Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Favor In-Flight Phone Access? Depends On How Old You Are

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: In-flight cell phone access, yes or no? And how old are you?
YES -- Under 21
0%
YES -- Age 21-35
4.79%
YES -- Age 36-55
6.16%
YES -- Over 55
0%
NO -- Under 21
4.11%
NO -- Age 21-35
20.55%
NO -- Age 36-55
38.36%
NO -- Over 55
26.03%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Favor In-Flight Phone Access? Depends On How Old You Are

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: Airpoints, Aeroplan
22- Domestic: No. Why do I need to call? If it's that important, sure, but I'd rather just go make the calls when I land. I'm sure it'll take a while for me to get luggage anyway. I haven't flown domestic for a long time since I was 16.
International: Considering my tight bonds in Australia, I would like to make a call. Not sure if you guys mean ok during take off since I'm usually crying because it means I'm leaving Sydney. (Using Skype)
But then again, for the others... they have noise cancellation headphones for a reason, but I would mind if I hear loud convos on Economy... for 14 hours.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:22 am

Im 27 and oppossed to it. The majority of people are too rude now-a-days and would have zero regard for other passangers.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
DYKWIA!!!!!!!!!! I NEED to make this phone call. NEED to.
Sarcasm over.

I am 31 & vehemently against in flight calls. Texting and emailing yes but no calls what so ever. In today's age nothing that important can't wait that can't be handled over text, other messaging program, or e-mail.

If someone was truly that important they'd be flying private.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:08 am

I'm 30 and against phone calls, but I'd be in favor of texting, or otherwise silent phone activities.

I personally think "phones off/airplane mode" is overkill, but I don't want people around me talking on the phone. Hopefully we have some shred of decency left as a society, and we can stay off the phone when we're in the air.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Mid 40s and completely opposed to it. Am also opposed to the idiots who seem unable to mute angry birds, candy crush saga or anything else on their phone, ipad, ipod, etc etc.
To the guy who complained up thread about noisy people shouting at each other in cabins- that's not acceptable either and just because they do it, doesn't mean we need to now endure moronic phone calls in-flight. Airlines would be advised to do this at their peril otherwise I can see us reading a whole string of threads about an air-rage incident triggered by a loud phone conversation.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:36 am

30 - I barely tolerate having my own phone calls, let alone other people's. I oppose it and if there were flights which did not provide it, might consider actively choosing those.

Having a quiet area like a quiet carriage just wouldn't work.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
34 - opposed for sure. Adding more ways to frustrate other flyers is probably not a good idea.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred

Absolutely opposed to it ... to many issues with loud passengers, fights, meetings and everything in between ... texting wouldn't bother me at all
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
No calls no skype only text based communication ^
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
At beckoa's helpful suggestion, I have added a poll to this thread.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum Select, DL Skymiles/AMEX Plat
33. Completely against voice calls, however, I have no issues with people texting in silent or vibrate modes.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Planes used to have smoking zones. Add telephone zones.

As soon as airlines figure out that they can charge more money to guarantee seating in the phone zone or in the quiet zone, you better believe they will allow this.

You better believe they will sell ear plugs or rent noise canceling earphones.

Airlines are monetizing carry ons, have tried to monetize water and lavatories, they monetize clean water, they monetize seat assignments, so you better accept they will monetize quiet.

Get. Used. To. it.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Case and point.. I am in the U.S. CLUB @MCO listening to some loud mouth wander around the club screaming into his phone about everything from sales to why he did not get TSA PreChk... I do not want to have to endure these jerks in the air....
Amen. If an airline approves this, they will need to rename it "In-fight calling"
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: UA
I'm 30 and vehemently opposed.

But I have a technical question...

I usually forget to turn my phone off in flight...and it never shows enough bars of service to do data or voice calls...how are we supposed to make this work during flight?

Or is the question that the onboard wifi system would somehow make everyone's phones work in some sort of VOIP way?

Either way, let's...just...not.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by DCA1983
But I have a technical question...

I usually forget to turn my phone off in flight...and it never shows enough bars of service to do data or voice calls...how are we supposed to make this work during flight?

Or is the question that the onboard wifi system would somehow make everyone's phones work in some sort of VOIP way?
Where the service is offered there will be a cell on board the plane which your phone will connect to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.