Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm looking for the smallest plug point extender

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:41 am
Original Poster

I'm looking for the smallest plug point extender

Hi all, specifically for hotels in EU & Asia, where many hotels only provide one plug point, I am looking at purchasing the absolutely smallest available plug point extender.

I looked around for options, in terms of compact size and based on past threads, it seems they are
a) Monster outlets to go
b) Allcel adapter
c) Other options are mentioned in this wirecutter article

However, from what I understand, none of these adapt down 220V to 110V.

If that is correct, why not just buy this sort of product? Its a 3 outlet GE grounded adapter and is smaller than all of the above.

All my devices are rated at 110-220, so if I use my kikkerland pin adaptor with this GE product, I get 3 outlets. I plan to stick my MBP adaptor in one (which is rated 110-220), my Skiva Quadfire in the other (which is also rated 110-220) and charge my Edimax, iPad mini and iPhone via the Skiva

Is there a problem with this setup? or will the GE product itself fry because its inserted in a 220V system?

thanks

Last edited by arjunrc; Mar 16, 2014 at 9:39 am
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:20 am

You risk frying an adapter with 110v surge supression if you plug into 220v but a cheap 3 outlet adapter like the GE you mentioned is fine since it is just a straight electrical connection as long as you do not go over rated watts. Not an issue for device charging but don't add a hair dryer.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:41 am
Original Poster

AFAM-DFW, thanks. That's what I assumed. So as long as I get a simple 'pass thru' like the GE one below and only use equipment like the Skiva (20W highest) and my MBP charger (60W), I have no danger to either my end devices or the cheap GE socket extension, irrespective of whether I plug it into a 110V or 220V socket, correct?

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
You risk frying an adapter with 110v surge supression if you plug into 220v but a cheap 3 outlet adapter like the GE you mentioned is fine since it is just a straight electrical connection as long as you do not go over rated watts. Not an issue for device charging but don't add a hair dryer.

Last edited by arjunrc; Mar 16, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by arjunrc
Hi all, specifically for hotels in EU & Asia, where many hotels only provide one plug point, I am looking at purchasing the absolutely smallest available plug point extender.

I looked around for options, in terms of compact size and based on past threads, it seems they are
a) Monster outlets to go
b) Allcel adapter
c) Other options are mentioned in this wirecutter article

If that is correct, why not just buy this sort of product? Its a 3 outlet GE grounded adapter and is smaller than all of the above.

All my devices are rated at 110-220, so if I use my kikkerland pin adaptor with this GE product, I get 3 outlets. I plan to stick my MBP adaptor in one (which is rated 110-220), my Skiva Quadfire in the other (which is also rated 110-220) and charge my Edimax, iPad mini and iPhone via the Skiva

Is there a problem with this setup? or will the GE product itself fry because its inserted in a 220V system?

thanks

I've used this Belkin for the past three years in Asia and Europe and its great. Three power sockets plus two USB ports. Best thing about it is that the plug portion rotates 360 degrees with click-stops so that it can fit in any orientation.

BJ
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
I have the Monster OTG device & I've had no issues using it in EU or Asia.

I like it because it has a short cord, so if the only available outlet is behind a desk, it will still work. I also like it because it only takes up one outlet, unlike that Accell unit you linked to. This will also fit well into a standard travel adapter (as would the GE that you linked to). Some of those larger ones would be pretty bulky on their own, and then when you add additional cables to them, the weight will pull them out of many outlets (I'd suspect that this would be an issue for the GE adapter too). It's also superior to the Belkin in that link because it'll work with 3 devices even if one or more of them have a wide power transformer.

I think the primary difference is that you want one that's really just a dumb splitter. The ones with integrated USB chargers would be the ones more likely to have problems with different voltages.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I couldn't find a picture of the one that I use, but the one below is close. The prongs swivel, it has outlets on all sides for maximum accessibility, and it's small enough to fit in the ziploc bag with all my other cables, so there's no added bulk (important since I travel with carry-on bags only):

Caveats:
  • The plugs aren't polarized (but none of my devices requires this).
  • It doesn't work as well with side-by-side outlets (you end up with only two extra outlets instead of three).
  • I'm pretty sure I picked it up when I was in Japan, so it might not be readily available in the U.S.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
a) Monster outlets to go

Whilst it doesn't convert the voltage, the Monster to Go line does handle 220 volts. They don't state this on their website, but they have confirmed it in email - see the reviews on Amazon where people mention this. I have one, and have had no problems with it in Europe and Australia.

Originally Posted by boltjames
[IMG]I've used this Belkin for the past three years in Asia and Europe and its great. Three power sockets plus two USB ports.
I had one of these. Fried itself the first time I plugged it into a UK power socket. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I wouldn't use one on >110 volts again...
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Oh man. Mikew99, I'll add you to my will if you can find me one just like this. If you find one with foldable prongs, I'll also coerce my wife to add you to hers.

Any keywords I can google around for? Oh and given I plan to plug in my MBP and Skiva to this, does polarization matter?

BJ,OverThereTooMuch,docbert - thanks for your replies too. It seems what I really need is a simple tiny extender that does nothing fancy than just split one outlet into 3. It also seems that the more complex adapters/extenders seem to potentially have issues with 220V - while some say they work, others say they've had the opposite experience, which concerns me

I'm sorry for asking this over and over again, but understanding the entire domain of electricity has always been my weak point. So bottom line:

1. given that all my devices I plan to plug in by themselves accept 110-220V there is no reason for me to use an extender that tries to do any voltage adaptation. Especially since its not 100% clear with any of these more advanced adapters whether they really take 110-220V except for anecdotal evidence, possibly with the exception of the monster adapter, there is no need for me to take this risk? Also since size is a big concern for me, if a little thing serves my need, I don't want to get a bigger one

2. It seems the advantage that these more complex devices give is surge protection. But given that point 1. may just cause the device to overheat or go bust, not sure if its worth it

3. In general, the opinion seems to be the gizmos that also have USB charging are more prone to going bad in 220V, so avoid that to be sure

Did I get this right?

thanks

Originally Posted by mikew99
I couldn't find a picture of the one that I use, but the one below is close. The prongs swivel, it has outlets on all sides for maximum accessibility, and it's small enough to fit in the ziploc bag with all my other cables, so there's no added bulk (important since I travel with carry-on bags only):

Caveats:
  • The plugs aren't polarized (but none of my devices requires this).
  • It doesn't work as well with side-by-side outlets (you end up with only two extra outlets instead of three).
  • I'm pretty sure I picked it up when I was in Japan, so it might not be readily available in the U.S.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Oh man. Mikew99, I'll add you to my will if you can find me one just like this. If you find one with foldable prongs, I'll also coerce my wife to add you to hers.

Any keywords I can google around for? Oh and given I plan to plug in my MBP and Skiva to this, does polarization matter?
Gee, I wish I had picked up a few more on my last visit to Tokyo; I could have financed the entire trip (and then some).

I took a closer look at the markings on my adapter, and I found some exact matches to the part number (WH2123) on Rakuten/buy.com's Japanese site (it's called a "snap tap"): global.rakuten.com/en/search?k=snap+tap

What's frustrating is that this item is widely available for less than US$3 in Japan, but at the above site, international shipping starts at US$12! Perhaps somebody visiting Japan can stop by Yodobashi Camera and pick up a few for fellow FTers?

I'm not an electronics expert, but none of the electronic gizmos I travel with have polarized plugs, so I guess that for these specific items, it does not matter. For my laptop, I use an iGo universal AC adapter, which also lacks polarized plugs.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Ahh sweet. Its only 2.5w x 1.7h x 0.56d inches! Now it looks like the prongs rotate, but don't fold in, correct? Even so, at such a small size, I can live with it.

Yes, I wonder if there is a fellow FTer in Japan right now who plans to fly back to the US soon If not, I'm just going to buy 3-4 of them in a few days. Japan is unfortunately not a usual travel destination for me.

Thanks mikew99!

Gee, I wish I had picked up a few more on my last visit to Tokyo; I could have financed the entire trip (and then some).

I took a closer look at the markings on my adapter, and I found some exact matches to the part number (WH2123) on Rakuten/buy.com's Japanese site (it's called a "snap tap"): global.rakuten.com/en/search?k=snap+tap

What's frustrating is that this item is widely available for less than US$3 in Japan, but at the above site, international shipping starts at US$12! Perhaps somebody visiting Japan can stop by Yodobashi Camera and pick up a few for fellow FTers?

I'm not an electronics expert, but none of the electronic gizmos I travel with have polarized plugs, so I guess that for these specific items, it does not matter. For my laptop, I use an iGo universal AC adapter, which also lacks polarized plugs.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I recently picked up one something very similar to this one at Osh (hardware chain in California). Mine is a generic brand one rather than GE and probably a little bit smaller than the GE one, but not by much.

I also have one of these that I picked up in Singapore for a few dollars. It has the advantage that the sockets all accept US + Europe + a few other plugs, which can be useful if you've had to unplug something to plug it in. The only catch is that it's non-earthed - despite the middle socket having an earth socket it connects to nothing, and the US-socket on the back is only 2 prong.

Normally I travel with the Toshino (second one above) plus a Monster-To-Go 3, but I'll probably change that now I've got the new block one...
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Hmmm, so this is what my schematic looks like, then. Can I reduce anything further? I'm looking to downsize as much as possible. My second lightning cable will be a 4 inch one from amazon basics - I don't have a problem keeping my iPad mini close to the skiva. The phone, I need a regular cable. I guess what's churning in my mind is does it make sense to take the Skiva + a small power splitter, or is there a device, not larger than the Skiva that can offer both functions.

Last edited by arjunrc; Mar 17, 2014 at 5:57 am
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:43 am

Ahh sweet. Its only 2.5w x 1.7h x 0.56d inches! Now it looks like the prongs rotate, but don't fold in, correct? Even so, at such a small size, I can live with it.
Yes, just to confirm, the prongs rotate but don't fold inward; they will always stick outward in one direction.

Coupled with the universal travel adapter (which I see that you also have), you have the smallest combo I've seen that will give 2-3 outlets of power in nearly any country in the world. Let me know if you find something even better!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by boltjames

I've used this Belkin for the past three years in Asia and Europe and its great. Three power sockets plus two USB ports. Best thing about it is that the plug portion rotates 360 degrees with click-stops so that it can fit in any orientation.

BJ
^^^
I use both at home and on the road - but they are slightly on the bulky side and USB not enough Amps for iPad
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Well I just ordered 5 of this product. They told me I will be contacted separately to tell me about shipping costs, so I've readied my line of credit on my mortgage for it. Why 5? Heck, I'm going to be spending around 15 bucks (my guess) anyway, so I may as well order 5.

Now any FT members want one for only $50? I'm going to personally sign them....

Yes, just to confirm, the prongs rotate but don't fold inward; they will always stick outward in one direction.

Coupled with the universal travel adapter (which I see that you also have), you have the smallest combo I've seen that will give 2-3 outlets of power in nearly any country in the world. Let me know if you find something even better!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.