Exterior measurements 26” x 18.5” x 11”

The Large
Exterior measurements 29” x 20.5” x 12.5”
Print Wikipost

AWAY brand luggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Sorry for the delay..had to switch my flights up a couple weeks ago and didn’t get on one. I just boarded a CRJ today and the larger aluminum did not fit. It was close though maybe an inch or so. Looking at the dimensions on the website I don’t think the smaller would fit either.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:41 pm

I believe I saw the polycarbonate regular carry-on on a CRJ900 yesterday, Y AB section of Air Canada Jazz config. Had to be in sideways, insert wheels first & rotate, and it was a very tight fit - bin barely latched and gaped a bit on the ends. The most stringent requirement was the bin height and luckily polycarb will flex a bit. If I flew that config frequently and wanted to go with hard sided wheeled carry-on, I'd definitely look for something less than 9" deep to make sure the bin could be closed securely and easier to put in/take out without straining. Earlier thread notes CRJ700 common bin depth is 8" B&R International bag on CRJ700 or RJ135? so even the Away kids carry-on would be too deep.

Last edited by freecia; Aug 1, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Wondering if anyone has data points for the bigger carryon and delta (specifically boarding for economy)?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by floridagal23
Wondering if anyone has data points for the bigger carryon and delta (specifically boarding for economy)?
This varies on the Delta aircraft for your given route. Delta connection(regional) planes will likely make you gate check your bag. If you are mostly traveling on Delta airlines, you should be okay the fleet mostly consists of Boeing/Airbus and MD-80’s.

I have an Aluminum bigger carry on that I love, quality is great for the price point. I would suggest buying the bag before you travel to take advantage of there 100 day trial. Returns are free and they didn’t ask any questions.

Last edited by wharvey; Aug 4, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:18 pm
Db3

Originally Posted by RoyMan
So I ended up buying a few bags and doing a bit of a throwdown comparison. I purchased both the Away plastic bigger carry on and aluminum bigger carry on. Additionally I got both the plastic and aluminum from Arlo Skye. Both before and after purchasing these I made wayyy too many trips to department and luggage stores to check out/test many of the name brands. The reason I did this? I travel for work almost every week and my 10+ year old soft sided samsonite needed to be replaced since the handle was cracking and everything else was really starting to wear. I want a bag that is functional and going to last. Away won out for me primarily because of the packing compression system inside the bag..its flat out better than everyone else. The only one that I would say is comparable or better is Briggs & Riley but their bags cost much more. Due to this I didn't see a point in road testing the Arlo Skye bags since I couldnt even pack a week work trip's worth of stuff without having to smash it closed. Ill get into more detail below.

I had quite a bit of criteria, things I tested and considered but these were the most important ones and my thoughts on Away vs Arlo Skye vs Others:
  • Carry on and works in europe/US big planes/most small planes
    • All of the bags were totally fine for this..the only time I ever have to gate check is on regional jets (this was with both of the bigger away bags). The Arlo Skye/smaller away bags would still have to be gate checked as well on small planes. I have taken my away bag to Europe twice and flown on at least 4 different legs and a few airlines with no issues carrying the bigger carry-on on the plane.
  • Able to hold clothes for a short (2-3 day) work trip or longer 7+ day work trip/vacation
    • My old samsonite silhouette could do this..so I wanted to make sure whatever I purchased next could do the same. The Arlo Skye bags could fit a 3 day trip ok but that was near the max...when trying to do a 7+ day trip I had to really force the Arlo's closed and caused a bulge/dent in the bags. The packing compression straps just dont work well on the Arlo bags..they even popped open multiple times on me when trying to tighten them. Opening the Arlo's after packing them FULL was really difficult with their style of latches too. The bigger away carry-ons had no issues for 3 or 7+ days of clothes. The packing compression system is simply amazing! The plastic Away is slightly bigger than the aluminum for inside volume due to the construction but its pretty minimal. Even when I really pack the aluminum Away bag full the latches are still easy to open. I didnt explore the smaller Away carry-on's since I knew it was smaller in volume than the Arlo Skye so it would not have worked out well for me. Many of the other brands I looked at had very similar packing compression systems to Arlo Skye - so because of that I really didnt see much of a point in exploring many of those further (with the exception of B&R's awesome system that rivals Away, but the cost was prohibitive).
  • General durability (wheels, handles, case, etc)
    • The Away aluminum was my favorite here followed by the Arlo skye aluminum...I just really like the durable feel of that material. The arlo skye has some nice plastic runners on the bag to protect against scratches. The away did not...after a dozen plus flights the back of my Away has some scratches but I like how it is starting to look with age. The away plastic was also great...after taking it on at least 7 trips it still looks almost new. A couple small marks/scratches...most of the marks come out if you get a little soap/water on them too. The Away aluminum handle was also my top pick..its a bit thicker and leather wrapped compared to the plastic Away handle, and feels more durable. The Arlo Skye handles were the same on both bags and felt of similar durability to the Away plastic, but I did not like the shape of them. The wheels on all of the bags seemed to be the same exact ones...really awesome wheels! Super quiet and after taking them on streets, cobbles, and other rough surfaces they are holding up great. I was really disappointed in durability qualities I saw out of other brands like Samsonite, Delsey, and TravelPro..while the costs of their bags are competitive or less than Away/Arlo Skye they were lacking (depending on the model of bag) in wheel, handle, or overall quality. It just seemed like they didnt make one bag that had it all. The only brands that seemed to have that were Briggs & Riley or Rimowa..but their costs are quite a bit more than Away or even Arlo Skye that goes for more than Away.
  • Warranty/customer service
    • This one is tough...being new companies its hard to say who is better in terms of Away vs Arlo Skye. Away offers a lifetime warranty so thats a nice idea...but being a startup its hard to say if that will last if the company does not. They seem to be doing well so I don't think there is much to worry about there. Arlo Skye offers a 5 year warranty that isnt quite as good as Away but on par with Rimowa and Tumi. Again when you think about the cost for what you are getting it is hard for me to justify spending $700+ on something from Rimowa or Tumi for only a 5 year warranty. From a customer service perspective Away and Arlo Skye have really impressed me. Before I purchased (and after) I have emailed both of them questions about all kinds of random things (returns, how warranty works, design/functionality questions, etc) and they both respond impressively quick with very detailed and helpful answers. A few years after I purchased my Samsonite bag I had to have it serviced for a warranty issue and it was a hassle to communicate with them and it took very long (6 weeks).
  • Other
    • USB charging thing..It was really a non-starter for me. I have used it a couple times but its no different to me than having a USB charger in my personal item bag. I do like how they are easily removable (push it like a toaster and it pops out) so in the event I have to gate check the bag it only takes a second to remove it. It also comes with a nice little international USB charger for it that I might use to charge my phone over the international converter I already have. There were a few other bags that had interesting features like Muji - wheel locking system. This was really enticing to me but they were consistently sold out (their warranty was only 3yr and volume was smaller too unfortunately). The new Samsonite silhouettes had one of the weirdest handles ever...it has a gel grip on the underside. I hated that! Though the wheels on them were impressive. Travelpro had a really interesting superlight bag...but I worried about the long term durability of it since it was so thin/light. Samsonite had a bag made of recycled materials..really liked this one except for crappy feeling wheels.

So after all the testing and research I ended up keeping the Away aluminum bigger carry on. It was a tough choice between that and the plastic one..but I really just liked the latches over zippers more and the slightly better handle. For a third of the cost of a similar Rimowa (and with better warranty, features, etc) I couldnt be happier. If you are interested in Away and want $20 off your order feel free to use my referral link

I have a boatload of pics of the bags if anyone is interested in specifics (packing, side by side, etc, etc). I can post as requested.
How did it end up with the away carryon ? Did you try the arlo Skye polycarbonate ?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Db3
How did it end up with the away carryon ? Did you try the arlo Skye polycarbonate ?
Great - I have had it for 1.5yr now with a TON of flights and it has held up amazingly. Ive made a number of follow up posts in this thread about specifics and posted some pics as well. Their customer support has been really impressive as well. Def worth checking out. The post you quoted I detailed the away bags vs Arlo Skye. I found the quality of Arlo Skye to be not as good..especially the poly one and the internal packing system. Away's is FAR superior. If you end up going with away here is a $20 off link - http://ow.ly/HTIz50wHvTl
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:00 pm

Anyone try their new soft shell line?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
I purchased the Bigger Carry On in April and upon receiving it was skeptical. It looked....big. Filled out the return info and then thought...there's free returns within 100 days, so why not try it out? Headed to Indonesia the next week, and while at the airport I tried to find a sizer that it wouldn't fit. It's seriously magic. Though it looks huge, it fit in UA, AA, AS, SW sizers. Used it abroad and it fit into overheads in Cathay regional and international, Lion Air, BA regional and international, Iceland Air, Lufthansa, TAP regional, Hainan, etc.

Packs two weeks of various weather clothing easily, rolls/spins with minimal effort, battery pack is great, more lightweight that my previous bags (EBag TLS motherlode, eagle creek tarmac) . I've checked it occasionally (usually when liquor is involved) and it comes out unscathed with contents intact. I really like taking maximum stuff with minimum effort, and that's the bottom line.
RoyMan likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by QT31415
I purchased the Bigger Carry On in April and upon receiving it was skeptical. It looked....big. Filled out the return info and then thought...there's free returns within 100 days, so why not try it out? Headed to Indonesia the next week, and while at the airport I tried to find a sizer that it wouldn't fit. It's seriously magic. Though it looks huge, it fit in UA, AA, AS, SW sizers. Used it abroad and it fit into overheads in Cathay regional and international, Lion Air, BA regional and international, Iceland Air, Lufthansa, TAP regional, Hainan, etc.

Packs two weeks of various weather clothing easily, rolls/spins with minimal effort, battery pack is great, more lightweight that my previous bags (EBag TLS motherlode, eagle creek tarmac) . I've checked it occasionally (usually when liquor is involved) and it comes out unscathed with contents intact. I really like taking maximum stuff with minimum effort, and that's the bottom line.
Very interesting to know that it worked for CX international. Was it ever questioned?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by QT31415

Very interesting that it fit into the international sizers... have been contemplating the pocket version, but can't decide if I want the carry-on or the larger one.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Very interesting to know that it worked for CX international. Was it ever questioned?
They made me pop out the battery (simple to do) and carry it in a separate bag. Other than that, no problem.
Baghoarder likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: QF CL
Good to know. I’m tempted by the Bigger Expandable Carry On. As a mostly QF business class flyer (with a 10kg max for one carry on bag now) it might work unexpanded. CX is not a bad proxy given its weight restrictions.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Good to know. I’m tempted by the Bigger Expandable Carry On. As a mostly QF business class flyer (with a 10kg max for one carry on bag now) it might work unexpanded. CX is not a bad proxy given its weight restrictions.
I'm trying to decide between the Bigger Expandable Carry On vs the Bigger Carry On (no battery version) too. The Expandable when unexpanded holds 1 liter less which I'm estimating to be about 2 shirts rolled up tight?? Expandable weights 2.5 pounds (or 1 kg) more. But the Expandable has a nicely integrated front pocket, and there's a sort of handle near the wheels that would make it easier to lift up as you would be able to use the top handle and bottom handle together, whereas with the polycarbonate there's only the handle at the top. With the polycarbonate it would be easy to wipe clean if mud got on it, but with the nylon it would "trap" some of the dirt/mud. Maybe it would be easy to brush off the dirt on the nylon??
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Looking for experiences with the checked bags

A lot of experiences with their hardside carry on here but does anyone have any experience with their checked luggage? (The Medium and The Large)

Carry ons generally last a long time unless they're gate checked but checked luggage are pretty much Russian roulette every time you have to use it. How well do they hold up? Any warranty experiences? I'm looking at getting an Away medium or large because all my older larger luggage are in tatters right now.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Magna
I'm trying to decide between the Bigger Expandable Carry On vs the Bigger Carry On (no battery version) too. The Expandable when unexpanded holds 1 liter less which I'm estimating to be about 2 shirts rolled up tight?? Expandable weights 2.5 pounds (or 1 kg) more. But the Expandable has a nicely integrated front pocket, and there's a sort of handle near the wheels that would make it easier to lift up as you would be able to use the top handle and bottom handle together, whereas with the polycarbonate there's only the handle at the top. With the polycarbonate it would be easy to wipe clean if mud got on it, but with the nylon it would "trap" some of the dirt/mud. Maybe it would be easy to brush off the dirt on the nylon??
Id say with a 2" expansion you could prob get a little more than 2 shirts if you can squish it...I used to have a soft sided samsonite bag with a 2" expansion and I was able to fit probably 2-3 more shirts and an extra pair of pants. With the poly (and aluminum) its really easy to wipe them clean with a wet/soapy rag. For the nylon it will capture dirt a bit more (at least my old samsonite did) I could get most stuff out using soap/water/rag but it was more work.

Originally Posted by raycosm
A lot of experiences with their hardside carry on here but does anyone have any experience with their checked luggage? (The Medium and The Large)

Carry ons generally last a long time unless they're gate checked but checked luggage are pretty much Russian roulette every time you have to use it. How well do they hold up? Any warranty experiences? I'm looking at getting an Away medium or large because all my older larger luggage are in tatters right now.
I am interested in hearing about the checked bags as well (poly and AL). I have gate checked my aluminum carry on quite a few times (damn regional jets)...and its held up nicely. A few dents and scratches but nothing major. I did warranty the bag at one point (buckle issue) and had a really good experience with them. I detailed it out in a post above....they were very quick!! Like a week at the most I think. Much quicker than when I had to warranty my Samsonite bag years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.