Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Travel Accessory

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Shak51
Hooks on the doors were removed from public restrooms because of numerous thefts. This product hook is visible to those outside a stall and in my view would increase chance and ease of theft.
That was my first thought. It's something I might use in an airline lounge restroom but not in a public restroom. I'd be way too concerned someone could yank my bag over the top and it would be long gone before I could get my panties up.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:04 pm

I don't understand the theft concern, if the alternative is putting your stuff on the floor. Most airport restrooms I've seen have walls/doors that don't come all the way to the floor. Thieves can still target your gear through that gap (and they can even see what they are stealing first, which seems like it would make the job easier).
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by cmay
I don't understand the theft concern, if the alternative is putting your stuff on the floor. Most airport restrooms I've seen have walls/doors that don't come all the way to the floor. Thieves can still target your gear through that gap (and they can even see what they are stealing first, which seems like it would make the job easier).
Here are a couple of public restroom crime, one on Flyer Talk.

The other link is from Detective Kevin Coffee. Read "Bathroom bandits". Dective Coffee is or was a real policeman in LA. He founded the Airport Crimes Investigations Detail in LA. He is also a travel safety consultant.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women...rse-hooks.html

http://www.kevincoffey.com/security/..._criminals.htm

Shak
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:36 pm

Why not something like this? www.amazon.com/dp/B002OJC1J8 I'd prefer that rather than hanging something over the door.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:40 pm

The other link is from Detective Kevin Coffee. Read "Bathroom bandits".
From that link: "Men face a different risk, Coffey says. "If we're in a bathroom stall, we can literally get caught with our pants down. If our wallet is in our pants, it's easy for a crook to reach between stalls and remove it.""

Seems like the same risk applies to a bag sitting on the floor.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by olando
Why not something like this? www.amazon.com/dp/B002OJC1J8 I'd prefer that rather than hanging something over the door.
that wouldn't support anything heavier than a coat
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Re: Hook2Go

Originally Posted by olando
nmh is correct Olando. It is a good idea and one we tried. It holds a lightweight jacket but if you have a heavy over coat or bag it gives out.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by cmay
From that link: "Men face a different risk, Coffey says. "If we're in a bathroom stall, we can literally get caught with our pants down. If our wallet is in our pants, it's easy for a crook to reach between stalls and remove it.""

Seems like the same risk applies to a bag sitting on the floor.
This is the actual quote from Detective Coffey:

Safeguards: A woman should hang her purse around her neck or put it on the floor securely between her feet.

The operative word is securely.

Shak
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Re: Hook2Go

Here are a couple of public restroom crime, one on Flyer Talk.

The other link is from Detective Kevin Coffee. Read "Bathroom bandits". Dective Coffee is or was a real policeman in LA. He founded the Airport Crimes Investigations Detail in LA. He is also a travel safety consultant.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women...rse-hooks.html

http://www.kevincoffey.com/security/..._criminals.htm

Shak

There is no question that there are scumbags out there. As cmay states the floor is no better option. If you are lucky you can use the handicap stall that has one of the baby changing tables - just open it and rest your belongings on it. That is certainly the Best option.

The Hook2Go is simply an option that has worked well for many.

Another great option that solves both the reach over fear and keeps your belongings off the floor is to hang the Hook2Go from the toilet seat cover dispenser that are in most stalls. This won't do much for a long coat but is ideal for purses and bags.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by JMB77068
There is no question that there are scumbags out there. As cmay states the floor is no better option. If you are lucky you can use the handicap stall that has one of the baby changing tables - just open it and rest your belongings on it. That is certainly the Best option.

Another great option that solves both the reach over fear and keeps your belongings off the floor is to hang the Hook2Go from the toilet seat cover dispenser that are in most stalls. This won't do much for a long coat but is ideal for purses and bags.
we don't have seat cover dispensers in europe
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by JMB77068

I really believe the product you are promoting is a high quality product and I am sure there are many that find it useful, but I firmly believe that putting an item that has your money, credit card, airline tickets, passport, or anything else of value is not very safe on any hook on a public restroom door. I like my chances much better if my bag (not luggage) is either around my neck, on my lap, or on the floor with my leg through the strap. My wallet is never carried in a back pocket and my wallet is on a chain that is wrapped around my belt and attached to my belt loop.

Shak
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
My wallet is never carried in a back pocket and my wallet is on a chain that is wrapped around my belt and attached to my belt loop.
Uhhh... Like this?

Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Consultette
Uhhh... Like this?

This one. I find this wallet reduces both accidental loss and loss through theft. Actually the chain is barely noticeable. The only visible part is the couple of inches from my belt to my front pocket.

Amazon Amazon

Shak

Last edited by Shak51; Jun 8, 2015 at 5:21 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
This one. I find this wallet reduces both accidental loss and loss through theft. Actually the chain is barely noticeable. The only visible part is the couple of inches from my belt to my front pocket.

http://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Wallet...pacsafe+wallet

Shak
Much more subtle. Reading your first post brought flashbacks to the nu metal days of my youth.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:46 am

Bag on the floor is more secure because you can have it closer to you, within arm's reach, and if there is a strap, step through it. Thieves also would have to crouch and reach under the door (which allows you to see them sooner), if the bag can even fit through the gap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.