Wiki Posts
Search

destination marathons?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by lalala
I bow down to Boston Qualifier Runners, you have your pick of races. For the rest of us mere mortals, have you selected your race based on destination and then course?

Missy and I walked five races in five time zones in 2007 and that was a blast. Anchorage to PHL - all with amazing views and memories.

I completed PDX in 2008, while it was close to me, it also was a destination because of Powells, Stumptown and Clyde Common.

This year we're schlepping to Bar Harbor for the Mt. Desert isle marathon. October in Maine will hopefully be cool and dry and with awesome views.
I have dreams of running Victoria as well.
How about you?
The Mt. Desert Island marathon is one of the most beautiful runs I've done. You will really enjoy it.

Midnight Sun marathon in Tromso, Norway is also terrific. The marathon starts at 8:00 PM. There's an optional 'warm up' jog around town before the day-of-race breakfast that is also a lovely switch up on the traditional carb-load dinner the night before.

Lake Tahoe marathon, what can I say? I'd never been there, beauty that just got better and better as the race progressed. At the end of the race, everyone stood knee/thigh deep in the lake to relax tired muscles. The finisher's shirt the year I did it was a marigold-colored long-sleeved windshirt. The lake was really refreshing, but cooold, so everyone kept standing first on one foot, then the other. I wish I had a picture - we looked like some kind of exotic golden herons.

The Reykjavik half-marathon was good (I had just finished backpacking for two weeks, got a blister, decided to do the half instead of the full), but if you ever go there, I'd recommend the 10k. The support and scenery was just better for the 10k.

Oh, and in some ways my favorite - the Kilauea Marathon on the Big Island! Tough, but just gets better and better, and you finish along the rim of the crater surrounded by tree ferns and blooming ginger - awesome!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
I have a question and this could be omni as well as here but what the heck I think i'll throw it out here

At work there is a lady who is rather big. she told me she is training for a marathon this summer.

when I say big, i mean shorter in height and wider in width. How does a person of that stature actually complete something so difficult? I can't see it being possible for someone like that to actually run it?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
I have a question and this could be omni as well as here but what the heck I think i'll throw it out here

At work there is a lady who is rather big. she told me she is training for a marathon this summer.

when I say big, i mean shorter in height and wider in width. How does a person of that stature actually complete something so difficult? I can't see it being possible for someone like that to actually run it?
She may be walking it. She may be doing intervals (walk 8 mins, jog 2 mins).

I've heard couch potato/office jocks act like walking 26 miles in a day is no big deal, but it still takes a level of stamina and endurance. Averaging 3.5 miles an hour may not seem like much, but try it for 8 hours sometime....
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
My wife and 5 of our friends are doing the Jungfrau Marathon this year in September.

The last 10 miles start at an altitude of 2600 feet and they have to run to7200 feet. I hiked the route a few years ago. They are all crazy.

At least it's beautiful there. I'll be drinking my Hefe-Weisse at Kleine Scheidegg while they run.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I've completed 10 marathons and Big Sur was my favorite for scenery.

I used to travel a lot just to travel - now I travel to run. It gives a (slightly) more credible reason to excessive travel
Old Apr 19, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hope the Boston marathon goes well for you.

Cheers.
^ Thanks!

I'll have a race report for you later but it wasn't a great race for me. I had fun though.
Old May 21, 2011, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I did the WDW half marathon in January this year ( spent 2 weeks in WDW also) and tomorrow , I am doing the Edinburgh half marathon.

Regards

TBS
Old May 21, 2011, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I did the WDW half marathon in January this year ( spent 2 weeks in WDW also) and tomorrow , I am doing the Edinburgh half marathon.

Regards

TBS
Best of luck!
Old May 22, 2011, 12:40 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I know dhuey did Berlin and Tokyo.. I think he really liked Berlin, as I recall.
Hey, it only took me four months or so to notice this Travel Health and Fitness forum and this marathon thread in particular.

Outside of the U.S., I have run Berlin, Dublin, Tokyo and Barcelona. I highly recommend all of these as destination marathons. Berlin and Tokyo are huge (>40,000 entrants), major international races. Barcelona and Dublin are smaller (around 13,000 or so). Fire away if anyone has questions.
Old May 22, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I have done San Farncisco the last 4 years. You get to run the Golden Gate Bridge. Lots of nice things to do there.
Old May 22, 2011, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
EDI Half marathon 22nd May 1 hr 45min

Hi,

I have just returned home from the EDI half marathon ( my 2nd half marathon) and did it in 1 hr 45 min ( my first one was at WDW in Jan with 2 hrs 12 but I was towards the back).

We set off from Just past Princes Street and Carlton Hill , run past the Scottish parliament and Holyrood Palace before part of the way round Arthur's seat , past Meadowbank Stadium and down towards Leith then along Portobello Promenade , past Musselburgh racecourse for 2 miles before doubling back.

Afterwards you have to walk up hill for 15-20mins for buses to take to back to Market Street in Edinburgh ( close to Waverley Station).

There was heavy rain last night but during my run only a couple of light showers and no wind. The wind and heavy showers are picking up now. The full marathon is still in progress.

The organisers do advertise this as the fastest UK half marathon.

Looking forward to a shower now!

Regards

TBS
Old May 22, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Congrats & thanks for the 'trip report'!

Cheers.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts

If you have a big marathon near you go hang out at the finish line....you'd be amazed at the size/shapes/ages of people that finish.

How? Determination I'd say.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by annerj
If you have a big marathon near you go hang out at the finish line....you'd be amazed at the size/shapes/ages of people that finish.

Finishing a marathon in 5-6 hours is not nearly as difficult as is generally perceived. It requires a fair amount of work for someone who has been a couch potato for years, but if you already run regularly, it is not a particularly difficult training regimen or race day.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by annerj

Agree. It's all about training. I have a friend who is over 6' and over 300#. She finished a full marathon (at around that weight) and plays in a competitive tennis league.

There is more to fitness than weight, but less weight does mean less stress on the body and a heavy person will often go much faster after losing weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.