FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm looking for the smallest plug point extender
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:51 pm
arjunrc

Oh man. Mikew99, I'll add you to my will if you can find me one just like this. If you find one with foldable prongs, I'll also coerce my wife to add you to hers.

Any keywords I can google around for? Oh and given I plan to plug in my MBP and Skiva to this, does polarization matter?

BJ,OverThereTooMuch,docbert - thanks for your replies too. It seems what I really need is a simple tiny extender that does nothing fancy than just split one outlet into 3. It also seems that the more complex adapters/extenders seem to potentially have issues with 220V - while some say they work, others say they've had the opposite experience, which concerns me

I'm sorry for asking this over and over again, but understanding the entire domain of electricity has always been my weak point. So bottom line:

1. given that all my devices I plan to plug in by themselves accept 110-220V there is no reason for me to use an extender that tries to do any voltage adaptation. Especially since its not 100% clear with any of these more advanced adapters whether they really take 110-220V except for anecdotal evidence, possibly with the exception of the monster adapter, there is no need for me to take this risk? Also since size is a big concern for me, if a little thing serves my need, I don't want to get a bigger one

2. It seems the advantage that these more complex devices give is surge protection. But given that point 1. may just cause the device to overheat or go bust, not sure if its worth it

3. In general, the opinion seems to be the gizmos that also have USB charging are more prone to going bad in 220V, so avoid that to be sure

Did I get this right?

thanks

Originally Posted by mikew99
I couldn't find a picture of the one that I use, but the one below is close. The prongs swivel, it has outlets on all sides for maximum accessibility, and it's small enough to fit in the ziploc bag with all my other cables, so there's no added bulk (important since I travel with carry-on bags only):

Caveats:
  • The plugs aren't polarized (but none of my devices requires this).
  • It doesn't work as well with side-by-side outlets (you end up with only two extra outlets instead of three).
  • I'm pretty sure I picked it up when I was in Japan, so it might not be readily available in the U.S.