Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Insurance

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't find a section that seemed fitting.

I'm trying to book a trip for next year, going out in January and returning in May. The trip will cost somewhere between $600 and $900, depending on what dates I choose. Is there any insurance provider that will let me just buy insurance for trip cancellation for any reason? Everything I've seen is a package with a bunch of junk that I don't want. I have sufficient medical insurance, my checked suitcases are worth more than the clothes in them, and delays are not a concern. All the insurance packages I've seen are $400ish and up. At that point, I might as well just gamble on the extra $200 I might lose. The only concern is that I might not need to make the trip, and I'd like to be covered in case that happens. Any tips?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I believe you will be well-served by my moving your thread to the Travel Products Forum.
All best wishes...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I debated a while on whether I should put it here, but decided (wrongly, I guess) on the other forum.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:56 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

For most airlines, if you decide not to take the trip, you can ask the airline to refund your ticket price (less a processing fee) in the form of a voucher which will be valid on that airline for a year. No insurance is necessary for this.

In terms of hotels, most of them let you cancel 24 hours in advance without penalty.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i am surprised that you have sufficient medical insurance. very few policies provide medical evaucation, among other things for example. for a two week trip, allianz on UA provides for a couple for $28 or $38(forgot which) from europe and back to usa. no questions about pre existing, or age.

your question indicates cancellation without cause. i don't think so.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You don't provide any details, so you won't get any useful information:

1. Where do you live / originate, where are you going? Is this just airfare? Are there hotels with penalties? Cruise? Other parts of a package?

2. When you say you have adequate medical insurance, does it cover airlift back home or to a specified location (if you are overseas).

3. What about trip interruption? What if you are sick and can't fly for a week? Who pays for hotel & meals? What if there is bad weather and you can't fly for 3 days?

4. What coverage do you have now under your CC, homeowners, perhaps employer?

Unofrtunately, details matter.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:33 am

I frequently have to take out trip cancellation insurance for my business because i have to buy tickets in advance and my clients might cancel the job. You can go to insuremytrip.com and look for cancellation "for any reason" policies. I rcently paid $225 for a $4500 policy. I always get the emdical insurance because foreign hospitals don't always accept my US insurance for 100% of costs. Also i go to third world placesthat i might need to be evacuated from.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
For most airlines, if you decide not to take the trip, you can ask the airline to refund your ticket price (less a processing fee) in the form of a voucher which will be valid on that airline for a year. No insurance is necessary for this.

In terms of hotels, most of them let you cancel 24 hours in advance without penalty.
Yeah, I was just trying to find something lower than that service fee, is all. It doesn't look like there's anything out there that would cover what I need at a low price, though.

Originally Posted by slawecki
i am surprised that you have sufficient medical insurance. very few policies provide medical evaucation, among other things for example. for a two week trip, allianz on UA provides for a couple for $28 or $38(forgot which) from europe and back to usa. no questions about pre existing, or age.

your question indicates cancellation without cause. i don't think so.
My travel is due to my school being overseas, and I pay the school for a plan that includes evacuation. You're right that my normal medical plan probably would not cover that.

Originally Posted by Often1
You don't provide any details, so you won't get any useful information:

1. Where do you live / originate, where are you going? Is this just airfare? Are there hotels with penalties? Cruise? Other parts of a package?

2. When you say you have adequate medical insurance, does it cover airlift back home or to a specified location (if you are overseas).

3. What about trip interruption? What if you are sick and can't fly for a week? Who pays for hotel & meals? What if there is bad weather and you can't fly for 3 days?

4. What coverage do you have now under your CC, homeowners, perhaps employer?

Unofrtunately, details matter.
1. Live in the U.S., going to a Caribbean island. Just airfare, no hotels, etc.

2. See above.

3. I assume that risk myself. No hotels to worry about there, so minimal cost other than rescheduling the flight.

4. No coverage under any of that (though maybe my AmEx carries some...I'll have to check into it).

Originally Posted by uppereastff
I frequently have to take out trip cancellation insurance for my business because i have to buy tickets in advance and my clients might cancel the job. You can go to insuremytrip.com and look for cancellation "for any reason" policies. I rcently paid $225 for a $4500 policy. I always get the emdical insurance because foreign hospitals don't always accept my US insurance for 100% of costs. Also i go to third world placesthat i might need to be evacuated from.
Thanks, I'll look into that website.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
If you are willing to assume the risk for en route delays (or flying direct), I'd not bother with extra insurance and just absorb the airline fee if you must reschedule.

Other than that, wait until you get acceptance letter before booking your flight (I'm assuming this is the reason for possibly not needing the trip). Cost typically won't increase that much until the next term students start booking.

SGU? If so, then the flight frequency tends to increase as bookings solidify. Last term went from 4 flights a week on AA to daily flights from both MIA and SJU during the week students return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.