Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Going to Korea in a week. Bringing my Olympus E-M10 Mark II with a Panasonic 20mm Pancake and Kit Lens
Old May 3, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Ramz
We are also going to view the mountain gorillas next month. I have the sony a6000 with the stock lens and one sigma 19mm f/2.8. Do you think I will get good photos with these lenses? or do I need a better lens?
If by "stock lens" you mean the kit lens, then I think you will wish for a longer lens when shooting animals in the wild. A telephoto will be much more useful than a wide angle.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
If by "stock lens" you mean the kit lens, then I think you will wish for a longer lens when shooting animals in the wild. A telephoto will be much more useful than a wide angle.
Yes kit lens. From what I have researched we will be up close to the gorillas like maybe 15 to 20 ft away.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ramz
Yes kit lens. From what I have researched we will be up close to the gorillas like maybe 15 to 20 ft away.
From 15 feet, a kit zoom will probably be fine for full or half body shots and give you some nice images. I like to zoom in and capture facial expressions as well as wider shots, so I always want a longer lens to compliment the mid-range ones. This will vary by your photographic style. My occasional stock and magazine customers usually prefer close-up shots but the gear you have will undoubtedly give you some nice memory shots and maybe a few to hang on the wall. For hobby photos, I'd suggest concentrating on getting the exposure and sharpness just right using the equipment you own rather than buying new gear. If those things are right on, you can probably crop a bit to get the close-ups. For shooting from 15-20 feet, I'd also take a good flash unit. If the use of flash is allowed, that pop of extra light will improve your shots a surprising amount. Just be sure it is ok. Startling a large, mean animal with a flash might cause unexpected results.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
From 15 feet, a kit zoom will probably be fine for full or half body shots and give you some nice images. I like to zoom in and capture facial expressions as well as wider shots, so I always want a longer lens to compliment the mid-range ones. This will vary by your photographic style. My occasional stock and magazine customers usually prefer close-up shots but the gear you have will undoubtedly give you some nice memory shots and maybe a few to hang on the wall. For hobby photos, I'd suggest concentrating on getting the exposure and sharpness just right using the equipment you own rather than buying new gear. If those things are right on, you can probably crop a bit to get the close-ups. For shooting from 15-20 feet, I'd also take a good flash unit. If the use of flash is allowed, that pop of extra light will improve your shots a surprising amount. Just be sure it is ok. Startling a large, mean animal with a flash might cause unexpected results.
Thanks so much for your insight. Yes I will make sure we can you flash in our orientation before the trek. Dont want any surprises..LOL
Old May 4, 2018, 7:39 am

I have Nikon D7100. It is very good camera
Old May 5, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YVRStarFlyer
Going to Korea in a week. Bringing my Olympus E-M10 Mark II with a Panasonic 20mm Pancake and Kit Lens
That is a great travel camera which gives you a lot of bang for the buck as it has many of the features of the more expensive cameras in the OM-D line. You should consider looking for a sale on the Oly 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 lens which is one of the best inexpensive lenses in the m43 lineup.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I’ve decided to go with something a little smaller than a DSLR for when I’m stuck in coach, so I’ve got a Fuji X-T20 with the XF 18-55 mm kit lens on order. Looking forward to trying it out!
sea_jeff likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
That is a great travel camera which gives you a lot of bang for the buck as it has many of the features of the more expensive cameras in the OM-D line. You should consider looking for a sale on the Oly 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 lens which is one of the best inexpensive lenses in the m43 lineup.
I've been contemplating a telephoto zoom lens, I buy most of my camera lens used from a store in Ontario, Canada. Waiting for one to come up used.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YVRStarFlyer
I've been contemplating a telephoto zoom lens, I buy most of my camera lens used from a store in Ontario, Canada. Waiting for one to come up used.
The Oly 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 is referred to by many as the "plastic fantastic". Currently it is on sale in Canada for only CA$149.99 which is $100 less than the normal selling price so if you have room in your budget you may wish to consider buying a new one. The IQ on this inexpensive lens is dam good and it is extremely lightweight.

M.Zuiko ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 R Olympus

It is a shame that Olympus doesn't have an online outlet store in Canada like they have In the US because here when the inventory is available they sell it refurbished with a limited warranty for about $60.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
The Oly 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 is referred to by many as the "plastic fantastic". ...
+1. I have both it and the f/2.8. When I want to travel light and compact, the big PRO lens stays home and I don't give up much in quality. Well worth the money and more.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:34 am

My travel kit depends on where I am going and what I want to shoot. My typical kit for a lot of my trips where I want to travel light is my Canon M5 and 3 lenses; the Canon EF-M 11-22mm f4-5.6, a Tamron 18-400mm f3.5-6.3, and Canon EF 40mm f2.8 pancake lens. I sometimes throw in my Lensbaby Composer with Sweet 35mm f 2.5. I often shoot food that we order in restaurants and the later 2 lenses are great for that as well as when you want a bit more abstract shot. I do have to carry the Canon EF-M to EF adapter but that's not a big deal. I sometimes take a second M5 body so I don't have to change lenses so much and as a backup if one has problems while out on the road. Overall I have been very happy with the Canon M system.

That being said I did 2 trips to Africa last year, Namibia and South Africa and took my 7D MKII and several long lenses for all the wildlife I was shooting. I also have a Canon 5Ds that I sometimes take if I plan to shoot a lot of landscapes.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United MileagePlus Silver
If space is at an absolute premium, it's my Sony RX100, which is one of the best point-n-shoots I've ever used, and it's fully manual as well. But, in general I'll use a Nikon d750 with a 24-70, 70-200, and a 20mm f1.8. That's probably more weight than most people want, but I'm usually disappointed in a crop sensor, like my older d7100, because of low-light capabilities.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:58 am

Given the same framing, perspective, depth of field, shutter speed, sensor generation/efficiency and size of final picture, two cameras with different sensor sizes should have the same low light capabilities. The advantage to larger sensors is you can get faster lenses, resulting in more total light on the sensor resulting in less noise, i.e., better low light capabilities. By faster I mean larger physical aperture, not small f-number.

This ignores issues such as number of pixels (the more pixels the more detail), ergonomics, autofocus speed, etc., etc.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm currently running a Canon 60D w/the 15-85mm Canon lens. I've thought about upgrading for a while, and now that the 60D just turned 6 years old (and shows pretty decent signs of wear), I have three choices I think.

1. Pick up a used 6D as they seem to be going for about $700, then figure out a replacement lens for my 15-85. The 24-105 would be a logical choice, but I find myself wanting wider in many landscape scenarios. The problem with moving to FF is the lenses are quite expensive, especially for minimal use ones. Example being, if I want a wide lens on a crop sensor, I can pick up the cheap 10-18mm. On FF, ya, it's not going to be a $300 lens.

2. Consider switching to a different brand. I've never been a brand centric person, nor do I have a ton of money invested in the Canon world. I'll need new lenses in both of these scenarios. I've read amazing things about the Fuji XT-20, but lenses also seem to be a bit expensive and they seem to gravitate more towards primes vs zooms.

3. Pick up an 80D and continue using my existing lenses.

Thoughts? Maybe just move on to an 80D to keep it simple/cheaper, give Fuji a try or go with the older 6D and get in to the FF world? I don't (currently) make any money off of my pictures, so that's something to consider as well. The majority of my shooting is travel/landscape/street photography, so telephoto options aren't a huge deal for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.