Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nicest Weekender/Holdall

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
GadgetFreak, do you every sit still? Yes, I hear you on the issue of electronics. My IPhone has made my life and my travels much more comfortable.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
GadgetFreak, do you every sit still? Yes, I hear you on the issue of electronics. My IPhone has made my life and my travels much more comfortable.
Not very much this month for better or worse. Currently posting from UA5 somewhere between JFK and SFO. I went to DC on the train with my B&R satchel on Wednesday and then back Thursday night on the US shuttle. I had clothes for one day, some documents, MB Air and a slightly stripped down set of electronics gear. It wasnt too heavy and I liked the satchel It was easy to carry and very compact and as someone above mentioned it is kind of nice not to look like everyone else. On the way back the satchel easily fit in the overhead (did on the Acela as well obviously) on the shuttle flight. I tried it under the seat as well but it was a bit wide. I probably could have made it go but didnt bother.

Even though todays trip is a mileage run I decided to do another test with the satchel. I packed as for a 1 day trip. I further minimized the electronics a bit but still have the MB Air. I weighed it going out this morning and it was 9 kg even, not bad at all. I had clothes for 1 day, partially for the test and partially if I misconnect and get stuck somewhere. I would like to further cut the electronics a bit. My goal is 2-3 days clothes with an 8-9kg weight. I will be a happy camper with that. The bag fit easily into the overhead (UA PS service in business) and looked like it would fit under the seat although the underseat storage is weird in business on these flights anyway. The legs and electronics systems of the seats in front take a big piece out of the available space. I am in first on an RJ next, SFO-SNA and then I imagine on Airbuses from SNA-ORD and ORD-LGA (also in first) I imagine. I havent checked the intin that closely. It will be interesting to see how the storage goes on those.

I cant unfortunately lose the notebook on all trips. For instance the meeting I went to in DC Thursday required me to work, as part of a review panel, on lots of documents. I can bring them on paper (~100 docs about 60 pages each) or as PDFs on a CD. Obviously doing on the computer is the way to go but I need a decent screen to read them. Likewise on this trip I will likely be working on a powerpoint and some other things that dont go well on an iPhone. But on some trips I can probably do it with just the iphone and probably will.

The other thing that added weight is the use of packing cubes/cases. I know that adds weight, but the satchel is basically free form. I think if I just dumped crap in there it would be hard to find and get out. So I take the weight for the organization, packing ease and general utility.

I have the clothes in an Eagle Creek 15 inch packing cube (rolled) and with other items in a mix of SF Bags gear bags and UA and AA business class amenity kit containers. I think I can combine to a fewer bag/container or two, however.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know this is extreme, but we are

I have packing cubes by 3 different companies. The heaviest are from Magellans. Eagle Creek are in the middle for weight and Ebags own brand is the lightest.

I use the Magellans when I want some structure to keep clothes nice and the Ebags when I am in a pinch for weight.

Eagle Creek can go either way, but I've lost interest in EC since they gave up my favority color: Tree Frog.

I am so obsessed by all this that after I do the laundry, I pack up underwear in cubes based on a color code for the number of items in the cube/number of days of trip. Then I put the packed cubes into a drawer.

Packing my luggage is simply a matter of grabbing the appropriate cubes of underwear, packing up my attire for the trip in more cubes and grabbing a cube of electronic gear and power cords.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:53 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Fit into the overhead on the CRJ700 with no problem. I'm in 1A so I couldn't try under the seat. I'm liking this!
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perfection

achieved is very pleasant.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Gadgetfreak, thanks for the account on the satchel story. I think 2-3 days with 9kg total weight including GADGETS and bag is a good target. I know that on my shoulder anything over 10kg gets heavy.

Did I hear you right about packing clothes in an EC15 folder and then rolling it? Or do you roll the clothes and pack them in a packing cube.

The idea with the folder might be genius. You pack the folder with folded clothes as you normally would but you take out all the stiff panels. Then you close it (not too tight so you get a little slack for rolling) and you roll the entire thing up and secure it with a velcro strap or two elastic bands.

You then have a tubular bundle of clothes that would be the ideal shape for a satchel such as the BR or Valoroso satchels.

I just wonder what it will do to the clothes in terms of wrinkles.

If that's your newly invented method, please let us know how it worked.

Till
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Till, I don't think he's using a packing folder. I think he's rolling his clothes and putting them into a packing cube. At least that's what I've been doing for a few years.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Till, I don't think he's using a packing folder. I think he's rolling his clothes and putting them into a packing cube. At least that's what I've been doing for a few years.
Right. Reading too fast is not good for reading comprehension. I of all people should know that!

What threw me off was the 15 inch packing cube. We usually talk about the 15 inch packing folder and don't give measures for the cubes or just say half or double or whatever. But this gave me the idea for the rolled packing folder. I might as well try it. Who knows? Perhaps it works.

Wishing you a great advents time, oldpenny!

Till
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
Right. Reading too fast is not good for reading comprehension. I of all people should know that!

What threw me off was the 15 inch packing cube. We usually talk about the 15 inch packing folder and don't give measures for the cubes or just say half or double or whatever. But this gave me the idea for the rolled packing folder. I might as well try it. Who knows? Perhaps it works.

Wishing you a great advents time, oldpenny!

Till
Sorry. My bad on that, it is about 15 inches but it is the EC Cube. I rolled the clothes and then put them in the cube. Two things of interest. One, after looking at the web sites of some places selling carryalls, particularly the Glaser site, it was clear that they were showing things packed perpendicular to the base of the satchel. I would have laid the things in flat but lining them up in a perpendicular orientation works much better. It lets you put a lot in but none of it is buried so you can pull out whatever you want. Second, the good news is that now I know it will fit under a seat on Ted. The bad news on that was that I wasnt supposed to be on Ted, but they switched equipment to an old Ted plane. The other bad news is that I still dont know if it will fit under the seat in first on an airbus. Maybe on my next flight
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

No, not your fault. I just didn't pay enough attention. The stack method in satchels and duffels is indeed a good way to go. I was thinking about that in particular with regards to the 24x15x16 Valoroso duffel I just ordered. Wondering if I will get another cube or two.

Till
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:06 pm

I tried the satchel again and was, again, very pleased and have some more info. This was an overnight business trip. Everything went in the satchel and it was at a shade under 9 kg. I cut back a bit on the work documents. I was on an M80 in first on the way there and the bag fit in the overhead, longways (taking up the least room - perpendicular to the opening of the overhead) on the AB side. On the return, something quite inexplicable happened. I was wondering whether it would fit under the seat in coach and apparently AA read my mind and for perhaps the second time this year my upgrade didnt clear. But the good news is that it does fit under the seat in coach on an MD80, this time, parallel to the length of the plane, so again taking up the least amount of room possible. Pretty happy about that, except for the upgrade, but what the heck, it was a two hour flight.

Also, Till, just to clarify, when you say the "stack method" I am not doing what I would call stacking. I start by putting the Eagle Creek cube in the bag, on its edge. So it is basically standing on its side in the center of the bag. I then put my computer into the bag (in a slim case) in the same orientation (basically standing on its side). Then goes my travel folder that my assistant prepares with all of my travel info plus any materials I need for the trip (manuscripts or whatever I will be working on). That also goes on its edge. Then the various pouches with shaving stuff, power cables and what not go down in the corners of the bag. This is where I got the idea of how to pack it, with the big stuff standing on its side in the middle and then at the bottom and out to the front and back edges of the bag go the small things.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the detailed description, Gadgetfreak. I really appreciate it. It was funny actually because you started out the first paragraph with the under seat experience, which is important to. But in my mind I was thinking, "Come on, tell me how you packed the darn thing!". Seriously! And then in the second paragraph you did just that.

Thanks also for linking to the Glaser site. I first thought you put the things in perpendicular to the zipper and wondered how that even fit. But then I understood it. Very good idea indeed. BTW, aren't those new sail cloth and leather pouches stylish? Good thing I'm so concerned about weight and that they are so expensive or else I'd buy one.

We are talking about this bag, right:
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...el-Satchel_256

Of course, I went right to my Valoroso Duffel:
http://www.uwantsavings.com/detail_L...hel-Steel.html

The measures are quite different in that it is not as high but larger. Well, I am happy to report that your technique still works for the roll shape Valoroso. A file folder and computer will fit just like in your bag. I tried the EC18, too. If I put it in a slight angle it will fit. The EC15 does fit without a problem. That will really help a lot when I am packing this thing.

The duffels, satchels and holdalls really present a packing challenge but they reward you with a great volume to weight ratio and thus also good stowage solutions. For casual clothing items I think they can work very well. The more square VD25 even works for a suit if you do it right.

Some days ago I went to the Vuitton boutique here in Austin. Just for thrills I took a look at the biggest (55 model) grey damier holdall. Very stylish. Super lightweight. I am almost sure the thing doesn't weigh more than 2.5lb. There is but one single big compartment. Not even a zippered inside compartment or mesh pouch. This thing is super minimalist. The zipper is only along the top so the opening is not very wide which makes it not super easy to pack. But it could fold flat (maybe an inch thick) into a very nice octagonal shape and you can thus store it in the main suitcase and take it as an overflow bag. Price was a paltry $1280. Ouch! The even nicer version in Epi leather comes to $2k with tax. Gulp!

The VS22 folds only to about 3" thick because of the seam piping, the thicker materials and the extra pockets. Still for $58, not so bad. And certainly sturdier and more practical than the LV.

Till
Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by tfar
Thanks so much for the detailed description, Gadgetfreak. I really appreciate it. It was funny actually because you started out the first paragraph with the under seat experience, which is important to. But in my mind I was thinking, "Come on, tell me how you packed the darn thing!". Seriously! And then in the second paragraph you did just that.

Thanks also for linking to the Glaser site. I first thought you put the things in perpendicular to the zipper and wondered how that even fit. But then I understood it. Very good idea indeed. BTW, aren't those new sail cloth and leather pouches stylish? Good thing I'm so concerned about weight and that they are so expensive or else I'd buy one.

We are talking about this bag, right:
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...el-Satchel_256

Of course, I went right to my Valoroso Duffel:
http://www.uwantsavings.com/detail_L...hel-Steel.html

The measures are quite different in that it is not as high but larger. Well, I am happy to report that your technique still works for the roll shape Valoroso. A file folder and computer will fit just like in your bag. I tried the EC18, too. If I put it in a slight angle it will fit. The EC15 does fit without a problem. That will really help a lot when I am packing this thing.

The duffels, satchels and holdalls really present a packing challenge but they reward you with a great volume to weight ratio and thus also good stowage solutions. For casual clothing items I think they can work very well. The more square VD25 even works for a suit if you do it right.

Some days ago I went to the Vuitton boutique here in Austin. Just for thrills I took a look at the biggest (55 model) grey damier holdall. Very stylish. Super lightweight. I am almost sure the thing doesn't weigh more than 2.5lb. There is but one single big compartment. Not even a zippered inside compartment or mesh pouch. This thing is super minimalist. The zipper is only along the top so the opening is not very wide which makes it not super easy to pack. But it could fold flat (maybe an inch thick) into a very nice octagonal shape and you can thus store it in the main suitcase and take it as an overflow bag. Price was a paltry $1280. Ouch! The even nicer version in Epi leather comes to $2k with tax. Gulp!

The VS22 folds only to about 3" thick because of the seam piping, the thicker materials and the extra pockets. Still for $58, not so bad. And certainly sturdier and more practical than the LV.

Till

Its been good for me to try out the satchel because it has made me really rethink what and how I pack. B&R I have was discontinued. I got it a couple years ago for a real cheap price. Unfortunately, B&R doesnt label their bags with a part number or name from what I can tell so I am going from memory. But I think that at the time they made three satchels, and this was the medium size. It is possible that it is the large but I dont think so. If so it would be most like this one.

http://www.ebags.com/products/index....rceid=LINKFEED

The main thing that changed to the current versions was styling although the new ones look a bit more tubular, whereas mine is maybe a little more like a pyramidal or triangular shape when looked at along the long axis. Also, mine has suede trim along the zipper and on the other fixtures .
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I agree that packing amount/size ratio is key. That is why I sometimes use LeSportSac bags which are very light in weight.

I am so glad I gave up wheels. I think that was Till's suggestion while ago, but in any case (bad pun) it came from this topic on FT.

When I see how so many people are satisfied with the Kirkland carry on 22" bag that weighs over 11 pounds empty, I know I am on the correct path to travel ease as my entire packed completely packed and ready to go weighs in at less than 18 pounds.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Gadgetfreak, thanks for the clarification on the satchel. It really looks like they discontinued that model. I remembered that model and was surprised that they didn't have it anymore. The model you linked to is actually closer in design to my satchel than the new model I linked to. And as my trials show, even in a smaller satchel your "centered method", could we call it that way, will work. Thanks a lot!

Oldpenny, you are very right. Sans roulettes (pun on sans culottes) is the way to go, IF you don't have to carry so darn many tech gadgets (n'est-ce pas, GF?) that it becomes simply too heavy for healthy shoulder carry.

And you also have to see that not many people are as efficient packers as you are. Even I have a hard time getting to under 18 pounds. With my usual packing list, which is a two week packing list and could be said to be an infinite packing list, my bag will weigh between 8 and 9.5kg (17.6-21) pounds, depending on the bag.

One can read my packing notes in the comments to this review:
http://www.1bag1world.com/blog/2009/...-shootout.html

Unfortunately, that is without a computer or camera. The camera is just one pound but the computer is 6lb with charger. So that brings me to at least 25lbs, even if I don't bring an extra computer bag and use just a poly mailer sleeve. Yes, I could onebag it but I tried the 25lb bag recently, packed exactly like that with the laptop in a sleeve, and it was pretty bad on my shoulder. Read remarks on traveling with the VD25 in the Andiamo thread.

Fortunately, for shorter trips of 2-3 days, I can effectively cut down the weight by about 2-3kg which brings me back in range again. Then I only have the problem that I don't like to show up at a conference with something like the BR235x on my shoulder. That why I recently got an Incase sleeve.
Exactly this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eeve_Plus.html

Except that I only paid $3!

It weighs 400gr and is big enough to hold what I need for a presentation or a meeting. I use it with my main bag's strap.

So yes, I am working on it but I am not at your level of efficiency yet. And, I must say to my excuse, that it does help with weight to be a petite woman and a smart one at that. A similar outfit for me will probably weigh 50-100% more than for you.

Till

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.