Wiki Posts
Search

Bumping the Baby?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Platinum
Bumping the Baby?

I'm flying with 2 infants in car seats on Northwest using the 50% infant fare. Our outbound filght appears that it may be overbooked. The seat map only had 6 available middle 'P' seats left before we purchased 5 tickets. We were not allowed to select any of the seats due to lack of status. Does anyone know of any rule/regulation that could/would 'bump' the infant(s) into our laps if the seats could be used by other (non-infant) passenger(s)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I don't know of anything that would allow NW to involuntarily bump your infants out of their seats before involuntarily bumping someone else, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Your protection against involuntary bumping (in all cases, not just with 50% infant fares) is to check in early (is online checkin a possibility - like 24 hours in advance?) and then get to the airport and to the gate well in advance of the departure time. Involuntary bumping almost always affects those who check in late or get to the gate late.

Here's a short discussion of AA's policies on involuntary bumping:

If at departure time more customers with confirmed reservations are present than there are seats available, gate agents will first ask for volunteers who are willing to give up their seats in exchange for compensation and a confirmed seat on a later flight. On extremely rare occasions, a customer may be denied boarding on an involuntary basis, if a sufficient number of volunteers is not obtained. In such events, we will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage program. With few exceptions, persons denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to compensation under federal law.
I assume that NW follows similar policies. Ge there early and try to get seat assignments. Check in early and get to the gate early. This is no time to dawdle and lazily get to the airport shortly prior to boarding.

The good news is that no major airline bumps a large percentage of pax; most oversales are resolved thru voluntary "bumps" in exchange for vouchers or free tix. Very few people are actually involuntarily bumped.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by FormerFF
I'm flying with 2 infants in car seats on Northwest using the 50% infant fare. Our outbound filght appears that it may be overbooked. The seat map only had 6 available middle 'P' seats left before we purchased 5 tickets. We were not allowed to select any of the seats due to lack of status. Does anyone know of any rule/regulation that could/would 'bump' the infant(s) into our laps if the seats could be used by other (non-infant) passenger(s)?

Thanks in advance.
I've had FA's tell me that a flight was full as we boarded and baby had to go in my lap, not his carseat - until I showed them his ticket, and said he was going to sit in the seat we had purchased for him.

If I were you, I'd call ahead and try to get seats designated for the infants in advance, as car seats have to go at the window on single aisle planes (or so NW has told me many times). I suspect if you can't get window seats, they could get sticky about allowing you to strap in the car seats, which defeats the purpose of buying the infants tickets.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Platinum
Thanks for the good info. We were able to get 4 of our 5 seats together.

Here's what we're looking at right now.

P9 F9 Y0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 V0 L0 T0 K0 (our flight)
P9 F3 Y0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 V0 L0 T0 K0 (4 hours later)
P9 F9 Y9 B9 M3 H0 Q0 V0 L0 T0 K0 (8 hours later)

I'm guessing there will be bumps one way or another.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by FormerFF
Thanks for the good info. We were able to get 4 of our 5 seats together.

Here's what we're looking at right now.

P9 F9 Y0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 V0 L0 T0 K0 (our flight)
P9 F3 Y0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 V0 L0 T0 K0 (4 hours later)
P9 F9 Y9 B9 M3 H0 Q0 V0 L0 T0 K0 (8 hours later)

I'm guessing there will be bumps one way or another.
There's still at least 9 F seats to sell. I wouldn't go counting bumps just yet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.