Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

International carryons: Which Tumi vs B&R? (Or do I even need one?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International carryons: Which Tumi vs B&R? (Or do I even need one?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:58 pm

The original Salsa Air includes the side handle and backing plate, and the small black feet.

The Salsa Ultralight is missing those items. It is hard to believe perhaps, that the absence of those items reduces the weight that much, but there you have it.

The features that I do like on this case is the slick surface ( easy to load in and out of overheads ), the light mesh divisions with the zippers ( easier to open than our other case framed mesh dividers ), and the multi-rollers. And as mentioned before, the side handle.

On my recent LH flights, the Salsa Air case handled business papers, an Asus eee Transformer tablet, and personal items for 4 days easily. If I had my way, I would revert back to the pull handle with two-poles, rather than the weightsaving single. Perhaps Rimowa has considered that for the future to replace the Deluxe someday.

I think you will enjoy either choice, Jacki.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swissaire
The original Salsa Air includes the side handle and backing plate, and the small black feet.

The Salsa Ultralight is missing those items. It is hard to believe perhaps, that the absence of those items reduces the weight that much, but there you have it.
And it's those two units that I am trying to decide between - B&R and Tumi are out of the picture. I just need to decide if I'm getting the Salsa Air Ultralight or the original Salsa Air. The ultralight seems to be everywhere - I don't know if I can find the regular Air anymore (in Navy as a first choice). I can go locally and get the Ultralight at a good price. I can see the value in the side handle when manhandling the unit, but do I want to give up a pound?

It's been suggested that the plastic on the ultralight is also slightly thinner. That's where the pound came from. I have no way to know if it's true.

I need to make up my mind soon. I'm going to get one or the other for this trip to Paris - I just need to decide which. Max weight saving, or some nice extra features? Decisions, decisions...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JakiChan
It's been suggested that the plastic on the ultralight is also slightly thinner. That's where the pound came from. I have no way to know if it's true.
Going back over old threads - it was you Swissaire who said that. My bad.

Gotta decide in the next day or two. But factors may have made my mind up for me - it seems like in most places the ultralight has replaced the regular Salsa Air in most outlets. So the ultralight may be the only one I can get....
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:02 pm

I think thin wall or thin mil polycarbonate may have a slight advantage in reducing weight for carry-on cases.

Yes, there were comments made at one of the Rimowa stores, but nothing really I could notice in touch or pulling on the two cases. The backing plate prevents any handle from bending the polycarbonate. It would not present a problem for carry-on, but it might for checked luggage.

Jacki, I just picked up a snap-on keyboard for the Asus Tablet, which in effect make the tablet a laptop, although a thin one. That and other items to consider packing would add more weight to my carry-on than worrying about the case wall mil thickness.

If I were you I would purchase your choice of Salsa cases, and start packing trials. See what works, and what you can do without to curb weight, or put into your checked luggage.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If you're planning on flying Ryanair, bear in mind its size limits are a bit smaller than other airlines, in particular the depth which is limited to 20cm.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

If I were you I would purchase your choice of Salsa cases, and start packing trials. See what works, and what you can do without to curb weight, or put into your checked luggage.
I know I want one of the Salsa Air IATA cases...I just can't decide which! You made such a compelling argument that I now can't decide...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:20 am

Hallo Jacki !

Looking at the date this morning, it appears a bit late to purchase your luggage by mail. Your flight deadline of 29.04.2012 is very close.

I am not sure where you reside, but if there is a Rimowa store near you, I think it time to go try the selections, and make your decision.

Stifle, thank you again for the Ryanair 20 cm case information. I now add it thusly, to the many reasons to avoid that dodgy carrier at all costs.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Looking at the date this morning, it appears a bit late to purchase your luggage by mail. Your flight deadline of 29.04.2012 is very close.
There are some places I can order and still get it in time - Zappos, etc. However, it seems at most places the Ultralight has replaced the regular Salsa Air. So they may have made my choice there. I have not found a place in the SF Bay Area where I could see the non-ultralight Salsa Air in person. They all have the ultralight.

I'm sure I'll be happy with it, but I really would have liked to see and touch both side by side.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:06 pm

Meet you half way.

Click on Photo Gallery, and go to the second page. You can take a look at my photos comparing the two, at least.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:34 am

Carry On luggage

We would highly reccomend a Tumi suitcase, they look smart & they are hard-wearing. The after sales service is also excellent, in case you encounter any problems.
If you are travelling Ryanair, you may wish to consider one of these pieces:
http://www.caseluggage.com/l1-luggag...-carry-on.html
Old Apr 22, 2012, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

I ended up getting the ultralight Rimowa. Will try it out next weekend on AF. Can't wait! Thanks, especially to Swissaire!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.