Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

In-flight entertainment has become anything but family-friendly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, OnePass, SPG Gold

Young Fliers See the Film, Be It PG or R
by BOB TEDESCHI

A husband shoots his wife in the face, then drags her body from the pool of blood. A 12-year-old boy is crushed against a fence by a car. A teenager zips up her jeans in the bathroom after a sexual encounter.

These are images from movies shown to passengers recently on overhead screens in airlines, and they are sources of a new and vigorous outcry from parents, flight attendants and children’s advocacy groups who say that in-flight entertainment has become anything but family-friendly.

read the rest at http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...010780/-1/ZNYT

Mr. Kleiman, of Continental, agreed, saying: “People love Pepsi, and we don’t serve that, so there you go, we just ruined their flight. That’s an accurate analogy.”
So, not being served the soft drink of your choice the same as a child seeing damaging violent, horror & sexual images? Not an accurate analogy, Mr. Kleiman.

Although I may prefer Pepsi for my children, they are not forced to drink the Coke.

What can you do?
Jesse Kalisher, a photographer in Chapel Hill, N.C., this spring introduced KidSafeFilms.org, a Web site on which he is gathering support for restrictions on airline films. Mr. Kalisher said 1,600 people had so far signed an online petition. He has begun lobbying federal legislators to curb violence shown in airline movies.

Last edited by SingaBear; Sep 8, 2007 at 11:03 am Reason: Hot thread already started on this article at Newstand http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731590
Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:44 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I'm grateful that so far my kids are still short enough that they can't see over the back of the seat in front of them to the movie screen. As they grow, we're hoping to be able to distract them from the main cabin movie with personal video units. As seat-back video becomes more prevalent, this problem will diminish.

But I agree it's a problem.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:51 pm

Programs: WWMFD
The daily live "entertainment" doesn't help either.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:29 am

Programs: United 2P, Westpac Altitude, Qantas
Gameboy is a good distraction, or take your own DVD player.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:00 am

A movie receives its rating based on the full release version...

"Movies with R ratings are more frequently shown, though with editing"

Three rather critical words....... it is misleading, AND harmful to the credibility of the "offended" to imply - as these folks are doing - that it is still a "R" movie.

As ever.. interesting that it is violence that gets the most criticism...
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:19 am

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold

Why does EVERYTHING have to "family-friendly"?! And why do some folks with brats think that they and only they should be accommodated?

They should get over themselves and realize that the World does not revolve around them and their kids.

Nowadays the only place I can go and be assured to not have to put up with anyone's rotten brats is the [topless] bar!

Adults matter more than children.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 10, 2007 at 8:16 am Reason: edited crude language to comply with FT TOS
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver
The real reason they shouldn't show them is because they are usually no good to begin with and they make it way harder to sleep on redeyes!

Also, your kids probably see the same stuff on tv anyway if they are big enough to be able to see it in the first place. Adults are the ones making up most of the revenue anyway, why do we need to please children all the time?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
This is like complaining about buggy whips. More and more of the long-haul flights I've been on have the seat-back entertainment systems, most with narrow viewing angles. So it's less and less of a case of people being subjected to unpleasant/unwanted viewing experiences (like, say, a Kevin Costner movie).

So I think this issue will go away soon. And I agree that the R-Rated movies they do show get a network-tv level editing.

Except on KE's AVOD system. They leave everything in. But they have kids' programming to balance it out.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Take your own DVD player (or other entertainment) - you're kid will be happier; you'll be happier that they aren't watching what's overhead. It's the same with airline food - I bring things for the kiddos because they probably won't like what's served on board (no matter how good it might be).
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:41 pm
J-M
Suspended

There's already a long thread on this in Newsstand:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731590

If you don't like what's being shown on the IFE, do what I do and bring something else. Don't whine, complain, sue, or get "offended".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.