The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Broke open a box of new shoes today -- put on the first three miles. It probably doesn't matter, but I like almost-new shoes for races.
With my luck, something would be stitched just a little different and I'd develop a blister halfway through the race.

Good luck -- trying to make it up there on Monday to watch since my father is also running.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Three miles tomorrow, three on Sunday, Hopkinton to Boston on Monday.

Fenway on Tuesday.
^ Good luck my man. I'll be tracking your progress!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:13 am

Good treadmill run yesterday. Did 5 miles in 33:15 or 6:39/mile average pace. Then did a 1 mile cooldown at 8:00 pace. Felt good. ^

Alcohol consumed the night before: two Heinekens.

Beautiful out today. I'm gonna try and get out for a 5-6 miler and then do a lifting session later tonight.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Attempted to swim yesterday morning. Got in about a 500 warmup, and started on a set, then the stupid fire alarm went off at the rec center. Being ASU, they had to go by the book and evacuate the entire building. Now if there was an actual fire, I think it would be far safer in the pool....but what do I know. I don't know how a brick building could catch fire in the first place.... Oh, I did do my pushups and Plank before I left home. On top of being outside and wet, we had unseasonably cold temps, about 40F. After a few min of that, I took off and went to a nearby branch of my gym, just showered, but should have done a little more swimming. Oh well.

So after that waste of time, and waiting outside for a while, just in case, I was a bit frustrated...and ended up at the gym last night. Did a treadmill run, then weights (biceps and back)--

treadmill run: around 4.2 miles, avg pace 7:57. I got to cruising speed towards the end, around 7 min/mile pace. I just need to work on my first mile, ease in a bit faster, and my overall time will be better Had a weird pain in my left side for a bit, took my inhaler and it went away. That is usually my solution for anything when I run, and it mostly works.

weights--
* seated biceps preacher curls 1 x 15 x 50# +EZ bar, 2 x 15 x 70#, 1 x 15 x 80# (the most I've done ever I think); standing curls 3 x 12 x 37.5# dumbbells; standing curls w/multi machine 1 x 15 x 80, 2 x 15 x 90
* seated lat pull downs on multi-machine 3 x 12 x 105#, seated row on multi machine 3 x 12 x 120; seated shoulder press HammerStrength machine 1 x 15 x 90 (+machine), 3 x 8 x 140 (thought I had done this before, but nearly died with that much weight); seated lat raise Precor machine 1 x 12 x 40/45/50; seated rear delt machine (reverse fly) 1 x 12 x 80, 1 x 12 x 90

I was a bit pressed for time, especially for the back portion, and compressed my rest intervals to 40 sec. I normally do a minute, and the difference was extremely noticeable. Somehow I still kept the same weights, and mostly reps, or even increased. I'll have to play around with not just weights and reps, but now times too....

Made it to swim this morning with the team, ASU Rec Center (SCY)
--did 70 pushups and held The Plank for 3 min before leaving home (I'm up to 30 sec for holding just one leg, the other toes pointed back, very tough)
--air temp a little better, still cool at 50F, water around 78F
--we had 3 in my lane, I led most of the set until the end

around 500 choice warm-up

5 x 50 build @ 1 min

3 rounds of--
* 1 x 100 @ 3 min, done 25 fast/75 active recovery
* 1 x 100 @ 3 min, done 50/50
* 1 x 200 @ 5 min, done 75/125
* 1 x 200 @ 5 min, done 100/100
(I did an extra 50 easy after each)

nice 200 easy cool down

total around 3300

my arms and shoulders were very sore, especially my elbows (guess the curls had a quick impact), but I still held half decent times. for the 100/100, I paused to hear my split, around 1:08, not bad...

hoping to make it to the gym tonight, would like a similar run (~4 miles), then chest + triceps weights. of all things, I've been invited to a co-workers baby shower @ 3pm, very close to my house and gym, so I may cut out of the office early for that (evidently they invited almost everyone, guys + gals). I've never been to a shower (baby or bridal) in my life.

our weather has been all over the place lately, and supposedly turn much warmer over the next few days. They're calling for our 1st 100 of the season on Mon or Tues. I may have to get up early on Sunday to beat the heat; high on Sun will be 95, while yesterday it was maybe 68.

oh, one thing that really annoys me about the gym is some people don't put their weights and stuff away after their done. I was looking all over for an EZ bar, and saw one on the floor, w/45s on it (was almost a struggle just to get those off). I always take my weights off when I'm done, and treat it as extra rest between sets. I wish others did the same....
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Thanks for the encouragement, folks. aztimm, it's about 300 miles per pair of shoes for me. I change them more frequently than most runners since I'm prone to getting shin splints.

Gonna make another run for sub 3:20 on Monday, but I'd be happy with another BQ (3:20:59 or better).
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:33 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, folks. aztimm, it's about 300 miles per pair of shoes for me. I change them more frequently than most runners since I'm prone to getting shin splints.

Gonna make another run for sub 3:20 on Monday, but I'd be happy with another BQ (3:20:59 or better).
If I was going to be in town I'd buy you a beer afterward, but unfortunately we're in DC this weekend. I know you'll run a good race. Just no fondue on Sunday night (although if you need restaurant recos, do let me know).
Old Apr 17, 2009, 1:11 pm

Today-

Do 1 pullup the first minute, 2 the second, etc. until you cannot do the prescribed number of pullups within the minute time limit.

13x13=104 pullups

Last edited by law dawg; Apr 18, 2009 at 6:55 am
Old Apr 17, 2009, 2:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by law dawg
Today-

Do 1 pullup the first minute, 2 the second, etc. until you cannot do the prescribed number of pullups within the minute time limit.

13x13=104 pullups
Do you go to a gym or do you workout at home?

What I really like about your workouts is that they are usually simple, and easy to incorporate into another routine, or if limited time, you can usually squeeze in a few minutes of something like your shorter workouts on their own.

104 pullups is just amazing!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Do you go to a gym or do you workout at home?

What I really like about your workouts is that they are usually simple, and easy to incorporate into another routine, or if limited time, you can usually squeeze in a few minutes of something like your shorter workouts on their own.

104 pullups is just amazing!
Both. I do my non-weight workouts at home (pullups, burpees, Pilates, etc.). My lifts I do at the gym.

I try to keep my workouts under 30 minutes. 20 is the norm, I think.

The hardest one I do is:

1 mile run
100 pullups
200 pushups
300 squats
1 mile run

It usually takes me 40-50 minutes to do it. It sucks blocky nuts. After that one, just doing 109 pullups is easy.

Your workouts scare me when I read them. I fear your workouts. I'm a horrible swimmer and even worse runner.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
If I was going to be in town I'd buy you a beer afterward, but unfortunately we're in DC this weekend. I know you'll run a good race. Just no fondue on Sunday night (although if you need restaurant recos, do let me know).
I wish I could blame Berlin on the fondue, but I'm pretty sure it was inadequate long run training. I'll take a rain check on the beer, and look forward to that when it comes together.

I plan on having the same thing I had the night before Boston 2008: Dan Dan Noodles at P.F. Chang's. Salty carbs...mmmm.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 6:49 am

Today-
1 mile run
max dh pullups
max pushups

No rest between exercises

8:12

Last edited by law dawg; Apr 18, 2009 at 6:55 am
Old Apr 18, 2009, 6:56 am

I wish I could blame Berlin on the fondue, but I'm pretty sure it was inadequate long run training. I'll take a rain check on the beer, and look forward to that when it comes together.

I plan on having the same thing I had the night before Boston 2008: Dan Dan Noodles at P.F. Chang's. Salty carbs...mmmm.
Ummmm, PF Changs. Good call.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Well, it's been a while since I've posted here because I haven't gotten the chance to do any riding this past week. Research proposals are due soon. Here are my last few rides.

• Tuesday, April 7th - 29 miles, 1:46: San Rafael hill circuit, loops at the Rose Bowl (2/2)
  • Thursday, April 9th - 32 miles, 1:57: San Rafael hill circuit, loops at the Rose Bowl (2/3)
  • Saturday, April 11th - 22 miles, 1:45: up and back on Lake Street, one loop at the Rose Bowl, climbing in the San Rafael Hills

I missed Sunday's ride that week because I spent the entire afternoon doing yardwork (clearing out ivy) -- at least I wasn't idle.

I may get in a couple of rides this weekend. Between the proposal and the new puppies we got (today ), that may or may not happen.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:34 pm

Note to self--don't eat cake in the afternoon if I'm planning to workout that night. At least not at 4:30 PM. Really didn't want to do anything last night, but went to the gym anyway. Stomach was a bit uneasy through much of my set....

Started out with a 4 mile treadmill run, avg pace 7:55/mile. Started out a bit faster (8:13/mile pace) more by accident, was using the arrows on the treadmill and it kind of just skipped. Got down to a 7:09/mile pace at the end. I think Nike+ may have stuck a bit on the last mile.

Moved over to do my weights, chest + triceps set:
* chest....flat bench press 2 x 12 x 70 (+bar), 2 x 12 x 80 (+bar); flat bench chest press 3 x 15 x 45# dumbbells each arm (feet on bench); flat bench chest flys 3 x 15 x 50# dumbbells each arm (feet on bench)
* triceps....flat bench skull crushers 3 x 15 x 55# EZ bar (+6 narrow presses); standing triceps curl 3 x 12 x 25# dumbbell; rope pulldown on multi-machine 1 x 12 x 50, 2 x 12 x 60; seated dip machine (don't remember weights) 3 x 15
* abs (was a struggle) 2 x 50 on the Ab-X

For some reason I was extremely tired last night, and again today, didn't make it to the gym today. Made myself a double-strength iced tea this afternoon to wake myself up.

Hoping to run tomorrow morning. Set my alarm for 6:45...supposed to be a warm day, want to beat the heat...low around 57 tonight, high 95 tomorrow.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 2:40 pm

Great running weather in NYC this morning -- 50s and overcast. I shaved almost 30 sec/mile off my previous best four-mile race time, coming in just under 7:20/mile.

My goal today was to break 7:30/mile in the hopes my future corral placement will be improved. My first mile today took 7:41 thanks to the congestion in front of me, compared to my fourth mile at 6:58.

It just so happens that precisely one year ago I did my first race, which was also a four miler. It took me over 37 minutes to finish, with a pace of over 9:15/mile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.