Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Favor In-Flight Phone Access? Depends On How Old You Are

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: In-flight cell phone access, yes or no? And how old are you?
YES -- Under 21
0%
YES -- Age 21-35
4.79%
YES -- Age 36-55
6.16%
YES -- Over 55
0%
NO -- Under 21
4.11%
NO -- Age 21-35
20.55%
NO -- Age 36-55
38.36%
NO -- Over 55
26.03%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Favor In-Flight Phone Access? Depends On How Old You Are

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I would love to see phone booths brought back specifically for cell users. The old fashioned kind with a seat, sound insulation and a door. They should be strategically located in public spaces everywhere, especially in airport lounges, restaurants, trains, etc.

A soundproof phone booth is pretty much the only way I can think of to make cell usage on airplanes even remotely acceptable. They could be made small and intentionally uncomfortable -- maybe half the size of a lav in economy.

That, and the invention of a technology to automatically silence ringers and sound effects on all devices within proximity. These would be fantastic in theaters, restaurants, libraries... oh, just so MANY places.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
21-35 and firmly against. I don't sit in the quiet car of trains and I'm happy to talk on my phone anywhere it's allowed on the ground, but airliner cabins are too cramped and crowded for in-flight calling to be a good thing. As for texting... people already do it with Wi-Fi calling anyway, so who cares.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: DL PM, QF, UA, HH Gold, SPG
39, and am adamantly against voice calls in the air. I see no problem with texting - it's not going to bother the surrounding pax any more than a laptop or tablet.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm over 40 and think this is a case of mass psychosis. People become irrational with everything to do with public air travel. It's probably the most craziest industry there is. Lighten up everyone! Hah, like that's going to do any good.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
55 and dead set against hearing anything resembling some numbnutz continuously shouting

"Hey guess where I am?"
"No, I said guess where I am?"
"I'm on the plane"
"No, I said I'm on the plane"
etc, etc, etc
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a silly poll, just like so many others about this in the media.

it doesn't differeniate between live phone calls, chekcing voicemail, or texting!

Is everyone against texting on planes?????????????? (But texting is in-flight phone access.)

In fact, playing games in airplane mode (already allowed!) is also in-flight phone access! Is everyone against that? I see tons of people doing it already on planes, I can't believe that everyone is against this type of in-flight phone access.

Please rephrase the poll to be either only about live voice calls, or ask about each type of cell phone usage separately/
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sdsearch

it doesn't differeniate between live phone calls, chekcing voicemail, or texting!

Is everyone against texting on planes?????????????? (But texting is in-flight phone access.)

In fact, playing games in airplane mode (already allowed!) is also in-flight phone access! Is everyone against that? I see tons of people doing it already on planes, I can't believe that everyone is against this type of in-flight phone access.

Please rephrase the poll to be either only about live voice calls, or ask about each type of cell phone usage separately/
I'd say although its not outlined in the FT poll, this is for voice calls. We already have data use in the air (via gogo & other providers) that allow email and such. The primary disruption everyone is concerned about is the YELLING of others in the phone & other vocalizations.

Now as for the media...
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: EMT-P

Even the "yelling" in your post is bothering me.

So I think you all know where I stand.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I'm 19 and totally opposed to it.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
I'd say although its not outlined in the FT poll, this is for voice calls. We already have data use in the air (via gogo & other providers) that allow email and such. The primary disruption everyone is concerned about is the YELLING of others in the phone & other vocalizations.

Now as for the media...
And the public who doesn't understand what the FCCs job is. Apparently people are complaining that the FCC is considering allowing cell phone use on planes, without understanding that (a) FCC is only concerned about the communication signal, not whether it's used for voice or text/data, and (b) not understanding that if the FCC is the one who doesn't allow it then it won't allow texting/data either (because it's only on the communication signal level that there's no significant difference between texting/data and live voice calls, but if the FCC allows it and then the airlines spell out the rules then texting/data is likely to be allowed but live voice calls are not likely to be allowed.

Oh, and btw, the FCC has zero jurisdiction over ring tones, but I can see the airlines dictating that if you take your phone out of airplane mode you have to put it on silent/vibrate.

Hmm, that brings up a point: Will future cell phones have add two flavors of airplane mode -- airplane mode no communication vs airplane mode no voice calls? (That would be so it would never "ring" while in the air.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 1, 2014 at 10:33 am
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
And the public who doesn't understand what the FCCs job is. Apparently people are complaining that the FCC is considering allowing cell phone use on planes, without understanding that (a) FCC is only concerned about the communication signal, not whether it's used for voice or data, and (b) not understanding that if the FCC is the one who doesn't allow it won't allow texting, but if the FCC allows it and then the airlines spell out the rules then texting is likely to be allowed but live voice calls are not likely to be allowed.
Yeah, but trying to tell crazy people that they are wrong is a waste of time as well.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:45 pm

Strongly against voice calls in-flight. There is very little common courtesy when it comes to phone etiquette outside of environments where I'm trapped with other passengers for hours on end, let alone in an airplane. I surely don't want calls to invade the cabin of an aircraft as well.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 5:19 pm

I'm fine with people talking on their cell phones in-flight as long as they go outside to do it.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:39 am

37, and think that the least bad solution is to divide aircraft into noisy cabins (allowing calls, babies and small children, etc) and quiet cabins. Not a great solution, but better than anything else I can think of. Would be willing to pay 10% extra for the quiet cabin, maybe even 20%.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by acunningham
37, and think that the least bad solution is to divide aircraft into noisy cabins (allowing calls, babies and small children, etc) and quiet cabins. Not a great solution, but better than anything else I can think of. Would be willing to pay 10% extra for the quiet cabin, maybe even 20%.
That was tried with smoking way back when. It didn't work. The smoke went everywhere.

Last edited by cblaisd; Feb 3, 2014 at 11:28 pm Reason: Clarification for the sake of future searching

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.