Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

AA or IB for travel with 4 month old

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA or IB for travel with 4 month old

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Which airline to choose for best chance to getting Bassinet?

We're entering the realm of new territory in traveling with our newborn and have so many questions now -- feels like we've gone from being travel experts to becoming newbies overnight!

Anyway, we're planning a trip to Andalucia and will be flying SFO - MAD next month. I have a choice of KL, AA or IB (Iberian). We're on a budget and will be only getting a lap ticket for our 4-month old daughter.

I have searched through various threads and the information on this forum is really helpful. For more likelihood of getting a bassinet, the general preference seems for a foreign carrier over a US one. From calling the airlines, seems like both have some limited bulkhead seats with bassinet hookups in front, but cannot guarantee us that we will actually get these seats. In fact, KL and AA say that the bulkhead seats are actually taken already -- have you found that airlines will bump seatholders to accomodate infants? AA also has "cardboard bassinets" as a backup-- what do you think about these? Your advice on which airline to go with?

Also, we have a Pliko stroller, which could be handy while there in Spain, but not sure if the airlines will allow a gate check of this sized umbrella stroller (or do they only let us check in the $20 variety at the gate?)

One other thing - we were not planning to take a car seat with us. Is that reasonable?

Last edited by skhosla; Feb 2, 2006 at 12:36 pm
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH
Hi there

I can't answer your questions about the bassinet but I can tell you that you can gate-check any type of stroller (I have a full-sized Graco Metrolite).

Whether or not to bring a carseat is a personal preference. I never brought the carseat but instead carried my daughter in a Baby Bjorn on the flight. When traveling by car from the airport to the hotel I would also have her in the Baby Bjorn and then have the seat belt going across both of us. Unless you are going to be doing a lot of driving once you are there I wouldn't bother with the carseat. Another alternative is to rent a carseat at your destination.

Paula
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:53 am

In my experience your chances of getting a bulkhead seat on AA are slim. I would strongly suggest IB or KL - both are good with infants. I would call KL in the Netherlands to ask whether bulkhead seats are really taken or the seats just blocked off at this time for later allocation. They will bump passengers from these seats to accomodate parents with infants - but there may allready be infats allocated to the bulkhead rows. All in all, I would prefer a direct flight on IB - you will also get fewer dirty looks on IB as Spain has a very kid friendly/tolerant culture and you should be able to reserve a basinet seat.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Paula_Miller
Hi there

When traveling by car from the airport to the hotel I would also have her in the Baby Bjorn and then have the seat belt going across both of us.

Paula
To be honest - in case of a crash your baby will get crushed by your weight - so this is not a very smart idea at all!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
If your seeking AA miles on IB,

economy tickets don't get 1 for 1 mile flown. Check to make sure you are actually getting what you assume you are entitled to.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice -- I am going to go with a European carrier, then. Will look into KL (and AF, which is also a one-stop option from here in SF).

Good to know that any stroller gets gate-checked -- even internationally, right?

As far as getting to the airport goes, we'll be getting dropped off, so baby will be safe in car seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.