Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with 4YO on SIA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Flying with 4YO on SIA

I'm really in a delimma here.

Our daughter who is four always flies in her carseat. It's never been a problem for her. But none of the flights have ever been more than about three hours, either. Not including the time stuck out on the runway waiting for weather to clera!

We are going to be flying to Singapore in April. We have three legs on our flight: 5 hours, 12 hours, six hours. Then the reverse coming back. I was just talking to a representative at Singapore Airlines about the carseat. She said we are welcome to use one. But she also said the only times they really do get used are for infants. Once in the carseat is in the seat, you can't take it out. That means we won't be able to recline the seat for Katy to sleep and it's likely that her tray table will not completely lower, either, and she needs to be able to eat. And now I read somewhere that sometimes the armrests don't move? We'll be on the 777. The seat configuration is 3-3-3. I was hoping it would be something like 3-5-3 and maybe we could be in the middle and might be lucky enough to have an empty seat. But that's not going to happen!

Given the safety of air travel, I'm really thinking it's not going to be worth the hassle of having the seat. I think it'll make a long miserable trip even longer and more miserable. I hate to bring up the "we survived" line, but we did survive all those long flights just fine without it!

I don't think it'll be a problem with Katy sitting still on the plane. We'll get up for plenty of walks up and down the aisle and for trips to the potty.

Last edited by Leigh Ann; Jan 25, 2006 at 12:59 pm
Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.

I have posted my views about this many times - my kids (twin girls) seemed to love the familiarity of their car seat for long-haul flights. I'm confident that they could have sat in the seat without it, but we typically wanted it at the destination anyway (couple of bad experiences with the rented car seats at the car rental agencies taught us to bring our own).

For most of our flights, we were in F or J, where there was plenty of room for the tray table. The angle of the car seat seemed ok for sleeping, although it wasn't reclined as far as mine was. How far does a coach seat on SQ recline, anyway? From my recollection, the car seat typically offers a greater angle of recline than the coach seat itself.

You mentioned that she is four - by the age of four, mine were out of the five-point harness car seat and using a booster seat in the car. For traveling, we used a compact booster seat we checked with the luggage.

Four is probably old enough to sit without it. Good luck.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I have posted my views about this many times - my kids (twin girls) seemed to love the familiarity of their car seat for long-haul flights. I'm confident that they could have sat in the seat without it, but we typically wanted it at the destination anyway (couple of bad experiences with the rented car seats at the car rental agencies taught us to bring our own).

For most of our flights, we were in F or J, where there was plenty of room for the tray table. The angle of the car seat seemed ok for sleeping, although it wasn't reclined as far as mine was. How far does a coach seat on SQ recline, anyway? From my recollection, the car seat typically offers a greater angle of recline than the coach seat itself.

You mentioned that she is four - by the age of four, mine were out of the five-point harness car seat and using a booster seat in the car. For traveling, we used a compact booster seat we checked with the luggage.

Four is probably old enough to sit without it. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. Even though Katy is four, she only weighs 31 pounds, which makes her just barely big enough for a highback booster. The FAA does recommend carseats for kids under 40 pounds.

I have no idea what the recline on the flight is. My husband just flew SIA, but he was on an airbus and we'll be on the 777. Her carseat barely reclines at all, as it's a combination seat (the kind that converts to a booster for later on). Of course, that also means it's somewhat smaller than the convertible seat she was in just a few months ago.

I'm planning on buying one of those Tote-N-Go things for while we're there in any case. We'll use the train a lot and I sure don't see hauling a carseat around sightseeing for when we do take a taxi.

I'd rather use the carseat, but I don't want to find that the tray table is a problem.

When you say F or J, what exactly are you referring to?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:43 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by Leigh Ann
When you say F or J, what exactly are you referring to?
F = First Class
J = business class
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

There wouldn't be any problem in business or first class! Those seats are about six feet apart on the 777! Unfortunately, we're going to be back with the rest of the sardines in Economy!
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:06 pm

But she also said the only times they really do get used are for infants.
You'll find many folks here on FT who'll dispute that. We used a 5 point restraint seat until my son 4.5 years, 42 lbs because that's how long we used it in the car.
That means we won't be able to recline the seat for Katy to sleep and it's likely that her tray table will not completely lower, either, and she needs to be able to eat.
Does her seat recline for her to sleep in the car? My son slept fine in his seat both in the car and in the air (including on flights between Europe and the California) - he was used to the slightly slanted angle of the car seat. Since he outgrew the 5 point seat and he flies in a regular plane seat, he's actually less comfortable, because the seat is too deep for his legs to bend comfortably, and leaning the seat back doesn't help him. Unless you're in a class of service where the seat would recline all the way, I don't think seat recline helps kids a great deal.

I found with my son's seat, we didn't have a problem with the tray table unless the seat in front of us was reclined. Probably depends on how high the seat is.

I think it'll make a long miserable trip even longer and more miserable.
If you've already decided the trip will be miserable, it will be. Parental attitude makes a huge difference in how kids see things.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A child your daughters age does not need a carseat and dragging it around with you will be a nightmare as well. My son ditched bassinets and carseats shortly after 2.5 years old and has been fine in normal seats, he is a stickler for putting on his seatbelt as well.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Singapore people adore children!

You will find both on the airplane and in Singapore a very nice atmosphere for your child. Talk with the airline and check out the layout of the airplane. The person you talk to might have some suggestions about where your family would be the most comfortable. Also ask where the larger 'family' lavatories are located. They give you more room to take care of your child without feeling that you are in a telephone booth. In Singapore, both the Night Safari and the regular zoo are nice places to visit. I really enjoy visiting Singapore.

Have a wonderful visit!
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
I distinctly remember travelling to singapore when I was about 4 (24 odd years ago now) and sitting in a window seat watching clouds. I must say I have yeat to see anyone put a kid into a car seat to travel on a plane...it must be an american thing. As for needing a car seat while traveling on the MRT in Singapore - I have seen young kids of 4/5 sitting quite happily on the chairs without any discomfort.

As for taxis - I am pretty sure the hotel you stay at will be able t oorder you taxis who have child seats available.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TIMP

As for taxis - I am pretty sure the hotel you stay at will be able t oorder you taxis who have child seats available.
We're taking our 9mo. old to Singapore later in the year and have been struggling to figure out how to get from the airport to downtown as the usual taxis don't have car seats available.

However, we have been able to arrange a chauffeur through Avis for the transfer. It's S$45 one way - so about double the cost of a regular taxi - but they will supply a car seat. Hope that helps.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Your driver will meet you with a hand printed sign

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
We're taking our 9mo. old to Singapore later in the year and have been struggling to figure out how to get from the airport to downtown as the usual taxis don't have car seats available.

However, we have been able to arrange a chauffeur through Avis for the transfer. It's S$45 one way - so about double the cost of a regular taxi - but they will supply a car seat. Hope that helps.
Do not be surprised if the spelling is not your usual way of doing things. I watch for anything that even looks similar and often find my name with additional S's and N's. It is a short drive to most hotels. You will find that having a child will help you to meet people and be greated with great pleasure. I really enjoy visiting Singapore!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:46 am

Have fun

You dont need a carseat on the plane, nor in car/taxi at destination. From a safety standpoint, the dehydration and germ-laden air is a greater risk.

Just finished a two-week trip from Seoul to upcountry Thailand with a 3 and a 5 yr. old.

Airlines in Asia wil give a goodie bag to the kids (Cathay Pacific gave a great backpack filled with toys/activities, the backpack was used by the kids throughout the trip).

Asians will give parents travelling with kids a lot more leeway than us "me first" yanks. Don't be shy about asking any store/hotel/restaurant for use of the bathroom while travelling. While shopping in BKK last week, one of the shop assistants asked me if my older son needed the bathroom (I hadnt noticed he was squirming and fiddling with his plumbing). In a couple of restaurants, the waitress brought over free ice cream for the boys because they werent eating the normal meal. [Sadly, I didnt get any ]

Get a small backpack for your daughter, and chances are she will be proud/diligent in keeping her snacks/clothes/toys/toiletries/etc... in it.

Get a couple of travel-size bottles of the hand-sanitizer gels, since kids that age love to touch everything.

The only two things I taught my kids pre-trip was 1. not to touch anything in any bathroom, keeping hands on lap when on toilet; and 2. to go to the bathroom before leaving any hotel/shop/restaurant

In Singapore, allocate a day or two for Sentosa. Also, eat at the food courts in all the major shopping malls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.