FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AWAY brand luggage
View Single Post
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:45 am
Dilettante

Sorry to take this in a slightly tangential direction but does anyone know if the battery pack needs to be removed when going through security in the UK or US?

I got my away carry-on at the start of the year - before the first electronics ban - and haven't taken it on a trip yet. From memory, the batter pack is bigger than current the 16x9.3x1.5cm size restriction for electronics going through UK airports.

As for the quality of the suitcase, I'm pretty pleased with it. There's maybe more give in the shells than I'd like for the price but I suppose that gives it some flexibility should it get bashed around.

Removing the battery at first is a pain. The included screwdriver is not much more than a keychain and pretty difficult to use. I took the screws out of mine and and put tape over the access door. I figured that if it was ever questioned I could remove it a bit more quickly that way. Even then, you need to empty out one half of the case, unzip the lining and then open up the bottom of the battery compartment.

I'm still happy with mine but bear in mine that battery weighs significantly more than an Anker 10,000mAh battery, albeit more convenient to use while travelling.