The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by annerj
No spotter? Like the motion better?
All of the above. I can just focus on pushing the weight up, instead of making sure I don't get the weight off center, etc.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Today I did 5.30 miles. While I felt pretty sluggish, my overall pace was not bad at 8:09. I finished the run in 43:13 and according to Forerunner 201, burned 816 calories.

Tomorrow I think I'll do a tempo run or maybe find a track to do some repeats around.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:28 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Missed a couple days last week, but have gone every day this week. am doing elliptical for approximately 4.26 miles at a level 8/20 resistance over 48 minutes. The machine shows 800 calories, but not sure how much I trust that.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is shaping up for a bad week. I worked out Tuesday, yesterday I had to work later than usual and had a headache. Tonight I have dinner with a FTer, but may sneak into the gym before if I can get my work done first. Tomorrow is early travel back to DEN.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annerj
http://www.fractionalplates.com/equi...hrugbarac.html

This shrug bar (A.K.A. Trap Bar)? Not very often.

I don't do dead lifts. I've used it for squats as it seems to be easier on my back, shrugs, and I love to farmer walk with it when I'm in a heavy leg cycle.

annerj
The one I use is on the center of this page.

It is my core exercise. I do deadlifts and partial stiff-legged deads using this, and for mainly upper body I do dips, not benchpresses.

I don't know of many people using shrug bars but they sure are great. Form is easier for a deadlift done with a shrug bar than with a barbell. And it has a lot of the benefits of squatting. It is really a "squatlift". But you don't need a spotter or a power rack.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Shrugs? I use this for tricep curls

Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redbeard911
Shrugs? I use this for tricep curls

that's what I have.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Today I did 5.30 miles. While I felt pretty sluggish, my overall pace was not bad at 8:09. I finished the run in 43:13 and according to Forerunner 201, burned 816 calories.

Tomorrow I think I'll do a tempo run or maybe find a track to do some repeats around.
Gotta love it when Garmin people post run reports!

I went out for a run last night - a rare point-to-point run to retrieve a car. 7.11 miles, 8:41 avg pace. Nice to be in shorts in Kansas in January. ^

Trying to motivate myself to ramp up mileage now that the holidays are done. I have a decent base - doing 10 to 12 milers at least once per week. Weather's been decent so I have no excuses not to gradually add miles.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Gotta love it when Garmin people post run reports!

I went out for a run last night - a rare point-to-point run to retrieve a car. 7.11 miles, 8:41 avg pace. Nice to be in shorts in Kansas in January. ^

Trying to motivate myself to ramp up mileage now that the holidays are done. I have a decent base - doing 10 to 12 milers at least once per week. Weather's been decent so I have no excuses not to gradually add miles.
I plan on using this thread to post my run reports every day I run in the New Year. Get used to it. If Flyertalk supported images, I'd post a screen shot of my graphs as well. ^

Are you a Forerunner user? I got the 201 for Christmas and am wondering what I am missing without the heart monitor.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I plan on using this thread to post my run reports every day I run in the New Year. Get used to it. If Flyertalk supported images, I'd post a screen shot of my graphs as well. ^

Are you a Forerunner user? I got the 201 for Christmas and am wondering what I am missing without the heart monitor.
I'm a 201 user. Everybody I talked to about the 301 said that Garmin's heart rate monitor isn't very good. One guy in our club wears both a Garmin and a Polar because his Garmin HRM doesn't work. He has a pretty new 301.

Maybe when the new units come out this spring they'll have a better heart rate monitor. I would love to have that data in my graphs as well. But for now, I think the 201 is the best unit they have...especially now that you can get 'em for about $100.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Maybe when the new units come out this spring they'll have a better heart rate monitor. I would love to have that data in my graphs as well. But for now, I think the 201 is the best unit they have...especially now that you can get 'em for about $100.
Agreed.. I like mine a lot. Only gripe is that sometimes it takes a few minutes outside to connect to the satellites. Once it does, however, it's good to go and very rarely drops signal. Good stuff.

I love the training center. Having all that data in one place is really cool.

Are you training for any races at the moment?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:17 pm

Agreed.. I like mine a lot. Only gripe is that sometimes it takes a few minutes outside to connect to the satellites. Once it does, however, it's good to go and very rarely drops signal. Good stuff.

I love the training center. Having all that data in one place is really cool.

Are you training for any races at the moment?

I WISH mine (a 201 also) only took a few minutes. I find myself not using it nearly as much as I would like to for running because it often takes a good 10-15 minutes to find a signal. I am unwilling to wait that long usually. I just go back to an old-fashioned stopwatch. I do still use it more while cycling as it is the only way to really track my pace on a long ride.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:43 am

Today I did a total of 5.02 miles, but it was a speed day. I don't do a ton of speedwork, but am trying to incorporate more into my routine because I'd like to improve my half-marathon times. Best way to do that, I think, is to lose weight and do speedwork.

So, I feel like I'm going to puke right now. This is what I did (real fast for me):

4X400 (walking 200 in between each 400):

Lap 1: 1:35
Lap 2: 1:33
Lap 3: 1:40
Lap 4: 1:39

Did a slow jog to the track and a slow jog back to have my pace average out at 8:07/mile, total time of 40:45 and total calories at 820.

My plan is to add one 400 to the speedwork every week. It's going to be tough! Do any of you guys do substantial speedwork?

I think I'll take tomorrow off as my shin splints are coming back a bit. Ramped up mileage too quick probably.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AHHH speedwork. I need to pick up some 400s one of these days. Its the hardest part of running for me (I'd much rather do hills than speed).

I'll post where when I get some in...they will be much slower than Magics for sure.

I got a slow 4 miler in last night (Fell asleep after work and didn't get on the treadmill until a little after 10). 40 minutes. 40 minuted of alt cardio tonight, lift on Saturday and long run Sun!

annerj
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will say that training for this marathon (4/1) is kind of weird for me. I'm use to going all out on my workouts and have nothing left at the end. The training I'm using now has most of my workouts during the week at a slow pace and not very long (35-45 minutes).

I'm already nervous about it

annerj

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.