Dogs in First Class

Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:59 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
uh oh. This is getting into dangerous territory.
Next we'll be talking about stopping 200 pax from eating peanuts because someone has a peanut allergy...
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:26 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
HHHHmmmm.... do you think that pet owners who pay and bring their pets into the cabin actually carry extra carriers? How would you suggest the pet travel in the hold? Airlines do not have carriers for use at all.

Originally Posted by tjtenor4
No, the dog is absolutely the issue, not the dog owner... especially in this case! In what way would it have inconvenienced the dog owner to have the dog in the hold?

As a dog owner, you should know well that you have more responsibilities to other humans, which are inconveniences to you - for example, you have to pick up after your dog when you take your dog out for a walk. Is that not an inconvenience to you, and one you must solely take to accommodate others?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by TA
Next we'll be talking about stopping 200 pax from eating peanuts because someone has a peanut allergy...
Sarcasm? Of course, we know this has happened, and somewhat often, in the past. However, in minor defense of peanut allergy sufferers, peanut allergies are, on average, much worse [potentially deadlier] than dog allergies and also more easily triggered. But yes, I agree with the premise that those with special needs need to bear the burden of those needs, including whatever pre-planning is necessary (epipens, masks, whatever).

But, this is a forum for pets, not peanuts...

Originally Posted by wharvey
Airlines do not have carriers for use at all.
Quite true, and this is a major issue. Some airlines actually do have carriers available for sale, though, for a similar reason... some people just don't bring the proper carriers and airlines can make some minor revenue by selling them. This may more for in-cabin pets, since some people will just carry them in a handbag, whereas most people checking their pets will have the proper container, though. In general, however, I believe the carriers are only for sale outside security, i.e. at the ticketing/check-in area, and not at the gate, which is where this kind of exchange ("I'm allergic;" "You must check your dog") would be happening.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
It is my understanding that on US airlines pet cannot be shipped in the baggage area, only as cargo, between 5/15 and 9/15 but please correct me if I am wrong. I do not beleive that I am wrong. That may answer your question as to why the animal was in the cabin and not checked as baggage, besides that fact that the dog does not, by law, need to be checked as baggage or shipped as cargo.

As for the allergies - again, you have an allergy that you can take a pill for or avoid the situation; a person with a "public" service dog that has been called into service usually does not have the luxury of options; in most cases it is an immediate reponse to other people in need and at the risk of being blunt, your allergies are really not that important to me at that moment - in fact, if you see me working, chances are your allergies are really low on my list of concerns. Oh - and here's a great idea - lets take someone who has seizures with a seizure dog and put their dog in baggage for the duration of the flight!

The whole "wheat" analogy was far out. Who would knowingly and willingly eat food they were allergic to at any cost? You could die. Don't do that.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by redreeper
It is my understanding that on US airlines pet cannot be shipped in the baggage area, only as cargo, between 5/15 and 9/15 but please correct me if I am wrong.
You are wrong, yes. Certain breeds of pets cannot be shipped in in the hold at all during the summer months, yes... but the restriction is limited only to certain breeds (short-nosed breeds who could have trouble with hot weather) and is for both checked baggage and cargo (they both go in the same place).

Originally Posted by redreeper
That may answer your question as to why the animal was in the cabin and not checked as baggage
Not in this case, since based on the description the dog was normal- or long-snouted, which is usually the case for service dogs.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:26 pm

Ah. You are correct sir/madam, my mistake. My experience is with Delta - now I see it differs with each particular airline. Found an interesting site:

http://serendipityairedales.tripod.com/FLYdogs.html

IMHO I would be hesitant to fly a non-service dog in baggage if I didn't have to anyway. I transported a blood-donor dog from SAN-EWR in baggage (no option due to his size) and let me tell you the dog was definitely stressed and messed when he landed. Really, what is a blind person going to do with a stressed out and soiled seeing eye dog at the airport when they land?

Wonder what the ground temps were on the offending flight?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; Wyndham By Request Charter Member
Didn't mean to start a fight or flame war among my fellow FTers.

The flight from BWI to DEN was very full. The GA could not offer us two seats together in Y and only had middle seats avail. We wanted to seat together.

I do have stronger allergy meds. The problem is the knock me out and I feel groggy for the next day or so, depending on how many I take.

Yes, we should have allowed more time to make it too our cruise. Unfortunately, not everyone gets unlimited vacation days at work, and we have to take them carefully in this economy. Our cruise was a 3 dayer to Baja, Mexico as part of our high school reunion. So rescheduling the cruise really was not an option.

Maybe 60lbs was overstating it a little bit. It was a border collie and was significantly bigger than the teacups, toy, Paris Hilton type pups that most passengers bring on board.

My point in posting was trying to get advise on how to get my miles refunded. I would not have upgraded if I knew we would be sitting behind a dog. I did not realize United's policy on this. I did not think to call UA before the flight to inquire about dogs on the plane, because frankly, this is the first time I have encountered any type of service animal in F.

Thanks for all your replys. I will post a follow-up if I hear anything from UA.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:22 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
FlyingUAtoday,

It will take a while for UA to get back to you. They went to all email customer service... so it could take a few weeks before you hear anything.

I have to admit I am shocked that there would not have been two people in coach sitting together that would not have been more than happy to trade seats so you could sit together in coach.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Now here you have a public servant, told that the animal is causing grief to another passenger on the flight, and she still does nothing. I'd contact the FBI and make a formal complaint. With all due respect to "dog training", at the very least the FBI woman with the dog should have moved into Y with the other dog. What is the agent doing in F with a dog in the first place? Sorry, UA dropped the ball here. Dog lover though I am, people come first, and public servants come last.
I am a public servant who travels on official business. When the government sends you on a trip, that is part of your job. You are told where you need to be, how to get there, and what time to be there. This employee probably did not have the option to change her flight, seat, etc. During official travel, you are not allowed to relinquish your seat in most cases, and this was not one of them.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:45 am

Location: Currently: DCA (+IAD/BWI). Before that: FNL (+DEN/COS). Before that: HVN (+BDL/LGA/EWR/JFK).
Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Hertz Five Star, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by czarina
I am a public servant who travels on official business. When the government sends you on a trip, that is part of your job. You are told where you need to be, how to get there, and what time to be there. This employee probably did not have the option to change her flight, seat, etc. During official travel, you are not allowed to relinquish your seat in most cases, and this was not one of them.
As a fellow public servant, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point. We have always been given significant leeway in our travel plans - as long as any requested changes to the "official" schedule do not increase the cost to the government and/or are paid for by the traveler him/herself (and, obviously, as long as they don't interfere with the timing of official business - i.e. you can't miss your conference to get a VDB on the way there), the federal government couldn't care less. I'm not going to go any further on this topic (i.e. revealing what branch of the government I'm in, etc) because that would start to get personally identifiable, and perhaps it's different for your branch and/or department, but it has always been my experience as a public servant that I can request changes to the official travel schedule as long as they don't interfere with gov't business or increase the cost to the gov't.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:13 am

A Border Collie! Would have come in handy if you needed someone else to fly the plane in an emergency - those things are smart!

I found the thread very interesting from my stand point, someone who does have a working/PT service dog. Ironically the amount of times I've been an inconvenience to a person due to allergies is minimal as compared to the amount of times I was an inconvenience due to a persons fear of dogs. Some peolple are just deathly afraid of dogs, and my dogs are very big, and it is a waste of time trying to convince the person the dog is completely non-agressive - they just don't beleive it and I am respectful of that. SO.. if you're afraid of dogs or severely allergic I think its a good idea to find out if there are any canines on the flight (pet or service) and do your best to avoid.

I have no use for the people who turn these issues into "people are more important than dogs" - that was never the issue and while I prefer the company of my dogs to a few people I know I also know that in life/death people always come first, no matter how self-righteous and self-centered the person in the scenario might be. Those who need affirmation of this are probably just insecure. As far as comfort - if I'm there first, I'm legal, and I don't have any options to make you more comfortable its basically "tough luck". And to expect a person with a service animal who is handicapped to stow the animal is just plain heartless in my opinion; these animals are the persons link to a "somewhat" normal and safer life and they shouldn't have to lose that link because someone might get drowsy if they take a pill.

And as long as I'm up on my soap box... just a reminder that hurricane season is here and you should go over your pet emergency supplies! Here is a link to a list - don't forget to have those proof of rabies vaccination papers on hand (some shelters will not admit the animal without it)and a picture of you WITH your pet, especially if its a high-end animal:
http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/hsus_...klist_for_Pets
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I take one day off from FT and come back to find this thread.

Let me refer everyone to the sticky thread located on top of this forum, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ets-forum.html

In it I was extremely clear as to the posting rules for the forum.
Please don't post here if you have a problem with pets in the cabin, staying at your place of lodging or just don't like animals in general. Your thread will be considered off topic and disruptive and it will be deleted. FT's rules and guidelines for posting will be enforced in this forum. If you violate the TOS, you may be sent to "THE DOG HOUSE"!

I am closing this topic to any further discussion.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Jun 3, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.