Community
Wiki Posts
Search

P90x

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by annerj
Week 3 ends tonight for me with the stretch X workout. So far so good. Weeks 2 and 3 I've been on the road the entire time with several travel days so only doing the P90 workouts and not adding in much other. I head home later this week and hope to pick up spin and stuff again.

I've not hopped on the scale but feel pretty good overall doing these workouts. I'll weigh in at the end of the cycle 1 (28 days) and post.

Week 4 is the "recovery/transition" week:
Yoga X
Core Synergistics
Kenpo X
X Stretch
Core Synergistics
Yoga X
Rest or X Stretch

I'll say that if the core workout is a hard workout it isn't going to be much of a recovery week (yoga is brutal!)!

Week 5-7 looks like:
Chest, Shoulders & Triceps,Ab Ripper X
Plyometrics
Back & Biceps, Ab Ripper X
Yoga X
Legs & Back, Ab Ripper X
Kenpo X
Rest or X Stretch

So the chest/shoulders and back/biceps are new workouts.
Is there any way to do this program without equipment (i.e., pull-up bar & dumbbells)?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Is there any way to do this program without equipment (i.e., pull-up bar & dumbbells)?
On the DVDs, they offer adaptations using resistance bands, but that's obviously still equipment.

I never used a pull-up bar at home, and instead rigged a resistance band over a doorway so I could do do sitting "pull ups" (i.e., I sat on the floor & pulled the resistance band to my chest).

Is your issue with the cost of equipment, doing it on the road without the weights or something else?

Also, are you male or female? (Trying to gauge what weights you'd be using in the program.)
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I travel too much to lug around pull-up bar and dumbbells!

I'm using a bag of exercise bands http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018QY22C (I added the orange band to the set). The bands and the CDs all fit in the bag that is smaller than a shoe box.

I'm sure a better workout with actual pull ups and weights but not bad with these bands.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
and instead rigged a resistance band over a doorway so I could do do sitting "pull ups"

The set I linked to comes with a door adapter (and handles).
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I should probably ask in a new thread but this might do if you have no weights: Convict Conditioning. I have not looked at it at all and wondered what the fitness panel thought?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
On the DVDs, they offer adaptations using resistance bands, but that's obviously still equipment.

I never used a pull-up bar at home, and instead rigged a resistance band over a doorway so I could do do sitting "pull ups" (i.e., I sat on the floor & pulled the resistance band to my chest).

Is your issue with the cost of equipment, doing it on the road without the weights or something else?

Also, are you male or female? (Trying to gauge what weights you'd be using in the program.)
The issue is primarily space and the fact that I know I won't be doing any pull-ups or chin-ups for some time given my body weight. I am a 43-year-old, relatively out-of-shape male. The resistance bands sound like a much better option for me.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The issue is primarily space and the fact that I know I won't be doing any pull-ups or chin-ups for some time given my body weight. I am a 43-year-old, relatively out-of-shape male. The resistance bands sound like a much better option for me.
It takes a workout or two but once you get a sense for how many/which bands to use they work really well. As someone said before almost all exercises they will have 1 person doing them with bands so you can see the proper form.

Be prepared for lots of pushups during the chest workouts, lost of pull ups (or bands) during back and lost of lunges/jumps/squats during the rest of the workouts.

I had my best Yoga last night....I was able to finish more of the moves (still not great form) and I wasn't totally wiped out 45 minutes in like the first few times.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I travel too much to lug around pull-up bar and dumbbells!

I'm using a bag of exercise bands http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018QY22C (I added the orange band to the set). The bands and the CDs all fit in the bag that is smaller than a shoe box.

I'm sure a better workout with actual pull ups and weights but not bad with these bands.
How's your experience been with the exercise bands? I looked at the customer reviews on Amazon and, while a large majority of them are positive, the negative ones seem pretty consistent about the quality of the merchandise. If they break, it always seems to be at the same place, at least according to the negative reviews. Would you give those comments and credence?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How's your experience been with the exercise bands? I looked at the customer reviews on Amazon and, while a large majority of them are positive, the negative ones seem pretty consistent about the quality of the merchandise. If they break, it always seems to be at the same place, at least according to the negative reviews. Would you give those comments and credence?

I'm four weeks in without any problems with the bands. They seems to be really well built to me (but I really have nothing to compare them to as this is my first set of resistance bands)

I did the Core Synergists DVDs the first time and there are a couple exercises (really the first ones I've seen) that can't be done with the bands....you need handweights or no weights I think. Namely the Lunge/kickback/curl/press (single move)....as a side note its one of the single best moves in my opinion.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm four weeks in without any problems with the bands. They seems to be really well built to me (but I really have nothing to compare them to as this is my first set of resistance bands)
Thanks for the info. I may give them a try.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Would you say the p90x has good exercises that particularly target the lower back? I haven't looked yet but I would be interested in experiences if they have. I occasionally experience lower back pain and am trying to figure out why at the moment without going to a physician.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Would you say the p90x has good exercises that particularly target the lower back? I haven't looked yet but I would be interested in experiences if they have. I occasionally experience lower back pain and am trying to figure out why at the moment without going to a physician.
It seems to be fairly well balanced. During the Yoga and stretching you'd hit the lower back fairly often.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ordered up the shakeology and the recovery drink. Recovery drink was via amazon prime so its already here. Going to focus on nutrition during phase 2 and 3.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Recovery drink was OK....not great. A bit of a protein aftertaste. I've had MANY that were worse....
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Toying with the idea of swapping out Kenpo in favor of a second plyo workout during the week. The kenpo just isn't a great workout (I'm sure part of it is due to my lack of flexibility) while the Plyo is an amazing workout.

We'll see....probably give Kenpo at least one more try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.