Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Ok, but who gives a crap.

Oly and Panasonic are doing good business. Canon is late to the party. They may change the market but will have to catch up first. Nikon also has a nice mirrorless line as well. It is pretty much the same competition that has been around for 50 years. Frankly I won't be around to see who survives in 30 years anyway. People will probably be imaging in holograms by then anyway.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:16 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Ok, but who gives a crap.

Oly and Panasonic are doing good business. Canon is late to the party. They may change the market but will have to catch up first. Nikon also has a nice mirrorless line as well. It is pretty much the same competition that has been around for 50 years. Frankly I won't be around to see who survives in 30 years anyway. People will probably be imaging in holograms by then anyway.
Those that perish can't continue to develop further improvements, the reality is today the improvements in imaging and hardware / software and such is driven more by Apple, Google, Sony and their likes on the backs of volume and ROI then Nikon/Canon who are now fast drafting. 30 years ago the leaders in imaging were camera and film companies but they forgot they were in the "imaging" business NOT the film/camera business.

Never forget the business.

For me use the right tool to capture the image, when I need weight and convenience the iPhone almost always trumps, when I need lightening focus, IQ, and or low light more likely than not a more larger sensor and different tool raise it's head, sadly those moments become far less often and iPhone just gets it done well enough. For those that love the process, it is like painting always a market for paint and brushes.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I’ve got a serious amount of APSC Fuji glass and don’t really see the format going away in the near future. It’s the sweet spot for image quality and usability.

The process is part of the fun. My cars are all 6MT and are a pleasure to operate. The X cameras are much the same.

And it’s possible that sensor technologies like organic sensors may advance beyond the current silicon based sensors that reduce the advantage of FF VS. smaller sensors.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by sea_jeff; Aug 20, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well a couple of years ago they announced curved sensors but remains to be seen what they do with them.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Perhaps for the professional and serious amateur. For everyone else, size and weight still matter.

This argument was made back when high quality digital full-frames came on the market but less-than full frame DSLR cameras are still quite popular.
Also, cost. The entry point with a lens to DSLR or APS-C/m43 mirrorless is < $500 new; used can be as little as about $250.

Even with the cheaper crop of $1300-$1500ish FF bodies (and matching that to a cheap lens, which I doubt it she main use case for FF), used ones are rarely breaking below $750 (except if you can still find an old first-gen 5D) so you're looking at very roughly 3x the cost no matter how you slice it.

Yes, the current crop of high-end phones are very good, but compared to even APS-C there are limits to the fundamental optics which will never be as good... and right now it's cheaper to buy an entry level mirrorless camera kit AND a low-midrange phone if your other uses for the phone are met by the ever-more capable low end of the smartphone market -- much cheaper than the very high end of the smartphone market which at US$1000+
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:42 am
Suspended

Brand new Olympus isn't well over $1000?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Brand new Olympus isn't well over $1000?
I don't follow m43s models, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are some m43 camera bodies over $1000. There certainly are still APS-C mirrorless cameras and DSLRs which sell new above $1000, but those are still cheaper than most full-frame cameras. There's some overlap with the cheaper FF models, and whether it's better to go for something with somewhat higher-end features vs. a more stripped down (or prior-generation) FF camera is going to be an individual judgement call at that price point.

There aren't going to be a lot of people who want to move up from a cell phone to a "real camera" at the $1000+ body (often $2000+ kit) level. The intro-level DSLRs and mirrorless cameras you're going to see at Walmart/Target, or showing up as recommendations for beginners, are going to be maybe up to $650-700 for a kit.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:48 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by nkedel
Also, cost. The entry point with a lens to DSLR or APS-C/m43 mirrorless is < $500 new; used can be as little as about $250.

Even with the cheaper crop of $1300-$1500ish FF bodies (and matching that to a cheap lens, which I doubt it she main use case for FF), used ones are rarely breaking below $750 (except if you can still find an old first-gen 5D) so you're looking at very roughly 3x the cost no matter how you slice it.

Yes, the current crop of high-end phones are very good, but compared to even APS-C there are limits to the fundamental optics which will never be as good... and right now it's cheaper to buy an entry level mirrorless camera kit AND a low-midrange phone if your other uses for the phone are met by the ever-more capable low end of the smartphone market -- much cheaper than the very high end of the smartphone market which at US$1000+

I recently took a 7 day 6 stop Med cruise, the last one many years ago I took a Nikon D40 and D300 with 16-85 and 18-200 lens, took maybe 1000 pictures, in the end had three blown up to huge size ( Venice, Ephesus, Istanbul ) you could see the limitations of 12M.

This past month took a DF and our iPhones. I am well versed in the joy/challenge/hobby shooting owning a D5, D810 and the Df and too many lens. Took the Df and 24-85 zoom and 20, 50 and 85 primes. The Df and primes/zooms were actually a pretty small package, but sadly for what I was doing vacation and capturing memories the Df only came out on the sailaway and the convenience of the iPhone trumped it almost always ( call me lazy ), as I reviewed the pictures on my 21" monitor. In good light, darn good, clearly not as good as larger sensor with almost any quality lens, but good enough for sharing thru text, social media, and memory books ( yeah I'm shallow, LOL ). Still keeping the D5/Df but the D810 has been sold. Decision, only for sports/low-light will the need dictate lugging my big sensor and lens.

The fundamental issue with smaller and smallest sensors of the phones is NOT the optics but the discrete nature of light the "photons" smaller sensors mean smaller pixel size and smaller x-sectional area to capture photons. In the best of light a smartphone sensor will rival the best large sensor ( the only current downside is the DR optimization of them ). But in low light and the number of photos/pixel drop quickly to the point that the large pixel size of the larger sensors pull way ahead.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by chipmaster; Jul 21, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:07 am
Suspended

I choose sony rx100m2
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by wco81
I think M43 and mirrorless APS-C is now endangered by mirrorless full frame.
You wouldn't think it with all the reviews of Fuji X-T3 and Panasonic GH5.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:48 am
Suspended

Have to admit I felt the weight of my Nikon Z7, additional lens and drone in 100 degrees Italy in July.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:10 pm

I have the Canon Sx730 hs
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After looking seriously at the EOS R and RP, I decided they're still too big and heavy to replace my M3 and too expensive for a walkabout, and with prices down on the M6 to sub-$500 and most of the rumor sites suggesting that the only upcoming replacement was of the chunkier M5/M50, I decided to get the M6.
Overall, I'm really pleased -- it fixes my main complaint with the M5, which was slow focus, and the controls are a nice evolution of the M3 controls (except moving the video button, all improvements.)
I don't think it would be a great choice for someone not already invested in Canon, but every time I've looked at getting a minimum set of lenses for Sony (which seems like the natural choice for APS-C and preferring the lower, rangefinder-style bodies) the cost of the basic lenses I'd want dwarf any advantage of switching body manufacturers.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:35 am

Nikon D3500 Digital SLR in Black

My always choice is Nikon D3500.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: MP 1 Million, 1K
Sony A7 series or A6000 series

Having a pocket camera is handy but frankly, the place you're going to, you're not likely to ever visit again. So an investment in top quality photography gear does make sense, particularly in relation to the overall cost of one or two trips.

I use the Sony A7R3 with a 24-105 f/4 zoom lens because it is probably the best camera available and the lens hits that sweet spot of convenience and quality. Another to consider is the 24-240 but I have some issues with that lens that I can go into more detail. Total cost of this package will be in the area of $3500.

If that is too much, the Sony A6400 is a bit smaller, has amazing eye tracking, and can use a wide variety of lenses.

If the size factor is still too much, try the M43 system (Olympus). Great value and excellent lenses, but lower resolution and lower dynamic range / high ISO than the full frame options.

Personally I travel with both and with six lenses, but I'm an addicted photographer, which is a different subject. Even with that gear, about 25% of my travel photos are on my trusty "old" iPhone X!

If you are interested to see some of my travel and photo blogs, feel free to meander over to Qamera.com
I also have a number of 'gear galleries' featuring photos taking with different camera and lens combinations that I've mentioned, you can see those on my Qamera Gallery.

Feel free to ask questions.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.