Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Youngest recommended travel age

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

As far as I know, young babies should not fly because of the low cabin pressure. What is the youngest possible age? Are there any airline restrictions?
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
None that I know of...

Originally Posted by HappyLanding
As far as I know, young babies should not fly because of the low cabin pressure. What is the youngest possible age? Are there any airline restrictions?
... given that I've heard of deliveries on the plane, I'd guess there are no age restrictions.

Though this link is old, there's some basic info re: babies and airplane traveling. http://www.christianitytoday.com/cpt...002/15.17.html
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:13 pm

Not sure this was the response the OP was looking for. That article didnt really address flying age.

Ken in Phx
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Several USA-based airlines recommend that babies be seven days old before flying. AA says it won't accept babies under two days old, and reserves the right to demand a medical cert for travel under seven days old:

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Tra...ild_umnr.jhtml
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Several USA-based airlines recommend that babies be seven days old before flying. AA says it won't accept babies under two days old, and reserves the right to demand a medical cert for travel under seven days old:

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Tra...ild_umnr.jhtml
Ditto this - i've found that the vast majority of airlines seem to post their policy regarding this on the websites, under special needs/travelling with infants or some such.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
My first daughter flew trans-Atlantic Business at about 10 weeks. I remember asking the doctor about it and he had no concerns. I know of others that have flown younger.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:37 am

I have friends who adopted a baby and flew her home when she was less than a week old. They were required to have a drs. note but said no one ever asked for it from the airline.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:56 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
my brother did this too

my brother and his wife adopted a baby and flew home with the baby five days after birth. I even asked the same question and he said the doctor told him it was ok to do and he never had a note either.

It may go by airline as to whether you need a note, plus that was almost ten years ago too so things may have changed

Originally Posted by climbermom
I have friends who adopted a baby and flew her home when she was less than a week old. They were required to have a drs. note but said no one ever asked for it from the airline.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:16 am

Programs: Alaska Air MVP - Yeah, you're jealous, I can tell
My first trip was Anchorage to Seattle as a 6 day old and I'm still alive and kicking almost 30 years later so I'm guessing that it wasn't too traumatic. I say if you've got somewhere to go then let that baby see the world!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Same here, adopted last year and was in the air and on the road when baby was just under 2 weeks old.

Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
my brother and his wife adopted a baby and flew home with the baby five days after birth. I even asked the same question and he said the doctor told him it was ok to do and he never had a note either.

It may go by airline as to whether you need a note, plus that was almost ten years ago too so things may have changed
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:15 pm

Both of my sons were on flights within 3 weeks of being born and both are well-adjusted fellas (5 & 8 years old) who can handle 14 hour flights better than mom and dad.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
My son had his first flight at 4 hours old

and this was with his being 11 weeks premature. Now, granted, that was a life flight, but obviously there is nothing in the act of flying itself that is deadly to babies.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still remember my first ever flight at the age of 6. It was a CX flight from HKG to JKT. Was accompanied throughout the flight by a realy caring FA. ^
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:44 pm

I have a newborn son and our pediatrician said "put him in a bubble for two months. then, take the 'kid gloves' off and let him get dirty."

he was in our bubble of a home for all of three weeks before we had him on a plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.