Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2006, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Good luck! Doing it barefoot? Is it chip timing? If so, how do you handle that? Tie it to your big toe?
Of course, barefoot. Thank you! My mission is to finish the race while not hurting myself.

Chip timing? I don't think so. I don't know what I'd do. This is my first race ever.
Old May 11, 2006, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=magiciansampras] Is it chip timing? [\QUOTE]

I have to say that I'm a little disapointed with the chip timing. I really thought there would be tons of splits that I could look up. At the CMM they only had 10k, 13 mile, 20k and finish (this was my first chip timed race.....I'm suprised the Boulder Bolder isn't as there are 40k+ runners in that).
Old May 11, 2006, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
[QUOTE=annerj]
Is it chip timing? [\QUOTE]

I have to say that I'm a little disapointed with the chip timing. I really thought there would be tons of splits that I could look up. At the CMM they only had 10k, 13 mile, 20k and finish (this was my first chip timed race.....I'm suprised the Boulder Bolder isn't as there are 40k+ runners in that).
Yeah, I could see that. Most of the races I've been in didn't have many more splits than that. Even Boston I think only had 5k, 10k, half, 20k and finish (if I remember correctly).

I wish there were more splits, too.
Old May 11, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The barefooter I regularly see in Kansas City wears an ankle strap to which he attaches the chip. There are about 3 different common kinds of chips out there, and he probably has figured out a good way to attach any of them. (One type is an ankle strap, but that's the least-common that I've seen.)
Old May 11, 2006, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
The barefooter I regularly see in Kansas City wears an ankle strap to which he attaches the chip. There are about 3 different common kinds of chips out there, and he probably has figured out a good way to attach any of them. (One type is an ankle strap, but that's the least-common that I've seen.)
that sounds like Rick. There aren't too many barefooters that run long races as often as Rick does.
Old May 12, 2006, 10:28 am

Did another 5 miles today in crappy BOS weather, but it was fun! Felt good again. Let's call it 38:30 or so.
Old May 13, 2006, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had chronic asthma and constant sneezing, wheezing and allergies my whole life. I was last one picked for teams.

And I never could run much because of my asthma, my "bad" knees, my back that would hurt, or my "weak" ankles or my completely flat feet.

Even my chiropractor who helps me with ART occasionally has told me I shouldn't run barefoot, and he is extremely open minded compared to most.

So today I ran my first race, a 5K. I was the only barefooter amongst maybe 150 people.

I have been working on getting rid of a left peroneal tendon issue and I was a little apprehensive. I woke up, did my breathing exercises (that have cured me of asthma), did a brief warmup stretching routine and headed out to the race.

I only waited a few minutes at the start and of course people made comments about my lack of shoes. I think about 15 people commented in the course of the race.

When the throng started out, I saw everyone's backs and then they disappeared. I was almost by myself.

I run a 14 minute mile so I simply did what I normally do. Worked on my form, and looked at the scenery. There were people stationed around the streets where we ran and I got to say hello and exchange some brief and fun remarks as I ran.

People were finishing as I was barely a third into the race. I was behind some run/walk old, out of shape and rather fat people. I just continued doing what I do, enjoying the brief comments that I exchanged with the race helpers, and enjoying the wonderful sunny day.

Then I was headed to the finish line. I clocked around 41 minutes. I was intensely happy with my accomplishment.

I wish I could run faster. I rather hope that I will someday. My current dream is a half marathon which I think will be realistic at some point perhaps next year. Who knows. Barefoot is the only way I will run and has become an important part of my lifestyle.

At this juncture I think I am ready to continue this wonderful journey.

Which means I'm not ready!

Thanks for reading! Hoping to see you at a race sometime.
Old May 13, 2006, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richard
I have been working on getting rid of a left peroneal tendon issue and I was a little apprehensive. I woke up, did my breathing exercises (that have cured me of asthma), did a brief warmup stretching routine and headed out to the race.
Richard, can you share any of your breathing exercises that have cured your asthma? I'm so tired of taking a hit on my inhaler before I head off to exercise.
Old May 13, 2006, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CONGRATS Richard! I'm glad it went well (and even better than planned it sounds like!)

While I don't quite agree (with pinniped) that running in itself is that addictive....race day is the thing that keep me hooked and coming back for more. I love everything about it!
Old May 13, 2006, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do enjoy running so much that I feel it can be said to be addictive. Same with weightlifting. I love weightlifting. And it's the same feelings before during and after. It's always hard to start, then about 1/4 through I think "why bother" then I continue anyway, then about 3/4 through I feel "hey, this is fun" and then it's over.

Re the breathing exercises, travelinmanS, the inhalers stop working so well for people. You end up needing more and more medication. And when I used to run in the cold, I'd get horrible asthma that would make it really, really hard to get a breath.

Try this thread about Buteyko for starters. Do a search on "reduced breathing." It takes a bit of commitment but it is so worth it. I don't want to go off-topic here -- drop me a PM or email and I'd love to share my experiences. There is also a Yahoo! group that is excellent buteykosupportgroup and you can search the archives on groups.yahoo.com and learn more.

I can just tell you that my reduced breathing exercises, plus my barely conscious reduced breathing as I run, lets me exercise without a trace of asthma or allergies.
Old May 13, 2006, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I only managed one workout this week, so I did my usual 5K, and did a circuit weight workout. I had golf on Friday, and our cart broke down. My cart partner and I were trying to push the cart uphill, until we gave up and piled three people into our other cart. Glutes and hammys a little sore today.
Old May 14, 2006, 5:09 pm

I was going to run yesterday but the weather in Boston was outrageously pitiful (downpours, fog, etc.), so I took the day off (was going to take today off instead). I'm up in NH visiting the mom, so I did a 6 mile lake loop by my folks' place. I don't have my Forerunner 201 but clocked it at around 45 minutes. I was going pretty damn fast (mostly because it was raining and I wanted to get home).
Old May 15, 2006, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week:

Monday - Slept
Tuesday - 4 Miler
Wed - Weights
Thursday - Travel to SD
Friday - 3 Miler
Sat - nothing
Sun - Weights

All in all a light week. I was hoping for a 6 miler during the weekend but ended up being just too busy at my brother-in-laws graduation and all the activities that go along with it.

I'm hoping to get a 6 miler in tonight and 2 others this week. Then one 6 miler early next week and taper for the race the following monday.

annerj
Old May 15, 2006, 4:42 pm

Another rain-soaked run in the pouring rain for me this evening. I did my 5.05 loop in about 38:30 or so (still no Forerunner). Felt pretty good except for some slight pain in the right shin.

I have my initial visit to a sports medicine guy on Thursday. No stressing problems, but I do want to talk about the back soreness I sometimes get (I've been clenching my abs more richard) and why my left knee occassionally bothers me.

Anything I should push for?

OT: Do cortizone shots help most sports injuries?
Old May 15, 2006, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another rain-soaked run in the pouring rain for me this evening. I did my 5.05 loop in about 38:30 or so (still no Forerunner). Felt pretty good except for some slight pain in the right shin.

I have my initial visit to a sports medicine guy on Thursday. No stressing problems, but I do want to talk about the back soreness I sometimes get (I've been clenching my abs more richard) and why my left knee occassionally bothers me.

Anything I should push for?

OT: Do cortizone shots help most sports injuries?
I wouldn't get cortizone. It masks the problem which is not in the joints but somewhere else -- form problems, posture problems, all quite treatable by changing what you are doing and by strengthing things that are weak.

Pain in the knee: where is it? Which part of the knee?

Interesting treatment for many knee problems: do freqent quadricep stretches, and also strengthen the knee by lying on your butt with your legs stretched out, put a pillow under your knee, and try to straighten your leg over the pillow.

I did these for awhile and all pain has disappeared. I do get knee pain but it is always a result of overuse of the vastus lateralis and I can work a trigger point or two and it goes away.

Question: when you run, do you bend your knees at all times? Bending your knees lets your muscles absorb any shocks instead of your joints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.