Wiki Posts
Search

Kids who get sick on planes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS
Kids who get sick on planes

I have a 7 year old that always is sick on airplanes. Recently we gave her dramamine (sp?) and it seemed to work OK.
Now my 2 and 10 year old have both been sick with turb. as well. (not everytime, but we surely know where the bags are)
We love to travel and I would be happy to hear any other suggestions for this if anyone else has this problem!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:00 pm

Programs: nwa
I used to have the same problem when I was a child as my parents were sharing my brother and I (living in different countries) not flying was not an option , my mother came up with the idea of giving me mint tea or chamomille to drink on the flight it was calming and get the insidents from happening as often
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:02 am

I am really sick on the plane most of the time and I tried a number of remedies. I started early ( at the age of 8) being sick on the plane.

The best thing is not to take medecine if possible as Gravol is making drowsy. I take it if I don't have other choice.

What you can try with kids:

Ensure that they ate something before taking the plane may be 1 hour before. Never take the plane with an empty stomac.

On the plane the best is not to eat too much, as the food tends to expand and gives a lot of gas and other trouble. I noticed that some juices like tomato made me really sick on the plane only, and some sorts of orange juice. (read tips on airlines pages, they mention some of it)

Drink more water and in case of sickness sip a 7up or a Sprite, a soda usualy helps digestion, but drink little by little.

While unwell, if possible open more and direct on you fresh air towards the face and cover the rest of the body if you are cold.

Keep a toothpick between your teeth in front and breathe through your mouth.

There are homeopathic remedies especially for flights sickness and as last I use Gravol.

I have to say that even taking a medecine didn't prevent from it 100%. So still be ready with a bag just in case but hide it. Just the idea of the bag can lead to throw up (sorry). But after it is done usually I feel better.
Most of the time all the natural ways mentionned above worked for me. However I was sick 2 times in a way that nothing would help.

Good luck.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:25 am

Programs: PPS Krisflyer, Miles and More
As a child, I was sick on planes, trains, cars, boats. Fortunately, this problem disappeared when I was 14 years old.
Here in Switzerland one can buy a special kind of chewing gums that help with motion sickness. The good thing about them is that you can take them when you feel the first symptoms. Like this, you don't have to take medicine as a prevention. Ask in your pharmacy if they sell tomething like that.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:52 pm

Besides the usual Dramamine (or Bonine once they get old enough), one of the most important things is being careful re: what they eat.

Our rule is no dairy at all the day of a flight, and also nothing with citric acid (which lets out tomato or orange juice), and nothing greasy (no pizza, hot dogs, burgers, etc.) Bring bottled water and have them sip it, and also bring your own plain salty snacks that contain NO CHEESE! Saltines are usually good. If the flight is long enough to make a meal a necessity, pack your own.

I find it is good to give a proactive dose of Guaifenesin as well, to thin out any postnasal drip that might trigger a gag reflex.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:33 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
I know this works for car sickness not sure about air - but putting your feet on news print for some reason stops the nausea - my mum and aunt SWEAR by it.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:50 pm
dba

Programs: TWA(sigh), JetBlue, Delta
I think it's completely due to the placebo effect, but my 6-year-old niece is TOTALLY cured of her airsickness by those little wristbands that have a pressure point on each one.

Like these: http://tinyurl.com/9qx8x

But placebo or not, if they work they work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.