destination marathons?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

destination marathons?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I'm focusing on running right now, still swimming 3-4 days a week for my cross training and because I have to be at the pool for the kid anyways.

Looks like fun and those water temps look nice, i'm used to open water swims in the Pacific that range from 60 to 70!
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
2014 "Destinations"

Done:
March - BATH HALF in Bath, UK - really great crowd support for a half marathon race. I plan to run again next year.
April - London Marathon (although it's ~60 miles south so I was able to sleep in my own bed the night before)

Forthcoming:
August 5 - Rock 'n' Roll Half Dublin
October 12 - Chicago Marathon
February 2015 - Austin Half (there's also a full, but I'm hoping to run London again next year and this one is two weeks before Bath)
March 2015 - BATH Half

Last edited by rwoman; Sep 14, 2014 at 3:26 am
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, DL SM, TrueBlue, SPG
So excited I found this thread I started doing marathons in 2009 and it's quickly been my favorite way to excuse traveling! I need to get faster!

Oooh rwoman - I am jealous about London! How was Dublin? (It's on my possibility list).

Has anyone done the Paris Marathon?

Races this year coming up:
Sept 20/21 -Beat the Blerch Half
Oct 5- Tower of Terror 10 miler
Nov 2 - NYC!!!!

2015 Races- both planned and considering
Jan - Goofy (half and full)
April - Paris?
August - Seawheeze Half
Oct - Marine Corp (deferred from this year)
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rorahbora
Oooh rwoman - I am jealous about London! How was Dublin? (It's on my possibility list).

Has anyone done the Paris Marathon?
I'm very fortunate to have done London this year and will do so again in 2015. Scary to think Chicago is right around the corner!

As far as Paris, one of my German colleagues ran it this past April and hated it (he's an experienced runner and marathoner). He said parts of the course became very narrow because the crowd impinged on the course. Lots of cobblestones as well. He absolutely did not recommed it.

My experience in London was vastly different.

The RnR Dublin Half was a tough course; this year was partly different than the 2013 course and largely went in the opposite direction, making for soem crazy hills in the last 6 miles.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:18 am

I just did my first in Rio two months back, I loved it, and the course is easy and has a great scenery, it rained mildly and no sun, so that helped, I'd highly recommend it for any one who wants to take their view across Rio(although the best part is all in the second half, and so you can see most of it doing just the half marathon).

I am looking to enter the ballot for NYC in 2015, at least if I don't get it its one step closer to guaranteed entry a few years after.

Also, I am looking for interesting destinations to run (half/full marathon), specially for july-august next year, any suggestions?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by mrisoli
I am looking to enter the ballot for NYC in 2015, at least if I don't get it its one step closer to guaranteed entry a few years after.
Sorry, but they did away with that means of entry. 2014 is the last year where it was possible to get guaranteed entry after 3 consecutive misses in the lottery.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I am doing the Rock n Roll half marathon in Las Vegas on 16th november. ( making a week of it)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This might be the ultimate destination marathon: North Pole Marathon! It's also the most expensive at 11,900Euros. There are still spaces available for the 2015 marathon in April.

http://www.npmarathon.com/html/registration/

The price is EUR €11,900 and includes

return flights from Svalbard (Norway) to the North Pole camp
accommodation while at the Pole
entry to the official North Pole Marathon
helicopter flights in the polar region
the opportunity to stand at the exact Geographic North Pole
t-shirts, medals, certificates and souvenirs
professional photography of the race (personal use)
professional video of the race (personal use)
medical support during the trip
emergency medical evacuation insurance

Q&A re: course, training, what to wear, temps, terrain, etc.

http://www.npmarathon.com/html/race-preparation/48.html

I was watching a tv show yesterday & part of the segment covered the NP marathon. Looked cool (literally!).

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
A few years ago, I did the Couch to 5K program, and then found a race weekend at a place I was already going to on vacation - Bermuda! I ran the 10K that weekend (and finished!), but if you can do the 1 mile on Friday evening, 10K on Saturday morning and Marathon/Half on Sunday morning, there's a special finishers medal

There were a lot of Marathon Tours people in the hotel, and it was cool to hang with other runners at my first ever 'race'.

For 2015, it's Jan 16-18.

http://www.bermudaraceweekend.com/site/
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at The Other End of the Planet...

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
This might be the ultimate destination marathon: North Pole Marathon! It's also the most expensive at 11,900Euros. There are still spaces available for the 2015 marathon in April.

http://www.npmarathon.com/html/registration/

The price is EUR €11,900 and includes

return flights from Svalbard (Norway) to the North Pole camp
accommodation while at the Pole
entry to the official North Pole Marathon
helicopter flights in the polar region
the opportunity to stand at the exact Geographic North Pole
t-shirts, medals, certificates and souvenirs
professional photography of the race (personal use)
professional video of the race (personal use)
medical support during the trip
emergency medical evacuation insurance

Q&A re: course, training, what to wear, temps, terrain, etc.

http://www.npmarathon.com/html/race-preparation/48.html

I was watching a tv show yesterday & part of the segment covered the NP marathon. Looked cool (literally!).

Cheers.
... You'll have to wait until 2017 for an open slot. The cost is anywhere from $7000-9500 depending upon shipboard accommodation. Several years ago, the seas were so rough that they couldn't bring the runners ashore on the Zodiak boats. Instead, a bunch of runners ran 26.2 miles around the deck of the ship.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sydney 2000 Olympic Test Event

Back in my younger days, I had the opportunity to run in the Olympic marathon test event in Sydney. (Full disclosure: I was NOT trying out for the U.S. team!)

The 42km was worth every stride for the last ~600m on the track inside Stadium Australia. Running through the tunnel and out on to the track was an incredible experience. I can only imagine what the guy and gal about to win the gold medal several weeks later must have felt like.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I am doing the Rock n Roll half marathon in Las Vegas on 16th november. ( making a week of it)

Regards

TBS
The full LV marathon was my first back in 2007, but I know they have changed the course since then. I just did the St. George (Utah) marathon last weekend - amazing scenery. If you have a car and want to day trip out of LV, try driving up to Zion National Park nearby. Maybe plan to stay overnight. About 2 hours from LV.

Next up (3rd and last for the year) will be the big travel event this year -- Istanbul, coincidentally also on Nov 16th. It will make an even dozen, so my husband and loyal race Sherpa will get a week in Turkey as a reward.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I ran my first and only marathon at home (Chicago) this past October.

Will continue to look for destination half marathons. Has anyone come across any well-organized and swag-worthy halfs in Europe, Asia or Australia?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelgirl29
I ran my first and only marathon at home (Chicago) this past October.

Will continue to look for destination half marathons. Has anyone come across any well-organized and swag-worthy halfs in Europe, Asia or Australia?
This will be the 3rd year for the RnR Dublin. Many seem to travel for the race.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by rwoman
This will be the 3rd year for the RnR Dublin. Many seem to travel for the race.
Thanks! Have never been to Ireland. Maybe this will be the year. Can't find how many runners register for this race. Do you have any idea?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.