Exterior measurements 26” x 18.5” x 11”

The Large
Exterior measurements 29” x 20.5” x 12.5”
Print Wikipost

AWAY brand luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by progapanda
Coming in at less than half the price, I don't think Away with its aluminium spinner is even trying to compete with Rimowa's original aluminium collection. And while I welcome your views, respectfully, I think you're a little out of date in making that connection that outsourced manufacturing necessarily equals poorer quality. More choices at different price and quality points is a better deal for a wider range of customers.
Thank you for your insightful reply. I think outsourced can mean better quality in some cases, for example if I was to manufacture a suitcase designed in say Japan, and I wanted to use special German alloys, I would outsource to Germany if their alloy demonstrated a higher strength than Japanese alloys. There can be a labour skill gap; I have observed in Japan that RIMOWA repairs seem to happen more often with the polycarbonate models, who happen to be outsourced. Of course this is my observation, and others may have had different experiences. Low price can be maintained if profit margins are lowered, rather than compromising on materials and structural integrity. Relying on word-of-mouth rather than overt advertising will reduce price as well. PROTECA luggage company, and ITO luggage (japan-ito.com/), not well known to foreigners, but highly regarded domestically, do this well in my opinion, and no outsourcing necessary.

Last edited by elau1999; Jul 30, 2020 at 4:44 am
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I’m gonna go back on my post a bit. I bought an Away bag as a gift, and the quality seems pretty good for the price. I am traveling more recently and I need to rethink my luggage, I am
considering adding a piece or two - in particular, their medium check in luggage seems like a great size and value. In 2020 I will likely buy a Rimowa Cabin Plus (aluminum), an Away Medium (polycarbonate) and maybe an Away bigger carryon. The Away aluminum seems relatively flimsy so not sure if it is worth the premium
I have had my aluminum carry on for two years now. I am a 1k on United and fly 8-10 flight segments per month usually. Most of these flights tend to be on small regional jets as well where I have to gate check my bag. We all know they dont handle bags nicely...I have had ZERO issues with my bag and its holding up great.

Originally Posted by elau1999
I do not recommend AWAY, or any other aluminum luggage company besides RIMOWA. The reason is because of craftsmanship. First of all, AWAY and all the other aluminum suitcase brands use a 100% Al construction, whereas RIMOWA has the good sense to use an alloy of Al and Mg. The alloy is far more durable than 100% aluminum, the ribs also assist in the durability. This is also one of the reasons AWAY and others are so cheap, they did not do sufficient R&D. People have been complaining about durability problems, and how other aluminum suitcases are prone to massive dents despite being very carefully handled, and I think this is the main issue. Second, AWAY and the others are all outsourced, whereas RIMOWA still retains a small selection of "Made in Germany" skilled labour for the Original. I dare say AWAY and others, despite being cheaper, are actually more profitable for their respective companies because they have compromised on quality. There is no other option besides RIMOWA or Bespoke, for aluminum luggage. If other new companies used a stronger alloy than Rimowa, better wheels, same worldwide warranty, etc, then I would reconsider. But this is a tip for any new companies, you cannot cut corners in terms of construction and quality control. If you cut corners, you lose your customer base.
See my comment above. You assumptions of quality on the away bags are false. The durability of their aluminum bags have been very impressive with two years of heavy use.

Edit - if I have some time later today I will post some pics of the bag after two years of heavy use for those that are curious. It has some nice wear and tear similar to what you see with used rimowa bags. I believe I posted above a 6mo or one year extended review as well...but cant remember if I did any pics.
Adelphos likes this.

Last edited by RoyMan; Jul 30, 2020 at 8:38 am
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:11 am

Thank you Roy for your insight. There is no doubt that an Aluminium/Magnesium alloy is the superior material to 100% Aluminium, assuming thickness is the constant. Please post photos, I stand by my comment, the MSRP price is good but the choice of materials leaves something to be desired, and at that price point I would expect an alloy. Probably the company felt marketing was more important than a competitively crafted product. I would suggest getting a RIMOWA at a large discount like I did, and then comparing the wear and tear on both. Please provide your photos, as well as context of where your aluminium suitcase has been. Thank you again.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will Away survive Covid? They must be hurting big time right now.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Ok here are some 2 years 3 months of use photos with my Aluminum bag. As I stated before in multiple posts above this thing is holding up amazing and I think the construction is great...especially for the price. Similar to rimowas with alot of use they get dents and scratches. I personally like the used/worn look but its not for everyone. I have flown easily over 200 flight segments with this bag (I am a 1k with United). Mostly domestic US and probably 2-3 international trips a year as well. About a third or more of the domestic flights are on regional jets where I have had to gate check the bag. I only took exterior pics as the interior looks brand new. I am not easy on this bag by any means with how much I use it or where I go...frequently have to walk with it on city streets/etc to get to/from train stations...tossed into car trunks, train/bus overhead bins, and of course tons of planes. The back (where most of the stickers are) gets scratched more than the front as that is where it touches overhead bins and such...you can see some of that inbetween the sticker bombing I did.

The only issue I had with the bag was one of the locks wasn't functioning correctly right after I purchased it (likely a manufacturing issue) Their customer service was great and had it back to me super fast inbetween some work trips. I detailed this in an earlier post.

Here is a $20 off away refer a friend link if you want to pick one up - http://refer.awaytravel.com/v/roy_5
krazykanuck and madmanshoney like this.

Last edited by RoyMan; Aug 7, 2020 at 2:20 pm
Old Aug 18, 2020, 2:49 pm

I looked at Away and went with TravelPro.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by elau1999
I beg to differ on Tumi. Their luggage is made of categorically inferior materials and construction. Rimowa or Swaine Adeney Brigg is the way to go.
I use a Tumi Alpha 3 and have never had an issue with the materials or construction. Not exactly sure where you get this from. Actually my Tumi bag has fared much better than my wife’s Away bag in the same circumstances. I know different material and price point but I think your statement is very misleading and untrue.
OceanAir likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: UR and MR
just FYI, they're having a sale tomorrow (9/9). Never had a suitcase from them but their weekender bag has served me well. Think I'll be picking up a carry-on suitcase for ~120 USD.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:24 pm

A vote of confidence for this brand. My wife and I have taken our carry ons on nearly 100 flights in the past 3 years. The bags have held up very very well. No signs of serious wear.

Say what you want about the company. The product has been good for us. I could care less about the battery.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:48 am

Away Luggage Quality is Bad

We bought 3 Away bags for the family. Two months in, one of them had its zippers jammed, a month later the second had a wheel ripped off on its first flight, and the third bag looked like hell after 4 trips. Yes Away replaced them - but i can't imagine having one of these on an international trip and something happens. They are CHEAPLY made but they have raised so much external investor money that they can use that money to constantly replace the bags. After reading the VERGE article about how Away mistreats their employees I decided to search for another brand.

I came across a brand called Arlo Skye on CN Traveler and The Wall Street Journal. Decided to buy their bags for the family and the quality level is outstanding. They are $100 more expensive than Away but as the old adage goes... you get what you pay for. Plus they actually look so much more elevated. We bought the new zipper carry-ons for the family which have a hard-shell front pocket. They are a game changer! Great to stow a book or laptop in the front pocket. There are no issues if you have to gate-check the bag since the front pocket is also made of a polycarbonate exterior and it has survived the baggage handlers. Their power banks come with USB A and C ports which is a lifesaver. These guys are the true Rimowa level but without the snootiness. Safe travels you all.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
What made this luggage startup a saliva factory for investors?
Old Feb 26, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mikesflr
We bought 3 Away bags for the family. Two months in, one of them had its zippers jammed, a month later the second had a wheel ripped off on its first flight, and the third bag looked like hell after 4 trips. Yes Away replaced them - but i can't imagine having one of these on an international trip and something happens. They are CHEAPLY made but they have raised so much external investor money that they can use that money to constantly replace the bags. After reading the VERGE article about how Away mistreats their employees I decided to search for another brand.

I came across a brand called Arlo Skye on CN Traveler and The Wall Street Journal. Decided to buy their bags for the family and the quality level is outstanding. They are $100 more expensive than Away but as the old adage goes... you get what you pay for. Plus they actually look so much more elevated. We bought the new zipper carry-ons for the family which have a hard-shell front pocket. They are a game changer! Great to stow a book or laptop in the front pocket. There are no issues if you have to gate-check the bag since the front pocket is also made of a polycarbonate exterior and it has survived the baggage handlers. Their power banks come with USB A and C ports which is a lifesaver. These guys are the true Rimowa level but without the snootiness. Safe travels you all.
How well do the Arlo's wheels handle carpet? Looking to ditch my Tumi, but would be happy to avoid Rimowa
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Chase Sapphire Reserve is offering $200 off $500 at Away this month (in addition to 150% UR payback).

Any recent “long term use” reviews? I am interested in either 2 carryons or one checked and one carryon.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Chase Sapphire Reserve is offering $200 off $500 at Away this month (in addition to 150% UR payback).

Any recent “long term use” reviews? I am interested in either 2 carryons or one checked and one carryon.
I've had my away aluminum Bigger Carry on for about 2 years now and the wheels and interior have held up very well. The exterior seems to show more wear than my Rimowa carry on. I suspect the design/grooves on the Rimowa give it an extra layer of protection. My Away has way more scratches and dents, feels like its a "softer" aluminum. Hope this helps.

Great deal from Sapphire Reserve, essentially 20-25k UR points for a $500 Away luggage. Would pull the trigger if I needed one.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I have three of the AWAY amenity kits from flying in Polaris on United over the past couple months. Unfortunate that there's not a discount code in the kits to use to purchase new luggage. I'm in need of a new carry-on and checked suitcase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.