Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

International carryons: Which Tumi vs B&R? (Or do I even need one?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International carryons: Which Tumi vs B&R? (Or do I even need one?)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:22 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by ninjastyle
For some reason, Lufthansa has insisted on weighing my bag whenever I use a rollaboard. But when I use a carry-on with no wheels, I've never had an agent ask to weigh it.
This seems a common experience. I didn't have a problem with NEK LH during the summer, while carrying my Air Boss and Gator. I saw them weigh plenty of rollers, however.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:22 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Tumi Alpha 22922 Frequent Traveller two-wheeler (external height of 24") as a carry-on piece? Are there any problems with trying to fit the bag lengthwise into the overhead bins of widebody aircrafts with the wheels facing out?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by deirdre
FYI, I have three different sizes of carryons. I have the 15" Lipault as my small one, a Tumi Vapor International Carryon as my primary, and a Samsonite X-Space spinner (the 17" ostensibly) as my medium-sized one.

Which one of these I take depends on what kind of trip I'm taking. For my one-weekend trip to LA, I took the Tumi as my sole bag. For my trip to Europe, I took the Samsonite for the regional jets, and checked my primary bag (a larger Tumi Vapor), and if I'm on really limited planes or have really limited weight, I carry the Lipault (which I otherwise put in my checked bag as an "oops, I overbought" option for the trip home).
Do you ever check your soft side Lapault?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:01 pm

In one word.....Rimowa.

We have thrown out 2 large Tumi bags and I do not travel much anymore.

My wife travels extensively and has 3 different size Rimowa. Very light and can take a beating. Oh.......my luggage is B&R
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I purchased the Tumi 20" international carry on when I was in your situation. I had been using a B&R 21" for several years. My main justification for the Tumi was that it has a suit folder. I also find that it is thinner by about an inch and that makes it easier to get in many overhead bins where the B&R was a bit on the thick side. Still, when they try to apply the 20lb, 7.7kg limit, they force me to check the Tumi---but, I do get away with it most of the time. I just purchased a Patagonia MLC non-wheeled suitcase that weighs about 2.5 lbs---because on most of my trips the wheeled suitcase weighs nearly as much as everything that is in my suitcase--almost all of the time, my MLC should weigh less than 15 or 20lbs, even for a full week.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
For Lufthansa should I be concerned about the thickness of the bag? I am looking at some 19"rollers that are 9" thick which is a bit over what is allowed.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA ExP
It's been awhile since I was on Lufthansa (2 years ago in transatlantic business) and they didn't stop too many people (just bags that looked big) I saw a couple of expanded bags go through. I think this was before they added the 7kg carry on weight limit.

I've flown Swiss on transatlantic business (2x in last 6 mo) and at check-in they weigh your big carry on (8 kg limit) at SFO. No sizer and almost everyone checked so I haven't seen anyone skirting the limit.

The first trip I took my B&R U420x and only packed 3 kg of clothes in it. After check-in I moved some heavy stuff from my messenger to the B&R. The second trip I switched to a Tom Bihn Tristar (which they still weighed).

Note that I've NEVER been questioned on my messenger (it's ~38" linear) even though it's often heavier than my "carry on" bag (too much technology).

A few other trips around europe the budget airlines were only checking sizing for bags that looked oversize, if they had weight limits they were weighting most bags.

The trend is more definitely towards weight limits for carry-ons. So I wouldn't worry too much about size (as long as it's close) but with many (if not most) international carriers having 6-12 Kg limits you may want to get a larger briefcase/laptop bag or a non-wheeler.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by ellinj
For Lufthansa should I be concerned about the thickness of the bag? I am looking at some 19"rollers that are 9" thick which is a bit over what is allowed.
Yes, but why on earth would you try to carry on a roller that probably weighs 4-5kg when your carry-on limit is 8kg?

Last edited by deirdre; Apr 11, 2012 at 12:47 am
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
For me the choiceis simple: Briggs/Riley have lifetime warranty Tumi doesn't. So it's Briggs/Riley.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:25 am

JackiChan;

I think it will really come down to when your departure date is, and your airline.

Rimowa manufactures a line of luggage for Lufthansa, and I was tipped by LH recently that it would be better not to use, or purchase any of the older or larger cases as checked baggage. Thus, they do not automatically favour any brand or marque of luggage, even carry-on with the LH insignia. The direct point being that those in the older, larger sizes may incur excess baggage fees.

As one can read in the posts above, carry-on weight limits are not uniform, and also may depend on the " temperament " of the duty airline GA at the departure time.

As you know your itinerary, I would think it wise to check with your chosen airline, or airlines, just ahead of the departure date.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Swissaire
As one can read in the posts above, carry-on weight limits are not uniform, and also may depend on the " temperament " of the duty airline GA at the departure time.
They are uniform for LH, though. One piece 8kg in economy; 2pcs 8kg in business or first.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:52 pm

Perhaps for clarity I should have stated " not uniformly enforced or verified. "

Two quotes from this thread that would attest to that fact:

´ For some reason, Lufthansa has insisted on weighing my bag whenever I use a rollaboard. But when I use a carry-on with no wheels, I've never had an agent ask to weigh it. “

And,

“Note that I've NEVER been questioned on my messenger (it's ~38" linear) even though it's often heavier than my "carry on" bag (too much technology). ”

From my own recent flights on LH, there was no attempt to weigh my business-class carry-on. I use Rimowa carry-on, and it was briefly looked at: A quick glance, really.

I do note that years ago on a LH transatlantic flight, described as "full," my LH-branded Rimowa attache, containing my laptop was requested to be checked at the counter. Not really pleased about that at the time, but it did arrive intact and without dents, to the credit of LH. Subsequently, I have only flown Business on LH, and that type of request has not been repeated.

However, my point on lack of uniformity is in reference to all airlines, not just LH. One enforces, while others do not, here and in North America.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Swissaire
Perhaps for clarity I should have stated " not uniformly enforced or verified. "
Fair enough, but I am someone who travels with things I wouldn't trust to be checked, including a laptop (which I'd have taken out and let them check the empty suitcase).

It never matters until it matters, and that's why I am always sure to meet the letter of the requirements so I'm not disappointed.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by ninjastyle
For some reason, Lufthansa has insisted on weighing my bag whenever I use a rollaboard. But when I use a carry-on with no wheels, I've never had an agent ask to weigh it.
This is interesting, I fly at least once a month, often twice, to MUC, from BOS (always LH), and to date have never had my bags weighed. I carry a rollaboard (20") and a briefcase. Interestingly, they have never asked for me to measure/size them either. I do travel business, but still, I find it weird considering its an expendable briefcase, and I am pretty sure I am always over the 16kg allowed for the two pieces.

I guess now that I have disclosed this information, my bags will be weighed on my next trip.

Last edited by Shaam; Apr 11, 2012 at 9:09 pm
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Departure date is 4/29 on Air France. I'm leaning towards the Rimowa, I just can't decide if I want the "ultralight" 4.2lb version or the slightly heavier version.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.