Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by airsurfer
You can enable the electronic shutter which is absolutely silent.
That doesn't change image quality at all, does it?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
That doesn't change image quality at all, does it?
Definitely maybe. Rolling shutter if your subject is moving and weird banding artifacts from some artificial light sources are 2 ways ES can dramatically affect your images.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
As a birder, I need a super zoom lens. I used to have a Canon 60D and 100-400 lens, But I downsized last year to the Nikon P9000 (has 83x zoom) because like others here I got sick of lugging all that weight around. Plus the DSLR was killing my neck! I still get good enough pics for my hobbyist purposes.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
With cellphone cameras improving at a rapid rate, has anyone switched to exclusively bringing a telephoto prime on travel instead? (say ... 80mm or maybe even 135mm)
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I have a 70-200 which I always take but I don't find myself using it too much.

Last time I did use it was to shoot a pano of a cityscape at distance to capture more details stitched together.

It really depends on the types of things you tend to photograph.

Landscapes and architecture is mostly going to be wide-angle. Maybe if you see a big cathedral, you would use a telephoto to photograph the gargoyles, which would be the equivalent of 10 stories up from street level.

Otherwise, mid telephotos would be more useful for street photography, taking pictures of people from a distance, I would think.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:28 pm

I'm tending towards a cellphone camera and a Sony RX100 III for travel photography. The cellphone is adequate for almost all travel photography. In some cases, especially low light, the RX100 on a small tripod is a better choice.

What this doesn't give me and I miss is wider then 24mm FF equivalent. Does anyone know of a truly pocketable camera that will do ultrawide?

I would carry more if I needed to shoot subjects that move or if I needed a longer lens or shallower depth of field. I shoot mainly art and architecture, as well as some we-were-there pictures of my wife and me, so those are not serious issues.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by richarddd
I'm tending towards a cellphone camera and a Sony RX100 III for travel photography. The cellphone is adequate for almost all travel photography. In some cases, especially low light, the RX100 on a small tripod is a better choice.

What this doesn't give me and I miss is wider then 24mm FF equivalent. Does anyone know of a truly pocketable camera that will do ultrawide?

I would carry more if I needed to shoot subjects that move or if I needed a longer lens or shallower depth of field. I shoot mainly art and architecture, as well as some we-were-there pictures of my wife and me, so those are not serious issues.
I wouldn't say it was pocketable, but Nikon use to have the 1 series which used a 1" sensor. Unfortunately, it was discontinued as sales were disappointing since everyone wanted a big sensor camera.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by wco81
I have a 70-200 which I always take but I don't find myself using it too much.

Last time I did use it was to shoot a pano of a cityscape at distance to capture more details stitched together.

It really depends on the types of things you tend to photograph.

Landscapes and architecture is mostly going to be wide-angle. Maybe if you see a big cathedral, you would use a telephoto to photograph the gargoyles, which would be the equivalent of 10 stories up from street level.

Otherwise, mid telephotos would be more useful for street photography, taking pictures of people from a distance, I would think.
My iPhone has supplanted my camera for pretty much everything except portraits and "shots that would look better from 80mm" ... I know the whole "zoom with your feet" phrase is thrown around a lot. For street photography though, I don't always want to get up close and personal with a camera, so ... yeah.

Originally Posted by richarddd

I've found the iPhone camera is good enough for most wide shots (35mm-ish?). Could always take a couple steps closer maybe, and then try to fix any glaring issues in post. I can shoot RAW using a few different apps now.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:31 am

The problems with zoom with your feet include perspective issues and personal space issues.

The Google camera app lets you choose to save raw files. My most frequent corrections are camera tilt (i.e., horizon not level) and keystone correction, so raw is not as important for me, although I leave the raw setting on..
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:19 pm

I am a novice at photography. I have used a 'point and shoot' for a number of years. Simple and it works well for quick memorabilia pics. And if I lose it, not a big deal.

I am going to Machu Picchu and I'd like to acquire a camera with a wider angle view. A point and shoot is preferred, but I am not sure of what 'range' I should be looking for. Any suggestions as to reliable models? If a point and shoot is not available, any other suggestions?

Many thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Point and shoot camera really has declined.

That said, there's still a wide range of products in the category, ranging in price from around $150 to over $1000.

You pay more for image quality, particularly the cameras with 1-inch sensors, or convenience, like the super zooms. Of course with super zooms, they're more bulky, probably won't fit in a jacket pocket.

I haven't used the guides and feature search on this site but it's a good site, which attracts a lot of enthusiasts. Their guide list the "best of" for different types of photography and different price levels.

https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides

They also have a nice feature search engine that lets you select which features are important.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras#!

Good brands to look for are the higher-end Sonys (RX100, though the price will be approaching $1000 if not go over it) and the Panasonics, which may be better in the lower priced categories.
urbanspaceman and lamphs like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lamphs
I am a novice at photography. I have used a 'point and shoot' for a number of years. Simple and it works well for quick memorabilia pics. And if I lose it, not a big deal.

I am going to Machu Picchu and I'd like to acquire a camera with a wider angle view. A point and shoot is preferred, but I am not sure of what 'range' I should be looking for. Any suggestions as to reliable models? If a point and shoot is not available, any other suggestions?

Many thanks!
I went to Machu Picchu with my Olympus E-M5 Mark ll and the Olympus 12-40 mm f2.8 Pro lens and took home some fabulous shots. 12mm on a M43 camera is the equivalent of 24mm on a full frame camera and their 12-40 f2.8 Pro lens has amazing IQ.

Also this is a weatherproof kit and Machu Picchu can be dusty.
lamphs likes this.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Feb 19, 2020 at 7:23 am
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by lamphs

Many thanks!
Too many options available. The various RX-100s are solid choices for a zoom compact, as others have pointed out. The new Fuji X100V is also great if a 35mm equivalent prime works for you. You get a faster lens and weather sealing if you go with the Fuji, but lose the zoom capabilities of Sony.
sea_jeff, lamphs and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
cameras

As a former Fujifilm employee, I still follow the camera world. What is happening is that the market is cell phone for amateurs or $1,000 cameras for pros and very advanced amateurs. You can imagine the sales volume of $1k cameras is way less than the old amateur units with prices of $200-500 point and shoots. PS cameras are essentially gone. Nikon, canon and others are actually hurting financially with the dramatic sales drop.

The question for most users is justifying a $1000 purchase to themselves or their spouse. Not easy and you really have to love photography to buy it.
lamphs likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Dave510
Too many options available. The various RX-100s are solid choices for a zoom compact, as others have pointed out. The new Fuji X100V is also great if a 35mm equivalent prime works for you. You get a faster lens and weather sealing if you go with the Fuji, but lose the zoom capabilities of Sony.
35mm may not be wide enough for the OP. I recommend that the OP gets the RX100 VII. I have it and it's a fantastic camera.
lamphs likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.