Should I switch to a leather duffel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I switch to a leather duffel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Maybe a large duffel but I have flown LH with a small (18 inch) roller with no problem. Also I doubt a carry on size duffel will be a problem.
An 18" roller is basically useless.

Some European carriers have ridiculous cabin luggage-policies. I was a FF on Lufthansa for many years and got so annoyed with their air-nazi attitude that I now use them only if there is no other option. They allow 17 lbs. and only luggage that's less than 22" long, 15" wide and x 8" high.

What luggage is less than 8" high and weights less than 17 lbs? An empty roll board weights 12 lbs., so if you put a laptop in it's already overweight by their standards. I have argued with these people for years, it is pointless. I am only afraid that a big duffle will draw even more attention.[/QUOTE]

What roller do you have that weighs 12 pounds?

Wow. I looked at LL Bean and didn't see that. Given the price and their general quality and customer satisfaction stance that seems like a great deal to me. Thanks.
That's a good looking bag. I should take a closer look.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: *G
here are some pics to show the dimensions of the l.l.bag (strap not attached)
http://imgur.com/a/b8VZH

items for scale are: 22" kirkland roller (extended), 13" laptop, 6" kindle, US10 size shoe

there is 1 small internal pocket. would be nicer if there were more...and/or a side or front compartment

looks handsome but i might swap it for the cordovan color

edit: criticism: i wish the zipper ended to the sides so the duffel could "split" open

Last edited by deniah; Mar 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by N1120A
An 18" roller is basically useless.

Some European carriers have ridiculous cabin luggage-policies. I was a FF on Lufthansa for many years and got so annoyed with their air-nazi attitude that I now use them only if there is no other option. They allow 17 lbs. and only luggage that's less than 22" long, 15" wide and x 8" high.

What luggage is less than 8" high and weights less than 17 lbs? An empty roll board weights 12 lbs., so if you put a laptop in it's already overweight by their standards. I have argued with these people for years, it is pointless. I am only afraid that a big duffle will draw even more attention.

Opps. Who knew I have been using a "basically useless" bag for the last 12 years or whatever as my primary roller on the many occasions until recently when I used a roller. For years I did the roller/briefcase combo and almost always used the 18 inch.

Here is a thread from last year discussing packing for a round the world trip with stops in Shanghai and Florence where I took an 18 inch roller and a B&R expandable briefcase.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...g-me-trip.html

My concerns were precisely the ones you had about foreign carriers but was fine even on JAL and BA. That is exactly why 18 inch rollers are useful. And they are much less likely to be weighed.

On my other RTW last year which was shorter, I went even smaller and took a B&R rolling cabin bag and a briefcase or backpack. I dont normally travel with a suit but had a dinner at an US ambassadors home so needed to dress up. The suit was neatly folded in the rolling cabin bag but I did cheat and have it pressed at the hotel although I could have gotten away without it.

The 18 inch bags are great. They always fit a sizer. They need to be gate checked on RJs but go in long ways, wheels in on most other things. I was on a TATL flight last year, either UA or AA 777 and it had shallow bins over the sides of the planes. I put my 18 inch wheels first in one and an FA came by and told me to turn it sideways before other people took up the space because it wouldnt close. I told her it would close fine and she asked me to test it (I already had). I closed it no problem and she laughed and said she was surprised and went on her way. Being able to put the bag in longwise on virtually any plane is a huge advantage if space is tight. Plus of course, the 18 inch roller isnt as heavy if you have steps or something (like the concrete barriers at the Florence train station, which I actually yanked my B&R roller over and let it crash to the other side) to go over but will also let you attach a briefcase by a strap or on the handle.

The problem with statements like the one bolded above are that they are almost by definition wrong, since they are too broad. An 18 inch may not be useful in some contexts or for some uses, but it is surely useful in some as well. For instance if someone wants a roller for a short trip such as a day or two, the 18 is more than enough space. I use it for that as well as for longer trips.

In this case, I think it goes beyond that,. however, because I think the small roller, 18 or 19 inch, is actually the most flexible rolling bag. It holds a lot, will let you roll an additional bag and will fit almost anywhere. I have a B&R 22 inch as well. I probably use the 18 inch 10 times as much. I only use the 22 when I am carrying a lot of stuff and usually traveling with my wife and one of us takes each one of the bags.

I have recently gotten a B&R 19 inch BRX and it is great also. I am now using it a bit more than the 18 inch because the BRX is a lot lighter. If they had an 18 BRX I would have gotten that but the 19 inch is very nice. I specifically didnt get the 22 inch BRX, too big for me.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta GM, AF, (Lufthansa), Hilton
What roller do you have that weighs 12 pounds?
I was referring to the 22", I can't see an 18" being sufficient for extended trips with no luggage checked. Put my 22" Tumi (1994) on the bathroom scale 5 minutes ago. Scale says 10.6 lbs. So it's not quite 12 lbs. quits, but the scale might be 1/2 lb. off, too.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:29 pm

I know nothing about the dealer but this place has a big sale on Floto bags.

http://www.briefcase.com/Floto-Venez...le-p/fl-18.htm
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Walt-FL
I was referring to the 22", I can't see an 18" being sufficient for extended trips with no luggage checked. Put my 22" Tumi (1994) on the bathroom scale 5 minutes ago. Scale says 10.6 lbs. So it's not quite 12 lbs. quits, but the scale might be 1/2 lb. off, too.
Right. Still very heavy. My 22" was weighed by AC on Thursday, packed with clothes, and was 15 pounds.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:43 pm

I know nothing about the dealer but this place has a big sale on Floto bags.

http://www.briefcase.com/Floto-Venez...le-p/fl-18.htm
Right. Still very heavy. My 22" was weighed by AC on Thursday, packed with clothes, and was 15 pounds.
21 inch B&R Baseline expandables range from 9.7 to 11.4 pounds according to their web site. One example of a manufacturer. Their 19in BRX (their lightweight line) is 6.8 pounds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.