2016/05/...roduct-review/
http://www.coolhunting.com/travel/aw...ry-on-suitcase
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/29/11...-gps-usb-power

And an interview:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesst...odays-traveler
Old Jul 29, 16, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM
I bought the Away luggage. I would say that it is okay for the price. Their customer service however is amazing. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Jul 29, 16, 12:17 pm

I'm interested in the Away line and recently wrote to Customer Service asking if they were planning any two-wheel "roll aboard" pieces instead of all spinners. I was told that these spinner have such great wheels that they travel well tilted in two-wheel mode (typically spinners feel super awkward to me in tilt mode). Do you have any experience/input in that arena, greycap7?
Old Jul 31, 16, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Ukalady View Post
I'm interested in the Away line and recently wrote to Customer Service asking if they were planning any two-wheel "roll aboard" pieces instead of all spinners. I was told that these spinner have such great wheels that they travel well tilted in two-wheel mode (typically spinners feel super awkward to me in tilt mode). Do you have any experience/input in that arena, greycap7?
Ah the wheels. They were probably the best part about the suitcase, they are pretty good. I travelled extensively through Europe on ST airlines and also on smaller regional jets within the US and I had no problem fitting the luggage into overhead bins. I don't specifically remember trying to two wheel the luggage. Maybe I can get back to you on that.
Old Mar 7, 17, 8:43 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I just ran into this brand. Their carry-ons have batteries that allow you to charge your devices. I checked their questions section: The batteries are Lithium Ion.

Doesn't that present a problem if the bag needs to be checked for any reason?
Old Mar 8, 17, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by AMflier View Post
I just ran into this brand. Their carry-ons have batteries that allow you to charge your devices. I checked their questions section: The batteries are Lithium Ion.

Doesn't that present a problem if the bag needs to be checked for any reason?
Yes, they would have to be removed to follow the rules.
Old Mar 20, 17, 5:20 pm

Were you able to carry on and place in overhead bins in the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet? Did you have the "Carry-On" or "the Bigger Carry-on?"

Originally Posted by greycap7 View Post
Ah the wheels. They were probably the best part about the suitcase, they are pretty good. I travelled extensively through Europe on ST airlines and also on smaller regional jets within the US and I had no problem fitting the luggage into overhead bins. I don't specifically remember trying to two wheel the luggage. Maybe I can get back to you on that.
Old Mar 20, 17, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hawaiian, Alaska
I just received 2 of the medium cases. I'm replacing 2 Tumi Vapor Medium cases that were 6 years old. The single wheel design on the Tumi just wasn't holding up and was difficult to maneuver on carpeting. I did check with Tumi about a retrofit but got nowhere.

I did try 2 different sizes of the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe, but didn't like the sizing and combined with the sticker prices I returned them.

I really loved the Tumi, we always said the zippered side was a magic compartment, because we could put a lot of stuff in there and it would always close.

On the Away case it has a compression compartment and I swear on my first trip I was able to get even more into that compartment than the Tumi.

The case is very light and I'm curious to see how it holds up. But the warranty sounds great as long as they stay in business. The wheels worked very well and I like the placement of the TSA zipper lock on the top of the case. Not sure I'll ever use the included laundry bag, but it snaps out.

The wheels have a lower profile, so when you look at the measurements the actual case itself is larger than others with the same measurement, just because more of the dimension is actual case and not wheel clearance, if that makes sense.

The one thing I'm not crazy about is the "slop" in the zipper when it's closed up. It looks like it's a wider zipper and so the 2 sides move around a bit compared to the Tumi. I'm in the habit of using a locking strap anyway so it's just a minor annoyance.

At this price point, $275, I'm very happy so far.
Old Mar 20, 17, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Setherd View Post
Yes, they would have to be removed to follow the rules.
They don't need to be removed.

Per their FAQ
Is the battery allowed on planes?
Your suitcase battery is compliant with FAA, TSA, and DOT regulations and meets UN/DOT 38.3 requirements. It can be checked or carried onto any flight other than flights originating in Asia, where it can only be carried on. You can find more details here.
If you need to take out the battery for any reason, we’ve included a screwdriver for quick removal. When flying out of Asia, remove the battery before going through security (they’re sticklers there).
Old Mar 22, 17, 9:28 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by ddavault View Post
I just received 2 of the medium cases. I'm replacing 2 Tumi Vapor Medium cases that were 6 years old. The single wheel design on the Tumi just wasn't holding up and was difficult to maneuver on carpeting. I did check with Tumi about a retrofit but got nowhere.

I did try 2 different sizes of the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe, but didn't like the sizing and combined with the sticker prices I returned them.

I really loved the Tumi, we always said the zippered side was a magic compartment, because we could put a lot of stuff in there and it would always close.

On the Away case it has a compression compartment and I swear on my first trip I was able to get even more into that compartment than the Tumi.

The case is very light and I'm curious to see how it holds up. But the warranty sounds great as long as they stay in business. The wheels worked very well and I like the placement of the TSA zipper lock on the top of the case. Not sure I'll ever use the included laundry bag, but it snaps out.

The wheels have a lower profile, so when you look at the measurements the actual case itself is larger than others with the same measurement, just because more of the dimension is actual case and not wheel clearance, if that makes sense.

The one thing I'm not crazy about is the "slop" in the zipper when it's closed up. It looks like it's a wider zipper and so the 2 sides move around a bit compared to the Tumi. I'm in the habit of using a locking strap anyway so it's just a minor annoyance.

At this price point, $275, I'm very happy so far.

Awesome! Great review! I have been looking for someone that did a proper review and that have also check the Rimowa Salsa. Which I was thinking of getting, but the Away's price is very convincing and warranty.

Away's website has some reviews but I don't like reading reviews from their own website!
Old Mar 24, 17, 10:46 pm

There is nothing revolutionary about this suitcase. Plastic shell, compression straps, warranty, USB ports, been there done that.

It's marketing hype. Story of two millennials who got some financial backing which is surprisingly easier than you can imagine if you've got a little Don Draper in you.

BJ
Old Apr 25, 17, 9:37 pm

$20 off with code UPGRADE4 through October 31, 2017.
Old May 24, 17, 9:33 am

I had an away suitcase and promptly returned it. Their client service is very good.

The product is below average. Plastic shell with zippers and 4 wheels.

They falsely say that the carry-on can be gate-checked with the lithium ion battery inside. The TSA and IATA do not allow spare lithium batteries to be in cargo. To remove the battery, you have to open the entire suitcase, remove your stuff, unzip the lining and use a screwdriver that they send with the luggage. Totally impractical. And they are using cheap chinese batteries - which is a big concern to me.

I'm used to happily use Muji luggage until I upgraded to Arlo Skye. When I tried Away, I immediately noticed they use the same parts at Muji. But Muji costs $155 and Away feels way overpriced at $225. Better off buying Muji for the same price. There are so many other plastic brands for much cheaper than $150.

The away brand is great example of marketing hype but below average product that's over priced.
tcl likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: