Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

International carryons: Which Tumi vs B&R? (Or do I even need one?)

Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

I've got a nice 21" B&R expandable carryon that I've been using for at least 10 years now. Still in great shape. (I also have a 24" or 26" version that I check and their deluxe travel tote.) I've been very happy with their quality - but I haven't bought any luggage in 10 years.

I'm getting ready to do some more international travel, and since my understanding is that the international airlines are more strict on carryon sizing I'm wondering if I should get something smaller/lighter to use? And if so I'm looking for recommendations. The recent thread on TravelPro vs B&R vs Tumi has got me thinking, since I do have a Tumi Alpha briefcase that I like. So while I love the B&R warranty, if I feel like spending the extra cash I might go for Tumi. (And if I really like it I might use it for domestic travels.)

B&R has an 18" model in the Baseline collection - but Tumi has quite a few "international" rollers in their Alpha line. I'm wondering two things:

1) Which one is the best apples to apples comparison vs the B&R Baseline 18"?
2) Is one of their compact ones better to get if I'm going to be doing travel to/from/in Europe? Based on what I've heard my main concerns would be weight and then size. I'm looking for a bag that I would be VERY unlikely to have to check. I don't think I'm looking at too many regional jets - just the usual international flights.

I've had trouble before - I love it when a bag that you took on the flight TO Europe is a problem on the way back...

ETA: For the money I would be spending on the Tumi I guess I could get a Salsa Air Ultralight...but size wise it does worry me. It looks like Lufthansa would make me check it, for example. That's why I was looking at the "18" class in the first place.

Last edited by JakiChan; Jan 23, 2012 at 10:18 pm
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Between the two manufacturers, I would pick B&R. My wife has used a 20" roller without problem so far, but there's no denying that 18" would be safer. Good luck.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Lufthansa has a 7kg carryon limit, so almost any roller bag is right out.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deirdre
Are they the worst? I have no immediate plans to travel on them - even a 5kg bag would only give me 2kg worth of stuff. Not much.

I might be able to eliminate them and assume I'll have to check things if I travel on them. But if I eliminate them is it still worth it to go with a bag smaller than a 21" roll-aboard? (I need to check the weight of that bag, for sure.)

I guess I'm still trying to work out what a good size for an "international" carryon is that's still reasonable. For a long-ish trip a carryon needs to hold 1 to 2 days worth of things plus the various things I'm not willing to check (like electric shavers, other electronic bits, etc.).

I have to say I find it frustrating that on the one hand they're trying to force us more and more to check things and on the other hand they can't seem to keep our checked bags safe from theft. I that seems like they're trying to have it both ways....
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by JakiChan
Are they the worst? I have no immediate plans to travel on them - even a 5kg bag would only give me 2kg worth of stuff. Not much.

I might be able to eliminate them and assume I'll have to check things if I travel on them. But if I eliminate them is it still worth it to go with a bag smaller than a 21" roll-aboard? (I need to check the weight of that bag, for sure.)
Depends on how much you want to travel, you know, internationally. Many carriers have limits as strict (or, in some cases, stricter) as Lufthansa.

There are quite a few bags that are under 1kg, but they don't have wheels. This is a sister bag to one I own, weighs right around 1kg.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:25 am
Original Poster

There are quite a few bags that are under 1kg, but they don't have wheels. This is a sister bag to one I own, weighs right around 1kg.
But that bag is also a rather small tote. I've got one of similar size already (see above). It won't do what I want. I can't take 2 days worth of clothes, toiletries, plus things the airport "staff" would steal out of checked bagage, in a bag that size.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:37 am

Hmm, the link goes to the 15" size, but I meant the 19" size. Frankly, that's as big as many 20-21" wheeled totes in interior volume.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Hmm, the link goes to the 15" size, but I meant the 19" size. Frankly, that's as big as many 20-21" wheeled totes in interior volume.
I might consider that, of course it's going to be very unwieldily and not at all easy to carry. Time for more curls, I guess. That's the price we pay for sticky-fingered airport "staff" and money-losing airlines...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:38 am

FYI, I have three different sizes of carryons. I have the 15" Lipault as my small one, a Tumi Vapor International Carryon as my primary, and a Samsonite X-Space spinner (the 17" ostensibly) as my medium-sized one.

Which one of these I take depends on what kind of trip I'm taking. For my one-weekend trip to LA, I took the Tumi as my sole bag. For my trip to Europe, I took the Samsonite for the regional jets, and checked my primary bag (a larger Tumi Vapor), and if I'm on really limited planes or have really limited weight, I carry the Lipault (which I otherwise put in my checked bag as an "oops, I overbought" option for the trip home).
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
If you don't need wheels look at Redox or Tom Bihn bags. They conform to all
international standards. Both bags are well made and are made here in America.
There are plenty of threads on these bags. I have the Tom Bihn bags and I am quite satisfied. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by JakiChan

I guess I'm still trying to work out what a good size for an "international" carryon is that's still reasonable. For a long-ish trip a carryon needs to hold 1 to 2 days worth of things plus the various things I'm not willing to check (like electric shavers, other electronic bits, etc.).

I have to say I find it frustrating that on the one hand they're trying to force us more and more to check things and on the other hand they can't seem to keep our checked bags safe from theft. I that seems like they're trying to have it both ways....
B&R gear - especially Baseline, would give you huge problems if weighed by LH. They are almost 5kg on their own.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have always wanted a Tumi bag (remnants of mentor envy from my first job, many years back). Last year, I was shopping for a new rolling carry-on to use on some international trips I had planned. I shopped Tumi, came close to getting a B&R bag, looked at some other brands I've forgotten by now - but weight concerns pushed me to buy Eagle Creek in the end. I know it's a more casual brand but that's fine for me. I've used it on Alitalia & Air France, though not Lufthansa. Mainly I bought it for Asia travel - and I got a pretty good deal at the time, so I'm happy with it. (I still love Tumi and B&R - have other B&R bags, and someday I'll find a Tumi to take home^ Just not for this purpose....)
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Another bag to consider is the B&R19 inch BRX. There are several threads here about that line. Same warranty but a lot lighter than Baseline bags. I have that and the 18 inch baseline. Both are great.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:27 pm

For some reason, Lufthansa has insisted on weighing my bag whenever I use a rollaboard. But when I use a carry-on with no wheels, I've never had an agent ask to weigh it.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by ninjastyle
For some reason, Lufthansa has insisted on weighing my bag whenever I use a rollaboard. But when I use a carry-on with no wheels, I've never had an agent ask to weigh it.
Oh, I understand that -- a rollaboard is almost a gimme for it being overweight.

I've even had my Lipault be overweight, though. Got nailed in MEL for that. Gave the overage to my husband, they never weighed his luggage. Harumph.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.