Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
When my daughter was 5 and we were back in the USA visiting family, we were on a SWA flight and she asked me how to make the seat go flat...
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
Infant in arms

Originally Posted by IAD1k
Congrats on such an important life event! I can tell you from my own experience (which is plenty with a 4 y/o who's flown 100k miles so far and a 2 y/o who's flown roughly half of that mostly in BF on long haul int'l and some F domestic), that although it is not as easy as flying by yourself (duh!), it is not such a hard venture. I've done several of those trips as well with the 2 kids by myself (and being a guy the FAs seem to be extra attentive for some reason, even "customizing" menus for my kids). Everything I’ve read in this forum is true.
some of the must haves/dos for me are 1) get plenty of books, new and favorites as well as manageable toys (don't take anything with too many pieces or too small that might fall under the flat bed), 2) take some snacks and treats (again, manageable, avoid stuff that can get messy like yogurt unless in a pouch, finger foods are great), 3) take a tablet and preload it with games, movies or cartoons that they like (or you guess they might like but don't count on wifi), old and new ones, that will keep them entertained for a while. I have to bend the rules on screen time here, but it's worth it, 4) time zone changes are a b!tch on children, so go to CVS or local pharmacy and get melatonin tablets for kids (good for >2 y/o). These are OTC dissoluble pills, it helps them fall asleep; you give it to them 30 mins prior to their normal nap or bedtime and works like a charm. finally, even though we all want to be considerate to others, you cannot be everything to everyone, and your kids are your priority, so do what's best for them and the rest will follow. I’ve had my share of frowns and bitter faces from other adults in BF, just by walking in and taking my seat with my young kids (once an older woman seating behind us on an 11-hr overnight flt called the FA to ask if children were allowed in BF, in a loud voice and bitter tone, by the next morning she was complimenting me on how well and quite the kids were on the flight). Never let that deter you from flying with your kids in whatever cabin you want (or can afford). My 4 y/o has been to more foreign countries that the average American and I know that’s more enriching than any other local experience or Disneyland trip I could offer.

I very much appreciated this reply IAD1k. Being a new parent with a 1.5 yr old I will be taking my little girl on her first flight with daddy to Hawaii and Alaska over a long Easter weekend. You have really put me at ease with your post.

Last edited by aspenedelen; Mar 21, 2015 at 4:17 pm
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
aspen

Please do get an extra seat for a child seat. It is much safer and more comfortable for you and the child.

IAD: I agree with you totally. I took my 1.5 yo on a first class (back when they had three classes and the carved prime rib) to Rome with her own seat. Same experience: why does she have a first seat when I could not get one, etc. The FA was great, she replied "they paid for theirs - not upgraded"
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by BeatCal
IAD: I agree with you totally. I took my 1.5 yo on a first class (back when they had three classes and the carved prime rib) to Rome with her own seat. Same experience: why does she have a first seat when I could not get one, etc. The FA was great, she replied "they paid for theirs - not upgraded"
I don't think the FA was so great. She had no business telling another passenger how you paid for your seat. I would have been annoyed.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
I don't think the FA was so great. She had no business telling another passenger how you paid for your seat. I would have been annoyed.
Didnt give enough info. The passenger was pissed that he did not get an upgrade and had to sit in business while the kid was in first
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Didnt give enough info. The passenger was pissed that he did not get an upgrade and had to sit in business while the kid was in first
I figured it was something like that. I just don't think a flight attendant has any business telling a passenger how another passenger paid for a ticket.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
I figured it was something like that. I just don't think a flight attendant has any business telling a passenger how another passenger paid for a ticket.
Not to mention that FA's usually don't even have that information.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rjque
Not to mention that FA's usually don't even have that information.
On most carriers, they do.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Are there carriers that restrict bookings for infants in J/F? Either lap, or own seat (mileage)?

Especially looking at One world.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by skaya
Are there carriers that restrict bookings for infants in J/F? Either lap, or own seat (mileage)?

Especially looking at One world.
All children >2 must have their own seat. AFAIK, only Malaysia restricts kids in first (or at least on the upper deck?) Malaysia is a member of oneworld.

My two year old is flying first on US and AA on Wednesday
Old May 31, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by Redhead
All children >2 must have their own seat. AFAIK, only Malaysia restricts kids in first (or at least on the upper deck?) Malaysia is a member of oneworld.

My two year old is flying first on US and AA on Wednesday

Our experience flying with our twins in United Business from Hawaii to Tokyo was very good. They shared our lie flat seats and we were all very comfortable. There was one truly violent fellow business passenger which threatened us as our 1.8 month old daughter was trying to fall asleep. She did cry for 5 minutes, but out of a 9 hour flight, I thought was better than most of the other business class travelers.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Our experience flying with our twins in United Business from Hawaii to Tokyo was very good. They shared our lie flat seats and we were all very comfortable. There was one truly violent fellow business passenger which threatened us as our 1.8 month old daughter was trying to fall asleep. She did cry for 5 minutes, but out of a 9 hour flight, I thought was better than most of the other business class travelers.
I hope you contacted the FA about the passenger. If he truly threatened you, I would have had LE awaiting him in Tokyo
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Other business class travelers were crying?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Other business class travelers were crying?
No, but I've had them congregate behind my seat on an overnight flight and proceed to talk, not quietly, at length.

In comparison, I would gladly take an infant crying for only five minutes.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
No, but I've had them congregate behind my seat on an overnight flight and proceed to talk, not quietly, at length.

In comparison, I would gladly take an infant crying for only five minutes.
The difference is that you can ask adults to quiet down and they can understand your issue and adjust their behavior.

Infants can't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.