Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Infants in Biz - OK or NOT???

We're doing a long haul international trip and were hoping to go in J. The problem is we will be adopting and bringing an infant or young toddler back. Initially my wife and I thought that returning in J was out of the question. We were thinking of the other passengers who some are paying a substantial amount of cash, and I am still quite hesitant to even start this thread, but someone got me wondering.

Our problem is that we too want to be comfortable. After a 3 week trip the last thing we really want to do is cram in a coach seat for 15 hours. We're not looking to be pampered or wined and dined. We just don't want to suffer. Unfortunately there is no where we can do this outside the the traditional adults only cabin. Even in the best Y+ seats, such as row 16, the armrest is immovable and is slightly wider.

We were planning on taking the bulkhead Row 16 on the pmCO 777-200ER and someone pointed out to me that even in E+ a child can be heard in the forward cabins and we might be just as well off in sat 8AB or 8KL with the child facing the bulkhead near the window.

I did some research and found a few articles that talked about the advantages and disadvantages of a child in Biz1st. One major advantage was the space for the books and toys and other necessary items for traveling on a TPAC flight with a young child. Another major advantage is that there is a better place for the child to sleep, which in turn is less disruptive.

The articles I found talk less about the children and more about the parents who feel that they are on vacation themselves. Those who allow their children to run wild throughout the cabin and change diapers on seats.

Given that this is a polar flight, we are hoping that our child would sleep for a portion of the flight. Of course we expect some crying and some discomfort from the popping of the ears, and there is the chance that he/she will fuss a bit, maybe even more than a bit, but we do not intend to be stupid and intend to do our best to be responsible and think of our fellow passengers.

All of this said, are we nuts for even considering flying in Biz with an infant?

References:
http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2...responds/?_r=0
http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/family...ly-first-class
http://www.askthepilot.com/kids-in-business-class/
http://travelsort.com/blog/top-10-re...lass-with-kids
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by phkc070408
All of this said, are we nuts for even considering flying in Biz with an infant?
No, not nuts IMO.

Congrats.

The kids are lucky to have parents so considerate of others.

Good luck.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
The problem is that you have no reasonable expectations for how your new child will react. There are clues parents get with their recent arrivals that might give them some idea of how well they'd sleep, what sort of things frighten them, and in general, what the flying experience might be like. Of course, they could find out they're completely wrong! But at least they go into it having some idea.

You are, essentially, flying blind. You just don't know; it's going to be a brand new experience for both you and the child. Very exciting! But there's no way of knowing how the child will respond... the only thing you can know is how you will feel about the situation. If being embarrassed about the fact that you created a nightmare scenario (which hopefully wouldn't happen!) for everyone in C is going to bother you for the rest of your life, and you'd feel more comfortable if that happened in Y, well there you go. But if that's the case, I'd suggest you'll need to adjust your sensitivities a bit, because there are going to be plenty of other times when allowances simply have to be made. The rest of the world is used to it. Those who aren't? It's not your fault they're wired that way. You just need to be as considerate as the situation allows. People will appreciate your efforts.

Even (assuming this is your first?) in the worst-case scenario, hopefully you'll find a kind soul who might recognize the baby's needs and be of help in calming him or her down.

Whatever you choose, at some point it will be a distant memory that you likely have a laugh about. It's not going to become some black mark that will follow you and the child for the rest of your lives.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Nov 12, 2014 at 1:59 am
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: UA, Hyatt
The fact that you're asking means you're probably a considerate enough person to manage it. If you're attentive and apologetic if necessary, there's nothing more you should be required to do.

The good part about infants is they don't need to run around. Many people will be wearing headphones/earplugs on a long haul anyway, so depending on the layout there's a good chance you won't be affecting nearly as many people in J.

I've been in J with unruly 3-5 year olds that have been allowed to run free and literally knock over one of my drinks while being completely unattended by their parents. That's infuriating. An infant crying on a flight is natural and completely out of your control. While personally I'd much rather not be near a crying baby if I paid the $/miles for a J seat, I still would never feel that you shouldn't be allowed to fly in Business.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
The problem is that you have no reasonable expectations for how your new child will react. There are clues parents get with their recent arrivals that might give them some idea of how well they'd sleep, what sort of things frighten them, and in general, what the flying experience might be like. Of course, they could find out they're completely wrong! But at least they go into it having some idea.

You are, essentially, flying blind. You just don't know; it's going to be a brand new experience for both you and the child. Very exciting! But there's no way of knowing how the child will respond.
And that is my biggest concern.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I'd suggest you'll need to adjust your sensitivities a bit, because there are going to be plenty of other times when allowances simply have to be made. The rest of the world is used to it. Those who aren't? It's not your fault they're wired that way. You just need to be as considerate as the situation allows. People will appreciate your efforts.

Even (assuming this is your first?) in the worst-case scenario, hopefully you'll find a kind soul who might recognize the baby's needs and be of help in calming him or her down.

Whatever you choose, at some point it will be a distant memory that you likely have a laugh about. It's not going to become some black mark that will follow you and the child for the rest of your lives.
Extremely reassuring!!!! Same to the other two responders!!!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I've done this six times now - four trips on polar routes. It is definitely manageable and I agree with the others that the fact you are worried about it is a reassuring sign. Each time we did it we got better - and at the end we didn't stress as our kids behaved better than we did... PM me if you need any tips or advice - you are about to get on a wild ride - treat is as something to look forward to - an adventure - don't be afraid, be excited!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Echoing everyone else, congrats and just do the best you can. We were you 2 years ago, and our son slept the bulk of both our flights...
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: GOLD: AZ....maybe :-P
I flown with my 6 months old son (his first flight was when he was only 40 days old) several times, although the longest was 3 hours and I will do my 15 hours flight on Jan (in business).

At first I was scared as you because the cry of a baby can be deafening.

What I can suggest you is to not be bored too much about the others if your child is crying. In my experience they (babies) feel you're nervous and it will be harder to calm them.
Take care of your child, instead, and you will see he/she will keep calm during the flight (if he/she doesn't have colic of course).

Btw until now I found more people "child friendly" then the other one.

Good luck for your flight

PS: I suggest you to feed him/her during take off and landing in order to preserve his/her ears from the "pression pain"

My 2 cents
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Your tickets give you the right to travel where you want, with whom you want.

I don't know who started the notion that children aren't "allowed in First" but they should all suffer transmission failure on the 405 at rush hour.

Key point....children without seats don't travel "free" pn international routes, so if you are planning on doing this make sure you understand this fare and pay it as early as you can.

e. The rest of the world is used to it. Those who aren't?
...all end up posting on FT....
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Key point....children without seats don't travel "free" pn international routes, so if you are planning on doing this make sure you understand this fare and pay it as early as you can.
We'll probably use miles to get him/her a seat.
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
...all end up posting on FT....
LOL ^^

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 12, 2014 at 5:27 am Reason: edited to make post readable
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Congrats and I second that the child is lucky to have such considerate parents.

My thoughts is that elites will have Bose (or equivalent) headphones. Kettle and paid F class vacationers that may not have sound proof headphones don't matter.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Agreed with many others that the consideration shown already will help you if things get challenging. Fly in any class you wish. Would I be frustrated if I was flying business with a screaming child and needed to be rested for immediate work upon landing? Yes, but that does not give me or anyone else the right to ask you not to bring a child in biz/first. That would be my issue to deal with and is what coffee or energy drinks are for. That said, I have flown with my own infants many times, some TATL. Most of the time people recognize that you are trying to manage the situation effectively for the child's comfort, which then means everyone's comfort, and it takes time to calm the child.

When ours were really small, we would time their milk with takeoff and landing to give them something to suck on besides a pacifier. That often alleviated the pressure change in their ears, but not always. Once the kid feels the pain set in, there is little you can do until the pressure equalizes.

There will occasionally be that ONE person who just doesn't get it. Ignore them. They have their own issue to deal with and you cannot solve it for them. Although once I tried... she was so downright nasty to me that I let my kid continue to scream just for her while looking directly at her. (Sorry to anyone else who had to endure that, as a parent you're already used to the crying and it will end. Eventually.)
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:28 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
As your question is not specific to flying United, I'm going to move it to our Traveling with Children forum.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
First, congratulations on adopting and may you and your family and new child be very happy together.

Being considerate and trying to help your child is all I ask for from parents. Kids cry. Be ready with a cuddle, a bottle, and a calm demeanor. All will be ok.

I'm doing F long haul with a 2yo in March. I will be bringing lots of toys, snacks, etc. and will do my best to keep her calm. I expect some crying and an occasional yell. But she will not be allowed to run amok. But I'm paying for our tickets too, so we will both be more comfy in F than Y
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mjdth

I've been in J with unruly 3-5 year olds that have been allowed to run free and literally knock over one of my drinks while being completely unattended by their parents. That's infuriating. An infant crying on a flight is natural and completely out of your control. While personally I'd much rather not be near a crying baby if I paid the $/miles for a J seat, I still would never feel that you shouldn't be allowed to fly in Business.
A child running around and knocking over drinks should be just as unacceptable in Y. (And a crying baby is just as annoying to the Y passengers, if not more so because they have less means to avoid the effects, such as headphones and space).

Anyway, I'll grant my view of J is that what you're paying for is more space and better service, not separation from the unwashed masses. (Anyway, these days J has unwashed masses too - just fewer of them).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.