Reload this Page >

Help a long-sleeved business traveller?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help a long-sleeved business traveller?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by MaecDavidMiller
Try Brooks Brothers. I live out of their no-iron white broadcloth french cuff shirts when traveling without a wrinkle. I don't know how their sizing runs, although they do actual collar/sleeve lengths (not "X, XXL", etc). If they don't have your size on their web site, try calling their catalogue sales or a store (I think they have stores in at least Toronto since 2009).
+1. I love the Traveler Collection french cuff shirts. As an added bonus, the darker colored shirts are quite comfortable in hot weather when worn without an undershirt.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Jos. A. Bank shirts in the Traveler line. Wash any way whatsoever and hang up to dry - always perfect. They have 17.5/37 in the Tall selection and they ship anywhere. Right now shirts are on sale at 50%, so about $47 CAD. www.josbank.com
Agreed. While I haven't washed them in a hotel sink, I have washed them at home and hung them up to dry. I've also hung them straight from the suitcase in a steamy bathroom for a few minutes and they looked perfect.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:52 pm

Depending what you are willing to spend, you could have some great made to measure shirts done. A friend of mine does this for his living, you send him your measurements and he has a shirt maker in Hong Kong. Shirts range from 79-99 - To me, that is cheap. If you are looking at Brooks Brothers, you'll easily spend that, why not get a custom shirt? You can have the left arm a hair longer for watch, etc. It is great.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by _ABB_
Depending what you are willing to spend, you could have some great made to measure shirts done. A friend of mine does this for his living, you send him your measurements and he has a shirt maker in Hong Kong. Shirts range from 79-99 - To me, that is cheap. If you are looking at Brooks Brothers, you'll easily spend that, why not get a custom shirt? You can have the left arm a hair longer for watch, etc. It is great.
See the link in my earlier post to Maxwells. If you're paying $79 for custom, Egyptian cotton, monogrammed fully customized shirts, you're being robbed. Maxwells averages about $25 lower than that... Like I said earlier, I have a closet full of them. (Unfortunately, 'custom' is not the same as "fantastic traveling shirt.")
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Boogie711
See the link in my earlier post to Maxwells. If you're paying $79 for custom, Egyptian cotton, monogrammed fully customized shirts, you're being robbed. Maxwells averages about $25 lower than that... Like I said earlier, I have a closet full of them. (Unfortunately, 'custom' is not the same as "fantastic traveling shirt.")
Sorry, should have elaborated a bit more. I happen to really like the orvis shirts and they are a fantastic traveling shirt: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1P20 I've had a few of these for several years and they continue to look new. If you are a ready to wear size (which it doesn't sound like you are), i'd buy these.

Yes, many people get burned by purchasing "custom" Egyptian cotton shirts, but it sounds like you know better. A good tailor is worth his weight in gold. I happen to like my custom shirts for their durability, fabric, and customization ability.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Boogie711
The recommendations on Brooks brothers sound fantastic - and I can handle ironing once every 2-3 times. I'll check that out. Are all their "no iron" shirts like that? I saw the recommendation for Broadloom white, but I'm personally more a navy/light blue guy.

Now I just need to find an easy way to not forget to bring cufflinks.
Thanks for the Maxwell tip.

BB has shirts in light blue always. I know because I have bought several of them over the years. Now a dark navy blue, I have never seen. But that doesn't really jive with most business suits anyway.

As for the cuff links, you can attach them to the cuffs already when packing.

Or throw them in the toiletry hardware pouch.

Till
Old Jul 8, 2011, 6:05 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
This was what I was going to post.... get on their email list... they run some great sales.... just had their Traveler line on sale two weeks ago for $19.95 each... I stocked up....

They travel very well... thus the name I guess.

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Jos. A. Bank shirts in the Traveler line. Wash any way whatsoever and hang up to dry - always perfect. They have 17.5/37 in the Tall selection and they ship anywhere. Right now shirts are on sale at 50%, so about $47 CAD. www.josbank.com
Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Arrow No Iron

Originally Posted by tfar
...Attention: They will still need a little TLC. That means about every three washes you should iron them. The non-iron effect is only good for so long. I mean after washing them three times they will need a little freshen-up. After that they are good to go for another three times. Also, don't use starch on non-iron shirts. It will destroy the effect because with starch the fiber cannot quell and that's what it needs to do for wrinkles to disappear....Till
I completely agree with the 'no starch' rule. However, I don't ever iron mine. Some are five years old, and I find that even though they appear winkled in the drawer, the shirts appear wrinkle-free within a minute or two after I put them on.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
I second the Brooks Brother shirts. A Wall St. friend of mine told me that they were very popular in his firm and its the only shirt he wears. I am now hooked on them.

They last long. And compared to other brands wrinkle free shirts, don't look synthetic. They look like crisp pressed cotton shirts every time.

I find that as long as you fold them flat they always unpack well. Short of balling them up with a rubbed band, they will always look good out of luggage.

Be aware that the classic fit is cut huge around the waist. Even the slim fits I find too baggy and I'm no stick.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:54 pm

Five years without ironing is impressive. Five years alone is impressive for a shirt that gets worn regularly.

What you say about the slightly crumply texture falling out within minutes is true. It's the humidity from your body that does that. Helps if you DON'T wear an undershirt. But I like to give them a good ironing every 2-3 washings anyway. This way the collar and cuffs fall nicely and the button placket is smooth. Even pressed creases in sleeves will stay in for the washings.

Also +1 on the very "American" barrel-waisted fit. I'm a slimmer guy and this is my only contention. The slim fit is quite alright for me though still not really slim. Unfortunately, in the outlet where I usually buy them, the slim fit is rare. This is Texas, after all.

Till
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Thumbs up Shirt creases are STILL there

Originally Posted by tfar
...Even pressed creases in sleeves will stay in for the washings.
After 5 years (and never ironed; probably washed 50-100x) the shirt creases are still there, like a knife!
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.