Dogs in First Class

Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: Mostly Mileage Plus (UGS) + AAdvantage (Gold)
Sometimes we just have to suck up to the cards life deals us. In your case, they were crappy, and I understand your frustration. But since the alternatives were unacceptable for both parties, there's little anyone could have done.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Does UA have a limit to the number of animals allowed in one cabin? This could be why the FBI agent could not leave the F cabin. And from the sounds of it, this was a quite big dog... would there of been room for it in coach anyway, especially on a full flight?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:35 pm

Life is unfair.
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Now here you have a public servant, told that the animal is causing grief to another passenger on the flight, and she still does nothing. I'd contact the FBI and make a formal complaint. <...> Dog lover though I am, people come first, and public servants come last.
If you think that's the way it really works when it comes to "public servants", then I'm afraid that you're setting yourself up for a nasty shock... And if you ever called the FBI about something along these lines, even if they exercise the great self control not to laugh at you while still on the phone, their howling laughter after hanging up can probably be heard miles away.

Next time you're in a similar situation, perhaps walk up to the "public servant" and suggest it to him/her. And report back with how s/he reacted - I'm sure it will be comedy gold.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Now here you have a public servant, told that the animal is causing grief to another passenger on the flight, and she still does nothing. I'd contact the FBI and make a formal complaint. With all due respect to "dog training", at the very least the FBI woman with the dog should have moved into Y with the other dog. What is the agent doing in F with a dog in the first place? Sorry, UA dropped the ball here. Dog lover though I am, people come first, and public servants come last.
Isn't it possible that (a) the agent was in F with the dog because it was too big for Y and/or (b) there was already a dog in Y and UA (IIRC) has rules about how many dogs you can have in a cabin and/or (c) it was important for the handler and dog to be among the first to deplane in order because of its size/the need to get to its training on time?

I'm just saying there are angles here that don't involve an abuse of taxpayer funds.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
getting down with the dogs!

I don't see that United should do anything about this issue, you chose to stay in F even though the dog was one row away. If you had gone back to the Y cabin, I'm sure United would have refunded your miles. In that case you would have been further from the dog, and with the air filtration system you would have felt better. I don't think United owes you anything at this point.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by blueone
Sometimes we just have to suck up to the cards life deals us. In your case, they were crappy, and I understand your frustration. But since the alternatives were unacceptable for both parties, there's little anyone could have done.
Totally agree. This is public transportation after all.

OP: I think if you write an email to UA they will offer you some form of compensation. But I don't believe the UA could/should have handled your situation any differently than what you had experienced.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Totally agree. This is public transportation after all.

OP: I think if you write an email to UA they will offer you some form of compensation. But I don't believe the UA could/should have handled your situation any differently than what you had experienced.
I'll remember this, and posts of this ilk the next time someone complains about clothing worn in F.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by terrysalmi
Does UA have a limit to the number of animals allowed in one cabin? This could be why the FBI agent could not leave the F cabin. And from the sounds of it, this was a quite big dog... would there of been room for it in coach anyway, especially on a full flight?
See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...dden-info.html
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
60 lb Border Collie? Ah I don't think so lol
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:26 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
In addition, United did offer you alternatives that would not have caused you to have the allergic reaction.... but you refused. At what point do we each have to take some accountabilities for our own needs and wants?

I am honestly amazed that you cut a flight so close that a four hour delay in arriving at SAN that you would miss your cruise. That is cutting it very close in this day and age.

You could not change due to wanting first class and not wanting to miss your cruise... and the person with the dog did not want to change due to their own commitment in DEN.

Of course, a complaint to Uninted may get you a travel voucher... but probably not a refund of your upgrade miles.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by FlyingUAtoday
Hi all. Haven't posted in awhile.

My husband and I were flying BWI to SAN via DEN on Friday 5/29. We upgraded to first using miles. We are both 1Ps. We board and take our seats. A few minutes later my eyes start watering and my throat gets scracthy. I look up and the woman getting settled in the row in front of me has a dog. I am not talking a small dog in a carrier, I am talking a full size 60lb border collie. The woman was not handicapped, blind, or anything like that. She has a "Urban Search and Rescue Task Force" T shirt on, so apparently this qualifies her to bring her dog on the plane. I do not think these dogs qualify as "service dogs" and therefore should not be allowed on the plane, but could find nothing on UA's website about this.

I am high allegeric to dog hair and dog dander. There is no way I would be able to sit on the plan for 3+ hours with this dog in front of me. I go and talk to the FA, who directs me to the gate agent. The gate agent says I can go on the next flight to DEN, but we won't be able to upgrade. The bigger problem is, that will put us into SAN almost 4 hours later, and we have cruise to catch. The flight is very full, but he offers to move us to coach, but tells us there is another service dog in coach as well. ...? Since when do non-service animals take higher priority than regular paying customers?

The GA goes down the jetway and appatently talks to the woman with the dog. The GA comes back and states, the woman works for the FBI, and the dog has training in Denver and can not possibly take a later flight. So it is up to me to either deal with the dog, or cancel our plans. We stay on the plane, I pop several claritin which does not help. I am sneezing, my eyes are watering, and my throat is very sore during the flight and over the weekend due to my being in close proximity to this dog.

I certainly did not enjoy first class and feel the miles spent to upgrade were wasted. I have contacted UA Customer Service through UA's website, but have not heard anything back yet. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Are you taking time to post this while on your cruise?

We have lots of allergies in our family, but do not consider it the responsibility of everyone else in the world to be considerate of that. You really need to see an allergist and get some better medication as the world is full of dogs. And, the way planes are "cleaned" you never know if the seat in which you are sitting on the next flight, is full of dog dander on the floor from the flight before!

I don't see where UA owes you anything as you had other choices, but did not want to take them, and they were clearly following their stated policy. However, because of your complaint, I am sure as a 1P you will receive an e-cert for $200. You will not receive your miles back; you flew in F. Expect to wait several days for an answer.

Also, this is OT, but highly advise you to fly in the day before when taking a cruise!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by LessO2
I'll remember this, and posts of this ilk the next time someone complains about clothing worn in F.
I speak for myself. There have been plenty of occurrences when I was annoyed by a fellow passenger, like last week when there was a guy in ps C across the aisle wearing a cutoff tank top. What the rest of my "ilk" thinks about the situation may or may not agree with my understanding of my own place in the world, but what does that have to do with how UA offered to accommodate a service dog and a passenger with dog allergies on the same flight?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I have a "working" dog who becomes a service dog if called upon in times of national disasters. If called upon, we will be on a plane, most likely in first. My dog weighs 90 lbs so we need a little bit of room to maneuver. Hopefully, you won't ever see me.

If it were a person with a seeing eye dog on your flight, would you have been less allergic or complained just as much? What would you have expected at that point - the blind person and their dog to move or to leave the plane? Why do you board public transportation with such severe allergies and the definite possibility of a service animal being aboard without proper medication for such an event?

And btw: I think you should definitely call the FBI and complain
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
To be clear, that thread references the policy for pets... service animals are a completely different story. To my knowledge, there is no limit on the number of service animals allowed in the cabin, because they are not subject to the same restrictions as pets... but I'm not sure about this.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by wharvey
I am honestly amazed that you cut a flight so close that a four hour delay in arriving at SAN that you would miss your cruise. That is cutting it very close in this day and age.
I'm glad someone said it! This is not about the dog or your allergies this is about your inflexibility and your ability to plan ahead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.