Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for flying with baby

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI, BA, Flybe, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, etc.
Tips for flying with baby

Hi there

I'll soon be flying EDI-HKG via LHR with my baby with BMI/ANZ in PE.

Doesn't seem to be many websites offering tips to make this as pleasant an experience as possible, and my main concern is that ANZ's website specifically says cabin crew are unable to "refrigerate, heat or add water to any food items". I'd rather not give him just cold food on a long haul flight, so wondered if any FTers could share any wisdom with me?

Any ideas and/or other tips for other aspects of the journey would also be much appreciated.

Thanks! ^
Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
"and my main concern is that ANZ's website specifically says cabin crew are unable to "refrigerate, heat or add water to any food items".

I belave that only applys to nz domstic flights which are operated like a lcc airline.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:56 pm

Programs: United 2P, Westpac Altitude, Qantas
They can give you boiled water (hot) in a container and I have also been given it in an air sickness bag. . You then sit the bottle or baggie or jar of food in it until you think it is warm enough- be sure to shake and stir.

My personal best tips are Breast or bottle feed on take off and landing to keep baby's ears from hurting. If it is a long haul then see your DR to see if he advises "sleepy medicine" lol.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 4:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E, IHG Ambassador, Qantas Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, HH Gold
I know you aren't supposed to double post but maybe you might get better responses in the Travel With Children forum. Perhaps the moderator could move this question?

It would help to know how old your baby is, whether you are travelling with him/her as a lap child or in its own seat.

You will find the Air New Zealand crew to be great with children. You can ring ahead to request a bassinette but it isn't guaranteed until check in. I don't think you'll have any problems with heating food or bottles.

As far as tips go - of course it depends on the age of your wee one, but definitely breast or bottle feed on take off and landing - or else get them to suck on a pacifier, finger etc. Take plenty of entertainment for them. Before we travel I go to a cheap toy shop and buy some 'throw away' toys. It doesn't matter if they get lost on the trip but they are new so there is a novelty factor. Books are always great too. The best tip I could give is don't expect them to sleep just because it is their bed time at home. First time we travelled with our wee man I expected him to go to sleep and got pretty stressed when he didn't! He did eventually but the more stressed I got I think the less inclined he was to sleep!

A previous poster mentioned 'sleepy drugs.' I've never done it but know of people who have. My tip would be if that was something you were keen to do then trial the drugs before you go. I've heard horror stories of some of these drugs having the opposite effect and of kids bouncing off the walls of aeroplanes because the drugs made them hyper instead of sleepy!!

Just relax and enjoy the flight as much as possible. It won't be like any flight you've taken before!! Good luck.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I'll move this to the Travel with Children forum where it'll benefit from the wisdom and experience of regulars there.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
Senior moderator
Old Sep 3, 2007, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI, BA, Flybe, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, etc.
Thanks all for the info folks - much appreciated.

The wee man will be 9 months, and eats home prepared food, so the main issue is: will cabin crew be happy to heat food, etc?

Thanks fleet7 especially for picking up on this point. Any more info anyone can share would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2007, 5:28 pm

You can also make bottles ahead of time and they will give you ice in an airsickness bag to keep them "refrigerated" - then do the sitting in boiling water for warming. In the past I have asked for food to be warmed and was told that could not be done, but I have also had good luck (with female FA) in that they were willing to add boiling water to a bottle and then some cold water to get the temp near correct. Will bub not eat room temperature food? Order the child's meal and see if it comes heated. In my experience it has come with a jar of food. Alternatively what about the regular meal for him - pasta or mashed potatoes or steamed veggies you could mash up would be suitable, or the fruit plate. Pancakes at breakfast has been on offer at UA and that could be mashed up too. Try to be flexible and not stress though. My kids usually sleep through meal service when they were little but I always dosed them per Dr orders.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott plat
A few suggestions

1) Bring plenty of crackers for him/her to eat. Choose the ones they like that are the least messy

2) Try the sleeping drugs ahead of time in case you need them (we tried them on our kids and never ended up using in flight, but it was nice to know we could have)

3) Save bottles (either formula or juice) until the plane starts taking off. If you give it too early the bottle will be gone and the plane may still be taxiing

4) Toys, toys, toys. Just not ones that make too much noise

5) Ask 24 hrs ahead of time for the baby meal. The less you have to lug the better.

6) We always fed our kids room temp formula so they would be good to travel. The kids were fine with it (also helped during the hurricanes)

7) DO not expect to sleep

8) Bring a stroller to gate check. You will want if the kid is sleeping when you disembark.

9) Relax and realize the kid will not eat, sleep or do anything normal. You don't when you are vacation, why should they?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:35 am

Programs: NZ *S
Do up their lap belt at the last possible moment.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:38 am

Does he fall asleep in the car? You might be lucky. My kids are 13 and 6 now and associate the plane with time to sleep. Train them early! We never took lots of toys - just one or two. At 9 mos anything will entertain him and there is no need to lug too much gear. You might want to take some gum numbing gel at that age too. I always take a bath cloth in a plastic baggie for a sponge bath if required. Also plastic bags for diapers and a couple changes of clothes for accidents - spills or airsickness or whatever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.